Another energy meter post.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Today being the 5th I see the amount taken out was £129.05. Why will this be?
Probably the email requesting a reading(s) from you went to your spam folder, so they are estimating your bill.
Or the email telling you they decided to increase your direct debits (you can refuse) also went to your spam.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Or the email telling you they decided to increase your direct debits (you can refuse) also went to your spam.
So I can tell them I don't want to pay £129.05 a month?

DRHysted

Guru
So I can tell them I don't want to pay £129.05 a month?

Yes, that’s what my mum did. They then increased it again the month after, so she got it reduced again. So they contacted her informing her the reduced rate wouldn’t cover her predicted usage (she was over £400 in credit at this point). So she cancelled the DD and now has a quarterly bill much to their disgust, and despite the bullying they tried to force her to return to DD. She’s happy with this situation as she now pays for what she uses, and not plumping up their bank balance.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes, that’s what my mum did. They then increased it again the month after, so she got it reduced again. So they contacted her informing her the reduced rate wouldn’t cover her predicted usage (she was over £400 in credit at this point). So she cancelled the DD and now has a quarterly bill much to their disgust, and despite the bullying they tried to force her to return to DD. She’s happy with this situation as she now pays for what she uses, and not plumping up their bank balance.

Why is direct debit favoured by the supplier?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I phoned Scottish Power this aft. I was told that my tariff had changed, hence the substantial rise in my monthly payments. After a few choice words between me and the one who couldn't quite speak English, it's now down to £107 a month. She said that to reduce it lower would mean I'd be owing them every month. So there we have it. I'm now paying £107 a month for a one bedroom flat. :thumbsdown:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I phoned Scottish Power this aft. I was told that my tariff had changed, hence the substantial rise in my monthly payments. After a few choice words between me and the one who couldn't quite speak English, it's now down to £107 a month. She said that to reduce it lower would mean I'd be owing them every month. So there we have it. I'm now paying £107 a month for a one bedroom flat. :thumbsdown:
I think we can switch suppliers now, I'm going to look into it for myself.
Octopus seems to get good reviews.
Try getting a switch estimate from a comparison site?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I feel this is a bit of a lie: have never heard of meters needing replaced unless faulty.
In the 24 years I've lived here, both gas and elec meters have been replaced; neither due to smart metering, just swapping old for new.

Come to think of it, the gas might have been because I upgraded my boiler. Fairly certain the elec was just routine maintenance.

johnnyb47

Guru
I'm getting bombarded by letter's from EDF.
There trying all ways to get me to have a smart meter.
I just keep on ingoring them now,because I'm sick of calling them,telling them to stop.They just don't seem to listen though.
I feel it's almost controlling and I know if I do submit to a smart meter the next step will be them hassling me into paying DD, and to me that feels they have control over me.
Up until recently I was also getting this hassle through being bombarded with text messages too.
Why can't life be nice and simple like it was years ago when you just simply paid your bills quarterly.Bring back Manweb all is forgiven

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think we can switch suppliers now, I'm going to look into it for myself.
Octopus seems to get good reviews.
Try getting a switch estimate from a comparison site?

We're with Octopus, they're really " proactive " with trying to help people who might be struggling with energy costs, and the guy who runs it seems pretty genuine. If you do decide to switch it would pay to ask around family and friends to see if any of them are with them. The reason being that every customer has a " referral code " linked to their account. If you quote this when switching to Octopus then both you and the referrer get a £50 credit on their account.
Here's mine for example: 😉

Your Octopus Energy Referral code
Use this link to sign up to Octopus - https://share.octopus.energy/loyal-otter-721

classic33

Leg End Member
In the 24 years I've lived here, both gas and elec meters have been replaced; neither due to smart metering, just swapping old for new.

Come to think of it, the gas might have been because I upgraded my boiler. Fairly certain the elec was just routine maintenance.
Up until smart meters, the only common reason for changing a gas meter was on safety grounds. There was even a "life" on the meter, at which time it would be replaced.

Top Bottom