Another energy meter post.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
They might look sound but old VIR Cables when moved have a high likelihood that the insulation will crack / break and thus increase the risk of your house burning down. That might be why the engineer won't touch them.

Yep - in a previous job I had to replace perished VIR wiring. That was 30 years ago when it was only half as old.
I'd recommend an electrical survey.

The other issue is some of it contains asbestos.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Guy who came last week was an Octopus employee. Fitted a new " Smart " gas meter but wouldn't fit a new Electric meter as the existing cables, although sound were of V.I.R. Construction. I've emailed them saying that I've gone out of my way for their convenience, and now they want me to find and pay for an electrician to come and change the perfectly sound cables between my existing meter and distribution board before they will fit a Smart Meter.

Which sounds pointless as the gas smart meter piggybacks off the electric smart meter for communication with the energy company.

presta

Guru
Well had you asked you would have found out the answer was yes, rather than making a whole load of assumptions. As to whether it’s unusual, how would you know? It might be quite common for broken smart meters.

The usual story I read on MSE is that people whose meter fails get an estimated bill, usually a ridiculous overestimate, hence their complaining on the MSE forum.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Actually I do get the gas free until they replace meter with a working one. My energy company has stated this in correspondence. I do wish you wouldn’t make stuff up, just so you can be contrary.

The only question is will this stretch out a whole year till they fix it?

We had a new gas meter fitted, it never moved off zero. When we contacted them about they said "Ohh we'll estimate your usage" I got Maz to trot into town to 'citizens advice' and they told her that no they couldn't do that so we got a @£300 rebate on the DD

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I fired off an email to Octopus yesterday detailing the chain of events and saying if they want me to have a smart meter they can sort it out.
I'm mystified.
The delineation is very clear; The meter belongs to the supplier, the subsequent wiring belongs to you.
The responsibility for maintenance follows ownership.

Admittedly the meter tails are a special case because because the terminations are sealed at one end, but any electrician can replace them, and your supplier may well enter into negotiations on cost. However, I doubt they will offer replacement as a good-will freebie, as they don't know how big a job it is.
In your shoes, I would have asked the guy if he could change the tails there and then. He would have looked it over and probably done it in 20 minutes for a few notes.

The guy didn't condemn your wiring or disconnect you, so perhaps replacement is not needed immediately - but the warning has been given. Was it a verbal warning?
I would be very cautious about ignoring a written warning, as that could potentially invalidate your house insurance just when you need it the most.

Good luck!

Tenkaykev

Guru
I'm mystified.
The delineation is very clear; The meter belongs to the supplier, the subsequent wiring belongs to you.
The responsibility for maintenance follows ownership.

Admittedly the meter tails are a special case because because the terminations are sealed at one end, but any electrician can replace them, and your supplier may well enter into negotiations on cost. However, I doubt they will offer replacement as a good-will freebie, as they don't know how big a job it is.
In your shoes, I would have asked the guy if he could change the tails there and then. He would have looked it over and probably done it in 20 minutes for a few notes.

The guy didn't condemn your wiring or disconnect you, so perhaps replacement is not needed immediately - but the warning has been given. Was it a verbal warning?
I would be very cautious about ignoring a written warning, as that could potentially invalidate your house insurance just when you need it the most.

Good luck!

He said he wasn't allowed to touch them and suggested I contact an electrician. It was only after he had left that I thought that I might have offered him money to do it there' and then, though he didn't seem to be angling for that to be fair.

Alex321

Veteran
What's illegal, estimating in the absence of meter readings?

AIUI, they can bill base on estimates if the meter is working, but just not transmitting, because eventually they will get the true value.

But if the meter isn't working at all, they will never get a true value to be able to correct it, and they aren't allowed to estimate in that circumstance.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What's illegal, estimating in the absence of meter readings?

Yep, if you went to a garage and the pump didn't register but they said "We think you put £50's worth in" would you pay it.

