Another pathetic dim witted tweeting driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
not sure if Carr could be a precedent or not. It seems most likely that she tweeted immediately after taking the picture, thus using the phone for communication, and not just as a camera.

classic33

Leg End Member
There are and we all, by and large, deplore the traffic that holds us up so why not campaign for a more draconian enforcement of the law in order to reduce the number of other drivers?
You mean like pleading it will cause hardship when you're getting more points to add to the 30 odd you already have on your licence. In order to keep driving.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
not sure if Carr could be a precedent or not. It seems most likely that she tweeted immediately after taking the picture, thus using the phone for communication, and not just as a camera.

Decisions in Mags courts cannot set legal precedent. Only decisions in Crown courts and higher can.
That is, if Carr's case had been heard in a Crown court (if for example he had been found guilty and appealed to Crown court where his appeal was upheld) then lower courts (Mags) are obliged to follow that precedent in similar cases.

As it is, because it was in a Mags court, other Magistrates are free to ignore the Carr case, although they may take not of it to inform their decision if they wish.

Similarly, if a case had reached Crown court and resulted in a guilty verdict, Mags would be obliged to find the defendant guilty in similar circumstances.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
but you dont bat an eyelid when it descend to talk of the death penalty and burkhas. How strange that you feel you can be selective in the irrelevance you choose to take umbrage at.

It take umbrage because the Burka Ban reference was in relationship to public opinion as to whether it's sociably acceptable or not as is riding 2 a breast on the public highway, which is the point to this thread. Your comments are just misogynistic off topic bow lacks.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Yep, I understood that. The point I was making is that all that aside, even if it was in the crown court, it's still irrelevant as she used the phone for communication.

Ah, got it.
Depends when she tweeted the photo I suppose.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is it a female only thing, making known through online social media, what you'd do/just done to a cyclist?
This is the third I've seen on here, and all three concerned are female.

I would suggest (based on my small circle) that more women are on social media than men so that method of publishing is probably more likely to be female but if you go to say pistonheads.com, you'll find the same sentiment more likely from men.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I would suggest (based on my small circle) that more women are on social media than men so that method of publishing is probably more likely to be female but if you go to say pistonheads.com, you'll find the same sentiment more likely from men.

I dip into the pistonheads forum from time to time (I'm not really into cars, so no idea why I do that) and the majority of posters there are pro-cycling, even well clued up on "road tax". Whenever someone says something anti-cycling they get roundly condemned by everyone else.

I dip into the pistonheads forum from time to time (I'm not really into cars, so no idea why I do that) and the majority of posters there are pro-cycling, even well clued up on "road tax". Whenever someone says something anti-cycling they get roundly condemned by everyone else.
Oh, there's plenty of arguments and plenty of cyclists, but it is started by the mostly-male idiots, and there are plenty on that site. I guess the difference is that they are often shot down but plenty do hold similar opinions.

EDIT: I need to learn a synonym of 'plenty'!

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've seen this sort of tweet pop up from men as well, fwiw.

I don't see *that* much from either sex because I tend to block retweets from the posters who RT it (not because I object to what they do in retweeting, so much as that I find it profoundly dispiriting that the sentiment was tweeted in the first place. As something of a jovial flippertigibbet, I find the repeated, pointless hatred of a certain type of motorist dreadfully ennervating). But it's there.

Top Bottom