Another womens saddle question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Janeyb

I know there are several posts on the forum about this topic but not much recently so just wondered if any of the ladies have some new saddle advice to offer. Yes. I know it's a very personal decision but it's a minefield trying to choose. So here's my problem - gentlemen do not proceed beyond this point - LADIES ONLY QUERY.
I'm upping the miles more now doing around 70 a week including a weekend ride of 30. Doing a charity 50 miler in June. Last few rides have resulted in chafing. I wear good quality bibs, use chamois cream and have even tried tilting saddle nose down slightly. Still no better. So any ladies got thoughts on a good saddle? Budget up to around £50 max.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What is your starting point? I've gone down the specialized route, I tried a charge one but really didn't get on with it and a terry one which was better though I still didn't like it but as you have said it's very individual - do you know anyone nearby that you can try?

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

Unfortunately not. No-one I know locally rides. I currently have a WTB Speed She saddle which I put on the bike as it's what I had on my MTB and found it comfortable. But obviously now I'm doing more mileage on the roadie it's just not up to the job. Was wondering about trying the Selle SMP TRK but it seems wide and other reviewers have said it's a little soft

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Forgive me if it's stating the obvious, but once you've found a basic shape that suits, it can be worth spending quite a lot of time trying minor adjustments to the tilt. I quite like the WTB so we might suit similar saddles- I like the widest part to be very flat, and am all for channels or grooves. I'm a Charge Ladle fan for the mtb and commuter. Looks all wrong on the roadie, where I have a Specialized Ruby. This is fairly minimalist, and probably not suited to riding styles that include a lot of coasting, but you might get on well with a sleeker sort if chafing is the issue. The big advantage of the Specialized ones is the choice of three widths- Specialized dealers will have one of those rather comic arse-bone measuring devices. The Ruby is outside your budget and the finishing is a bit disappointing for the money but they have others in the range. I also recently noticed a very promisingly-shaped Bontrager saddle in a bike shop in town, for about £30. Also available in three widths, and with a rival arse-measuring system! Got to be worth a go. Can't remember the saddle name, but looks like a new range so should be easy to track down. I intend to try one on a tourer.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Reading your post it comes across that you are discovering the problem with deeply padded saddles; they may be fine for a short jaunt up the road but for longer rides you need much less padding and a saddle, which fits you correctly because the padding will just chafe and make you sweat. Theclaud's Charge Ladle is a good one, Charge saddles are becoming very popular as the shape seems to be just right for a lot of riders.

I use a Charge Knife, which looks, well.... uncomfortably skinny but actually it's the best saddle I've ever had, you simply don't notice it on long rides.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Ah. The old Benevolent Cloud problem.

There are a number of factors to consider, but they're pretty universal: sit-bone width, position on bike, time on saddle and, not to put too fine a point on it, the sensitivity of your anatomy.

I've got a fairly simple On-One Inbred saddle with no cut-out that's great on the mountain bike but I couldn't possibly contemplate it on any of the road bikes, not even the tourer. On my tourer and my long-distance fixed gear I've got Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow saddles. I get on with these. They have a good, stable rear platform but aren't so wide or deep at the front that they cause pinching or chafing in the area where thigh meets groin. On the hack fixed I've got an old unisex Terry Ti Race saddle, but I can't use it for any real distance without getting saddle sores because the cut out is too big. It does look incredibly uncomfortable and hopefully puts thieves off, though. The race bikes have a more aggressive riding position and are a whole other kettle of fish. I'm still experimenting.

I know you said that your upper limit is £50 but I've found cheaper saddles to be false economy unless you are really lucky in finding one that fits. Having said that, the Ladies Gel Flow is on offer in all sorts of places (if you can stretch to an extra £1.10 you can have a blue one from On-One).

Where exactly is the discomfort? This makes a difference as to where you should start looking. If you've tilted the saddle down then I'm guessing it's the more sensitive areas that are suffering, so you want either pressure relief in the form of a cut-out or a softer nose. Looking at the saddle you've got I would think that the relatively rear positioning of the pressure relief isn't doing you any favours in the more head-down position on the road bike.

