Another energy meter post.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
They still have not rung back to arrange for my broken gas smart meter to be replaced. Will I get a whole year of free gas due to their incompetence?
No. You still have a working gas supply. It's likely to be not their incompetence but the problems with the company that actually install the meters. I had lots of issues getting my smart meters working (I was with Bulb at the time) none of which was down to Bulb and all of which was down to the meter company.

I'd drop them a line.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The reason being that every customer has a " referral code " linked to their account. If you quote this when switching to Octopus then both you and the referrer get a £50 credit on their account.
Here's mine for example: 😉
Thank you for the info.
My neighbourg has just switched to Octopus after I suggested it.
I will ask her for the referral code: she is a pensioner, will appreciate the extra credit ^_^

Someone claiming to be Shell texts me every few months to get a smart meter fitted 'before all the appointments go'. I ignore them.

Ill probably get one when I redo the kitchen, until then it's hassle I don't need for little benefit.

icowden

Veteran
Erm I’ve been in correspondence 10 months. They have already not turned up to an appointment to replace the meter. No idea what your No is about. A whole load of incorrect assumptions on your part.
Who is "they"?

When I had issues it was because I am in the Sarf and Siemens were the approved supplier when I had them fitted. I can see that Octopus do do some of their own fitting now.

The "no" was to the question "do i get a years free supply of gas". Obviously you don't. Unless your gas supply was interrupted there is very little to compensate you for.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The "no" was to the question "do i get a years free supply of gas". Obviously you don't. Unless your gas supply was interrupted there is very little to compensate you for.

Actually I do get the gas free until they replace meter with a working one. My energy company has stated this in correspondence. I do wish you wouldn’t make stuff up, just so you can be contrary.

The only question is will this stretch out a whole year till they fix it?

icowden

Veteran
Actually I do get the gas free until they replace meter with a working one. My energy company has stated this in correspondence. I do wish you wouldn’t make stuff up, just so you can be contrary.
I'm not. It's unusual to offer free gas, if the supply isn't interrupted. My smart gas meter didn't work for 6 months. I still got charged for gas as it worked in backup manual mode and they could take a manual reading from it. Maybe share more information in the first place?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm not. It's unusual to offer free gas, if the supply isn't interrupted. My smart gas meter didn't work for 6 months. I still got charged for gas as it worked in backup manual mode and they could take a manual reading from it. Maybe share more information in the first place?

Well had you asked you would have found out the answer was yes, rather than making a whole load of assumptions. As to whether it’s unusual, how would you know? It might be quite common for broken smart meters.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Who is "they"?

When I had issues it was because I am in the Sarf and Siemens were the approved supplier when I had them fitted. I can see that Octopus do do some of their own fitting now.

Guy who came last week was an Octopus employee. Fitted a new " Smart " gas meter but wouldn't fit a new Electric meter as the existing cables, although sound were of V.I.R. Construction. I've emailed them saying that I've gone out of my way for their convenience, and now they want me to find and pay for an electrician to come and change the perfectly sound cables between my existing meter and distribution board before they will fit a Smart Meter.

classic33

Leg End Member
Guy who came last week was an Octopus employee. Fitted a new " Smart " gas meter but wouldn't fit a new Electric meter as the existing cables, although sound were of V.I.R. Construction. I've emailed them saying that I've gone out of my way for their convenience, and now they want me to find and pay for an electrician to come and change the perfectly sound cables between my existing meter and distribution board before they will fit a Smart Meter.
Sort of defeats the "replaced at no cost to you" part of getting a free smart meter.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My ex brothers in law electric meter failed up on the farm a few years back. As the electric company couldn't take a reading they went 10 month's getting free electric. Yes it took them that long to replace it

Yeah you’d think they’d want to fix these things as quickly as possible, rather than haemorrhaging money. At a guess I’d say there’s rather a lot of broken smart meters out there, but they don’t want it in the news. They are simply overwhelmed with issues with the new tech.

icowden

Veteran
Guy who came last week was an Octopus employee. Fitted a new " Smart " gas meter but wouldn't fit a new Electric meter as the existing cables, although sound were of V.I.R. Construction.
They might look sound but old VIR Cables when moved have a high likelihood that the insulation will crack / break and thus increase the risk of your house burning down. That might be why the engineer won't touch them.

Top Bottom