Another energy meter post.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Such as?

You can go round the house turning things off/on to see what's using the most energy with a standard meter.

Once that's done, and you've made a note of what is using what, it's just a meter like any other. The only people to benefit from smart meters are the billing companies.

It's not as though meters, gas or electric, are actually hard to read.

Exactly. I have smart meters which don't work in that they don't communicate with the display device or the energy supplier. I'm now pleased they don't work as it means I have to read the meter every month, this makes me very aware of our usage. If I didn't have to read the meter I wouldn't be aware of our usage other than when the bill arrived.

My old gas meter had become very difficult to read because of condensation behind the glass screen. I agreed to have smart meters to overcome this issue.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've been paying £116 a month for over a year now. I thought it was too much for a small flat. Maybe they'll suggest keeping the £600 and not billing me till I'm not in credit anymore. 🤔

That’s another option, why don’t you reduce the DD?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Did you give them a meter reading or is it an estimated bill?

Estimated.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You’ll probably need a reading before they’ll give you anything back or reduce your payments as they don’t actually know what you’ve used. Did you read the link?

Part of it says...

Your new energy costs based on actual meter readings

Electricity -£74.20
Gas -£172.84
Balance on 24th May 23
In credit £600.00

So they must be able to read both meters? I don't know how they can read that old gas meter. The electricity one is a lot more modern digital one.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I phoned Scottish Power this aft'. They offered me £300 back and a reduced to £40 a month from the current £116 monthly bill, or the whole £600 back and a monthly bill of £70. I decided on the latter, so from July my bill will be £70 a month. They also told me that both my electric and gas meters are smart meters, saying the gas one was fitted in August 2021. That's odd because I've been here since October 2017 and unless they nipped in and fitted it without my permission while I was out, as far as I know it's the same old meter. 🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My direct debit with Scottish Power has been approximately £70 a month, for about 5 months now, taken out of my bank account on the 5th of every month. Today being the 5th I see the amount taken out was £129.05. Why will this be? I notice their 'help line' only operates from 9am to 5pm, meaning i can't phone them to question it till tomorrow.

Top Bottom