Another good reason to not adopt disc brakes on road bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
It's a shame Mavic aren't making ceramic rims in road sizes any more. Rims don't wear out. Nor do you get covered in black alloy gunk when handling the wheel.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
It's a shame Mavic aren't making ceramic rims in road sizes any more. Rims don't wear out. Nor do you get covered in black alloy gunk when handling the wheel.

God damn I hate that stuff. Didn't realise ceramic rims stopped it. Don't Rigida still make some?

Looks like they do - the Rigida Grizzly (19mm internal width). Pricey though at £70; I usually only spend about £30 on a rim.

Last edited:

Bodhbh

Guru
Anyone mix them up? Having read this thread, I might just put the Norco disc fork on the Scott...

I ran with front disc, back v-brake on my Roadrat for a while. It was an old frame and you couldn't run a rack and discs without some sort of bodging with spacers. Worked fine, not much to say about it - the breaking was better at the front and modulated differently but like most things you get used to it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my old commuter used koolstop salmons rim blocks (with shimano tiara callipers)

my new commuter uses tektro disc brakes

over the same commute (64km 4 times a week), it's obvious that the disc brakes are no better than the koolstops in the dry, but are better in the wet. they seem to wear down less too. the disc brake pads are more expensive, but i don't expect to go through a rear wheel rim every year now…

hatler

Guru
God damn I hate that stuff. Didn't realise ceramic rims stopped it. Don't Rigida still make some?

Looks like they do - the Rigida Grizzly (19mm internal width). Pricey though at £70; I usually only spend about £30 on a rim.
Yup, pricey, but they last way more than twice as long (presuming you don't ding them). Sadly the Grizzly is not the rim for my bike.

Anyone mix them up? Having read this thread, I might just put the Norco disc fork on the Scott...

I put a disc on the front of my commuting bike. My main reason was for the better stopping in the wet, but also rim wear. I have 3 perfectly good rear wheels, and 3 worn fronts. I guess I should just replace the front wheel, rather than buying different wheel sets!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm considering buying a new road bike sometime in the next few months, and was pondering the merits of rim vs disc brakes. I read this article by Paul Allen of the Harris Cyclery (of Sheldon Harris fame): https://www.sheldonbrown.com/disc-brakes.html
It gives a very thorough list of the advantages and disadvantages of disc brakes. I must admit that I was put off disc brakes a bit when I got to the list of disadvantages of disc brakes.

Case in point, today I've been out for a ride with a couple of mates. The roads were filthy in places and the unrelenting grinding from one of lads bike every time he used his rim brakes was horrible to listen to, compounded by him struggling to slow down which led to him being very cautious on descents, while my discs just worked, virtually silently, time after time.
k.
Were his brakes making that noise at the beginning of the ride?

I made the mistake of putting mudguards on my best bike for the recent winter. I not only wore out a set of brake blocks in about 10 weeks of occasional riding, I also wore halfway through the rims of my best wheels too! :banghead:

I probably will not be buying another road bike in the near future but if/when I finally do, it will have disk brakes.

Mm

What will taking your front mudguard off do to the headset colin?

On rim brake "problems" and noise I can't help but wonder if some folks aren't keeping their rims and pads clean.

If I did lots of offroad I'd consider discs, but I don't.

The most teeth grinding noises I have ever heard have come from misbehaving discs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

No, the grinding under braking started within a couple of miles of us setting off though.

The question is, why were his brakes grinding? I'm on rim brakes and my brakes don't grind. The other question is, why do people get through rims so quick? I've always used rim brakes and I've never changed a rim, I usually find a wheel is seven or eight years old before rim wear becomes a concern, I'm doing 4 - 5000 miles a year split over two bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom