Another accident caught on camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
The motorist ignored the highway code which states:

The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

Two wheels good, four wheels bad thinking like that is part of the problem.

The cyclist was not on the road, was breaking the law and ignored the highway code.

The motorist was on the road, diving and indicating as required by the highway code.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Two wheels good, four wheels bad thinking like that is part of the problem.

The cyclist was not on the road, was breaking the law and ignored the highway code.

The motorist was on the road, diving and indicating as required by the highway code.
What two wheels good four wheels bad thinking? Cyclist was riding like a nobber but that doesn't give anybody the right to deliberately steer an obstable into his path. I have already demonstrated that the driver was breaking the highway code by not giving way to avoid an incident.

If I see someone driving or riding in an unsafe manner, my reaction is to keep away from them. Let them go and be unsafe elsewhere, have a collision with someone else. I couldn't give a stuff about the law, I just want to continue my journey safely and without incident. Had I been driving that car and seen that cyclist I would have waited and let him be on his merry way, on the road, pavement, whatever. What the driver in the video chose to do was petty, vindictive and dangerous.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The motorist ignored the highway code which states:

The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

That happened in my accident. I could not stop as the driver turned right in front of me. I could not stop. Even a full on DH MTB would not have stopped.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
What two wheels good four wheels bad thinking? Cyclist was riding like a nobber but that doesn't give anybody the right to deliberately steer an obstable into his path. I have already demonstrated that the driver was breaking the highway code by not giving way to avoid an incident.

You have demonstrated no such thing, you have wrongly argued it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You have demonstrated no such thing, you have wrongly argued it.
Why wrongly? For it to be wrong, either
  1. The motorist was unaware of the presence of the cyclist. This would be poor observation.
  2. The motorist could not reasonably have expected the cyclist to carry on across the junction as he did. This would be poor anticipation.
However, from the motorists actions and comments following the collision, it seems probable that the motorist was aware of the cyclist, anticipated that he would continue riding across the junction, and deliberately manoeuvred his vehicle in order to form an obstruction and cause a collision. Therefore the motorist is in breach of the part of the highway code I have quoted upthread.

winjim

Smash the cistern
That happened in my accident. I could not stop as the driver turned right in front of me. I could not stop. Even a full on DH MTB would not have stopped.
Does the motorist claim they had priority? Or that they didn't see you?

winjim

Smash the cistern
only in the minds of CC militants.
I don't think it's particularly militant to wish that private citizens would not act as judge, jury and (sometimes literally) executioner against the perceived offenses of others.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Why wrongly? For it to be wrong, either
  1. The motorist was unaware of the presence of the cyclist. This would be poor observation.
  2. The motorist could not reasonably have expected the cyclist to carry on across the junction as he did. This would be poor anticipation.
However, from the motorists actions and comments following the collision, it seems probable that the motorist was aware of the cyclist, anticipated that he would continue riding across the junction, and deliberately manoeuvred his vehicle in order to form an obstruction and cause a collision. Therefore the motorist is in breach of the part of the highway code I have quoted upthread.

Supposition and assumption.
Stick to the facts.

The cyclist was cycling illegally on the pavement and entered the roadway in contravention of the highway code.

Last edited by a moderator:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
You can clearly see the cyclist on the pavement so if that was me I would be watching him in my mirror to see what he is going to do as I was signalling to turn and then act accordingly, after all if he is going to ride on the pavement there is little chance he is going to bother stopping at the road end. I see pavement cyclists do this all the time round here, I once had one go right in front of me across a main road at a crossing he didnt slow down let alone bother stopping to wait for the lights to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom