Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I wonder how long it will be before the urge to tinker and modify will drive you nuts. Really do like the orange/red stick er against the black.​

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I wonder how long it will be before the urge to tinker and modify will drive you nuts. Really do like the orange/red stick er against the black.​

I like stuff to look fairly standard and unmodified so I will resist the urge to pimp it. Future plans are just replace the head bearings and BB but neither are urgent.

12boy

Guru
Chris King Grip nuts headsets are nice...I have one on my B. I also installed a JIS Shimano BB which allows for either JIS cranks like Sugino and Shimano or the stock Brompton one, which actually quite a bit lighter than the ones with separate chain rings. It's hilly here so I added a 38 tooth chain ring to get some lower gears than with my 58. It is shifted manually but sometimes its good to have lower gears than are possible with only one chain ring.

Gazjacko

They are lovely town bikes and if you ever see one worse for wear it’s worth saving.
Skip to powdercoaters + eBay =
B”

12boy

Guru
Ha ha....very nice powder coat, but mine is exactly like the last picture. Well not exactly, but the same color scheme. I'm changing mine back to straight bar and bull horns from a moustache bar and am awaiting some Tektro brake levers to finish the job. Prolly ought to clean it up and touch up all the gouges and scrapes my slovenly habits and general klutziness have generated. I wouldn't mind a little powder coat, but the last I checked it was $250 and that's a little spendy. Then I would have to decide on what color it should be!

Gazjacko

Spoke nicely to the local powder coating company, said I was in no hurry and happy to social media the before/after pictures with a shout out to them, got it done for ÂŁ40!

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Thanks for this brilliant thread - really enjoyed it.

They are a bit special in how convenient they are, and a great laugh in they way they handle. A lot of character.

We managed to find a second hand 3 speed 2008 model with mudguards, newly fitted Marathon Plus tyres (glad it wasn't me!) and a front block & bag. It was in good condition, - touch wood - it's been perfect so far, after cleaning and oiling. The 54t chain ring gives a decent top gear with a tail wind, but would be tough for living somewhere hilly.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Appreciate the 50t advice, thanks. The tall gearing (with the 54t) has put off other cyclists in our home.
We did look at the Stronglight track chainset (39t) a few years ago, but there was a doubt that the Brompton would then be undergeared -a cadence through the roof - I'm suddenly thinking of that famous clip of Eddy Merckx training on rollers.

...but they are great bikes and this thread has been really interesting and good learning.

tom8195

Just won a compete Brompton crankset off eBay for ÂŁ15 delivered, so good result.
Hi, I think I've arrived at the right forum. My 3 speed brompton is 19 years old but only about 2,500 miles on it. However, I need a new chainwheel, rear sprocket and chain. I couldn't find the serial number - maybe I removed it when it arrived. I am looking for your guidance - a) is the chainwheel part of the crank or is it separate?, b) where can I get the parts? Many thanks.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The chain wheel is part of the crank and will probably be 44T.

I replaced mine with a good used 50t crankset and replaced the chain (there is a calculator on the Brompton website for chains)

newer bikes have a “spider” crank which benefits from a removable chain wheel, however you would also have to replace the bottom bracket for a later JIS type to fit the later crankset.

I would suggest looking for a good used 50t older style crankset on eBay and just fit a new chain and rear sprocket, also check the bottom bracket for any excess play at the same time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom