Another pathetic dim witted tweeting driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't think those terms compare. As cyclists we don't suffer from the same level of prejudice as ethnic minorities, or I don't feel that we do. Once you get off your bike you look just like anyone else. Being of a different heritage or disabled or whatever is something that is with you all the time and I wouldn't want to equate the two. And she didn't drive at anyone as far as I know.
It wasn't funny and it isn't something I want people to be saying but I still feel that it wasn't that bad. Just stupid and tasteless but I wouldn't sanction those two things or I'd never be able to leave the house or go on tinternet.
I'm covered by those in bold, where do I stand? Some know I'm disabled and that I cycle. Some of those have aimed their vehicle in my direction whilst on the road. Crossing onto my side of the road to do so. For "fun" of course.
Whether they bragged about doing it after on social media, I'm uncertain. I am certain that its spread amongst their mates though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm covered by those in bold, where do I stand? Some know I'm disabled and that I cycle. Some of those have aimed their vehicle in my direction whilst on the road. Crossing onto my side of the road to do so. For "fun" of course.
Whether they bragged about doing it after on social media, I'm uncertain. I am certain that its spread amongst their mates though.
I've had the crossing into my side of the road twice recently something I'd never had happen on 2 wheels, maybe its 'safe' to do it to someone who is disabled (the tricycle and crutches stuck up like insect antennae are a bit of a giveaway) knowing that there's not a lot I can do about it.
This and other intimidation of cyclists does seem to be on the rise going by the number of posts on here and stories in the media, but why?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Why don't cyclists crowd-fund PIFs that explain we're not trying to delay anyone, we're riding out of the doorzone/broken glass, puddles?

Because cyclists (like most people) like nothing better than a good moan but won't actually do anything about it.

PIFs or some other media channel to get the message across is, I think, the way forward if the problem is actually one of education. Maybe the cycling organisations should lead on this?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Sorry if it seemed like a generalisation or over simplification. I meant that once one gets off a bike there is nothing to tell anybody that you're a cyclist (unless of course they walk around in loads of lycra with their cleats clicking on the supermarket floor). This is why I didn't want to equate cycling with other things for which people are discriminated against.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'd like to see a national ad campaign along these lines. TV and billboards. Don't know how it would be funded but still.
Well, it is either going to be the interest groups (in which case the people who potentially benefit from it will pay via subs) or government (in which case everyone pays regardless of whether they benefit or not).
Cyclists, being a tight-fisted lot, will want government to pay but if people feel strongly about the issue why not work with the interest groups to promote it?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well, it is either going to be the interest groups (in which case the people who potentially benefit from it will pay via subs) or government (in which case everyone pays regardless of whether they benefit or not).
Cyclists, being a tight-fisted lot, will want government to pay but if people feel strongly about the issue why not work with the interest groups to promote it?
In Leicester there is a Critical Mass ride every month and that's non-confrontational and has youngsters riding in it.
Last Friday in the month 6pm Orton Square (named after Joe Orton recently)
I'll be one of the people on a trike (uprong)

Cyclopathic

Veteran
In Leicester there is a Critical Mass ride every month and that's non-confrontational and has youngsters riding in it.
Last Friday in the month 6pm Orton Square (named after Joe Orton recently)
I'll be one of the people on a trike (uprong)
I'll say hi if I'm on it as well. I've been on the last 2 Leicester ones and may go on the next so will look out for trikes and say hello.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'll say hi if I'm on it as well. I've been on the last 2 Leicester ones and may go on the next so will look out for trikes and say hello.
I was the guy talking to the couple where the girl was riding the trike with the sound system on the back, she had a GoPro on her helmet but not seen any footage posted yet.
My first one after the accident so I was glad it was only a short one (but I can cheat on the next one, I've got an electric front wheel kit now for hill climbing.:biggrin:)

Top Bottom