Another pathetic dim witted tweeting driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In the heat of the moment it's easy to say silly things. I've got no real problem with her saying this. If she had gone on to mow them down or use her car in any offensive sort of way I would think very differently, obviously.
Just saying stuff though doesn't rate too highly on my list of things to get annoyed about. There's loads of people I'd say I'd like to kill, but as yet I haven't done it.

Which is fair enough.. but saying it on social media is a bit stupid don't you think?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Which is fair enough.. but saying it on social media is a bit stupid don't you think?
Yes, it is stupid but as far as I know she didn't actually do anything. It is bad from a point of view of perpetuating this idea of cyclists being pariahs, which is something we don't really need on social media, but I'm not personally too annoyed.
I don't think it deserves any formal sort of sanction.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In the heat of the moment it's easy to say silly things. I've got no real problem with her saying this. If she had gone on to mow them down or use her car in any offensive sort of way I would think very differently, obviously.
Just saying stuff though doesn't rate too highly on my list of things to get annoyed about. There's loads of people I'd say I'd like to kill, but as yet I haven't done it.

Whilst I see your point, I dare say a goodly number of people here have had cars deliberately driven at them, certainly I have - it's not funny, and people do get killed. If you substituted, let's say "Paki" for "cyclist", the only-a-joke notion isn't really enough - even if Bernard Manning et al might think otherwise.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Whilst I see your point, I dare say a goodly number of people here have had cars deliberately driven at them, certainly I have.
Yep, and quite often by people shouting this sort of stuff, or threatening to hit you "next time".

It might, perhaps, be "funny" in a world where the chances of such a thing actually happening were so remote as to be surreal, but the UK is not that place, by any stretch of the imagination.

GrasB

Veteran
Bottom line is and what ever context the tweet was given or perceived. This thought behaviour against other vulnerable road users must be stamped out.
Something like the tweet shown imo should be a case of suspension of licence until such time as they complete a course on driver responsibility & complete a written test.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Whilst I see your point, I dare say a goodly number of people here have had cars deliberately driven at them, certainly I have - it's not funny, and people do get killed. If you substituted, let's say "Paki" for "cyclist", the only-a-joke notion isn't really enough - even if Bernard Manning et al might think otherwise.
I don't think those terms compare. As cyclists we don't suffer from the same level of prejudice as ethnic minorities, or I don't feel that we do. Once you get off your bike you look just like anyone else. Being of a different heritage or disabled or whatever is something that is with you all the time and I wouldn't want to equate the two. And she didn't drive at anyone as far as I know.
It wasn't funny and it isn't something I want people to be saying but I still feel that it wasn't that bad. Just stupid and tasteless but I wouldn't sanction those two things or I'd never be able to leave the house or go on tinternet.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Bottom line is and what ever context the tweet was given or perceived. This thought behaviour against other vulnerable road users must be stamped out.
But one cannot police what people think. I agree it should be discouraged, but there will always be people like this and also there will always be usually reasonable people who make poor judgement calls.
I think the bottom line is that she didn't actually drive at anyone shouting this. She perhaps should be sanctioned for texting and driving.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Agreed. It's worse. Journalists can write about deliberately killing or hurting cyclists just for being cyclists. They can't about ethnic minorities.
It's a fair point. I still don't think that in this particular instance she was trying to incite any hatred or encourage anyone to actually kill a cyclist, I think she was just being stupid and tasteless as she expressed herself. I think it's worth someone in authority having a word with her and that she is well deserving of any social media crap storm but I personally think that a formal sanction is not needed in this particular case.

No, I agree with you there, she's a silly person. It would be germane to ask where her delusion of entitlement comes from, it's not innate behavior so what prompts people to come out with poison like this?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
No, I agree with you there, she's a silly person. It would be germane to ask where her delusion of entitlement comes from, it's not innate behavior so what prompts people to come out with poison like this?
I think it's engendered by the whole driving culture, which seems to be one of entitlement. There is just not enough emphasis on how other road users not only have a right to use the roads but how they also help lessen congestion. People need to know that in the longer term (longer than sitting there for 5 seconds whilst a bike takes up their road) the more cyclists there are, the better off their own driving conditions will be.

Why don't cyclists crowd-fund PIFs that explain we're not trying to delay anyone, we're riding out of the doorzone/broken glass, puddles?

Top Bottom