Another Aldi cycling event coming up - 26Sep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geekinaseat

Tons left in the Grays store at 7pm so I stocked up for winter!

I picked up the waterproof trousers, little light set, merino jersey and skullcap.

All looks pretty good quality and fits well, the only question mark I have is the breathability of the trousers but I tend to take it easy on the way in to work anyway so shouldn't be an issue.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Agreed, I got a compression top and love it.

Ditto, my god it's warm!

Mr McHenry

I bought a winter jacket today and it feels quite good and fits well. - Excellent value for £16! The merino tops felt pretty rubbish though and false economy for £14(?). Maybe after a few washes the'd soften up, but they felt thick and scatchy. I've just bought an Endura Baa Baa and it feels a lot softer and thinner to wear as a base layer.. Nearly 3x the price though..

nappadang

Über Member
Had to try out the soft shell this morning. I wore it without a base layer and it was too warm until I unzipped it a little.
If I'm honest, I have similar mountain jackets that breath much better (slightly sweaty arms after 30 mins) but they both cost more than 8x the price of this jacket.
I've no doubt this will prove to be an excellent buy and will come into its own during the cold weather.
If you can still find one, I'd get out and buy one if I were you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can confirm the Merino tops are absolutely fine. They aren't 'thick'. Ended up with one large and one Medium. Compared against each other, the Large is an inch wider layed flat. Worn it's a little baggy for me, but was OK enough not to get it altered. As someone who finds wool 'scratchy' these are fine in my book. Certainly 100% wool, and leaves you much fresher than synthetic tops.

PS the soft shell tops are too warm to use yet - wait till it drops below 8c and windy. You'll need them then

Last edited:

crazyjoe101

I bought some overshoes, gloves, a winter jersey, M + L trousers (non waterproofs), arm warmers, 2 pairs of socks, reflictive stip things and batteries. I nearly got a winter jersey but the zip casued the front to bunch up in a big bulge, even in a tight fitting size :sad:. I went to Aldi Catford at about 17:30 and many sizes had sold out, no merino in sight so tried my luck at Old Kent Road (both in the shop and the road) and they had some larger overshoes but it was a little bit lively in there to say the least.

The large trousers and arm warmers are going back because they don't fit; along with a pair of socks as they're white and I didn't notice...

I wore the jersey, trousers and gloves today and was happy with all of them, the seam's annoying on the winter jersey but OK on the bike, it kept the worst of the wind chill off me. I love the light fleecing on the jersey and trousers, perfect from when it's somewhere between base layer and no base layer weather. The gloves seem OK, I'll test the rest later on.

tigger

Über Member
GT85 - perfect timing as just running out. Socks, LED flashy bands and an extra HRM. The HR measured on the monitor seems to be about 10 beats lower than my Cateye one and reacts quite a bit slower to changes in effort. Not saying the Aldi one is wrong but there seems a difference. Can a monitor work but not count as many beats as it should do? I'll see if I can strap both on at once for a direct comparison :blush:

SamC

I was impressed with the ladies' winter cycling trousers and went back for another pair. Perfect fit, warm and comfortable. I got another pair of socks and some arm warmers.

The winter jersey (mens' large) is quite small considering the ladies' large stuff fits me. That might be summat to do with my chest mind you :laugh:. The gloves seem decent quality for a fiver.

Why are the ladies' jackets pink/purple? :angry: I'm not 5 :angry:.

Top Bottom