As I posted previously when our meter stayed on zero Maz went to citizens advice to check and they confirmed there was no way to charge for something they couldn't prove you'd used, we could have been on a world cruise for all they knew.
Like I said we got nearly £300 back off them that had been payed on direct debit, if someone wants to roll over to their bullying tactics then fine but we didn't.
Just our experience.

presta

Guru
Yep, if you went to a garage and the pump didn't register but they said "We think you put £50's worth in" would you pay it.

A quick Google finds me two people who claim that's exactly what happened, I recall seeing lots of them pop up when I had an account on MSE.

1696780030967.png

1696780071023.png

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A quick Google finds me two people who claim that's exactly what happened, I recall seeing lots of them pop up when I had an account on MSE.

View attachment 709179

View attachment 709180

In both of their cases they accepted an 'estimated usage' even if they did 'negotiate' it down a bit, that's what we were initially told but legal advice was sought by us and we were told "they cannot do that"
All I can say is we got a refund after Maz pointed this out to them, maybe the law has been changed since we got our money back (it was a few years ago) but energy companies are known to use 'bullying tactics' to wit their insistence that 'smart meters' must be fitted (a blatant lie) and increasing direct debit charges when the customer is massively in credit (both have happened to us and the company has been told where to get off)

presta

Guru
In both of their cases they accepted an 'estimated usage' even if they did 'negotiate' it down a bit, that's what we were initially told but legal advice was sought by us and we were told "they cannot do that"
All I can say is we got a refund after Maz pointed this out to them, maybe the law has been changed since we got our money back (it was a few years ago) but energy companies are known to use 'bullying tactics' to wit their insistence that 'smart meters' must be fitted (a blatant lie) and increasing direct debit charges when the customer is massively in credit (both have happened to us and the company has been told where to get off)

I sent an email to Ofgem yesterday:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Is it legal for suppliers to use an estimated bill if the consumer has already informed them that their meter isn't working? (I'm talking about complete failure here, not just a smart meter failing to communicate.) I'm finding conflicting answers online.
Regards,
And this was in my inbox this morning:

Thank you for contacting Ofgem about smart meters. This is an automated email that answers the most common queries about smart meters.
[pages of blah blah blah about smart meters]​
Just to let you know, we’ve sent this in response to your email as we’ve picked up on key words you’ve used. We review all the emails we receive, and if we can see that our automated response has answered your query, you won't receive any further response. If this hasn't answered your query, we will be in touch with you.
Kind regards
Ofgem’s Consumer Affairs Team
So if they recognise that they haven't answered the question I might hear from them again.

Edit:

I've just had a webchat with the Citizens Advice as follows:

CAB: "You would still be responsible to pay for your energy usage even during the period your meter was not correctly recording your usage. For any period where an accurate read could not be taken from the meter then the supplier can only estimate what they think you are using for these periods up until when they replaced the meter.

In a situation where the correct read is not obtainable the supplier would usually estimate your usage based on either your previous years usage or the industry average for your property type if there is no previous years data for yourself."

Presta: "ok thanks, that's what my understanding was too, and i've seen several online saying the same, but I have someone now telling me that they sought legal advice, and were told that suppliers can't charge on the basis of an estimate"

CAB: "You’re welcome, as far as we can advise the supplier is still able to charge based on estimated, you could ask for clarity on how they ae coming up with the estimations and if you dispute the amounts, would need to go through the suppliers complaint process then if needed escalate your complaint to the energy ombudsman."

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
My smart meter saga continues. Following on from the " Octopus Energy Smart Meter Team " saying that they couldn't fit the smart electric meter due to issues with the connection between existing meter and distribution board, I had a local electrician come round this morning. He looked at the installation and advised that it was more involved than first thought due to the " DNO service head being inside the house, mounted in the cavity and having no protection before the supply fuse "
He said to contact SSE the local network operator and get them out to take a look with regard to relocating the meter to an external housing.
Might be a bit spendy🤔

Top Bottom