Having said that, tilting the saddle up to force more weight onto the sit bones can help. I've never found tilting the saddle down to be helpful.

If it's just one spot, you can try rotating the saddle the little -- there is no rule that says your saddle has to be pointing exactly straight forwards and backwards.

If it's any consolation, saddle choice seems to be something that a lot of women riders have trouble with.

Sam

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'm still searching for the magic formula to get a comfy saddle.

I thought I'd found the right one with the Bontrager saddle currently adorning the bike but for some reason recently it's just not been comfortable at all as the pressure is not pleasant. I must try and tweak it again to get it right.

Have SLR donna saddle, Ladyflow SLR, Specialized all no good...This saddle business is a very personal one and takes some time to get right..after years of riding, I am still not there!

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

Thank you all so much for your replies. It really is a difficult choice. Sam - you are correct that the discomfort is in .......ahem....more sensitive areas
blush.gif
. Oh I hope the boys aren't reading this but their problem if they do. Chafing / Skin soreness more than anything else...i.e. I don't have any discomfort on sitbone areas. I move around as much as possible on the bike but nothing seems to be helping. I guess as I am doing more miles more frequently it's going to happen but it's spoiling my riding so think I will up my budget and consider some other options. The difficulty is that I live in the wilds of Norfolk and finding a dealer that has the areseometer is impossible. I only have five weeks until my 50 mile event and after that we want to keep upping the mileage and try a couple of Sportives this year - so guess I'll have to bite the bullet and give something a go. The Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow seems to crop up alot in peoples recommendations and I met a lady out yesterday on her spanking new Boardman (yes...you can detect a hint of jealousy!) who had put the Selle on hers and loved it. Guess if I don't get on with it then someone else might so can hopefully sell it.

Thanks again for advice. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Ravenbait

Thank you all so much for your replies. It really is a difficult choice. Sam - you are correct that the discomfort is in .......ahem....more sensitive areas
blush.gif
. Oh I hope the boys aren't reading this but their problem if they do. Chafing / Skin soreness more than anything else...i.e. I don't have any discomfort on sitbone areas. I move around as much as possible on the bike but nothing seems to be helping. I guess as I am doing more miles more frequently it's going to happen but it's spoiling my riding so think I will up my budget and consider some other options. The difficulty is that I live in the wilds of Norfolk and finding a dealer that has the areseometer is impossible. I only have five weeks until my 50 mile event and after that we want to keep upping the mileage and try a couple of Sportives this year - so guess I'll have to bite the bullet and give something a go. The Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow seems to crop up alot in peoples recommendations and I met a lady out yesterday on her spanking new Boardman (yes...you can detect a hint of jealousy!) who had put the Selle on hers and loved it. Guess if I don't get on with it then someone else might so can hopefully sell it.

Thanks again for advice. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

If the chaps around here are gentlemen, they will behave themselves and refrain from comment.

If the sensitive areas are to blame then I would recommend looking for something that takes the pressure off them. I recently bought a Selle Italia Diva, about which I've heard nothing but good things, although it is terribly expensive. I haven't had a chance to try it yet because I've had bronchitis for 5 weeks
angry.gif

Anyway. There is also the Terry range, which many people rate. As this has been something of an obsession of mine for the past gods know how long, I can report that ladies who have a less flexible back (or relaxed riding style) and more robust "bits" report success with more minimal pressure relief (including Brooks saddles, the very idea of which fills me with horror). A more flexible back tends to encourage a more aggressive riding position, and then the cut-out becomes more useful unless the sensitive area is considerably less sensitive. Sensitivity tends to be correlated with certain specifics of anatomy, and I'll be buggered if I'm going to discuss those in public because I am not in the mood for another thread derailed by inappropriate commentary. Do feel free to contact me by PM.

If you have a flexible lower back and a sensitive frontal area, the trick seems to be to find a saddle that allows you to have the sitbone area reasonably level while the front is either out of the way/neutral (upright riding style) or configured to give pressure relief with support (Terry Ti Race, Selle SMP). Because there will inevitably be some weight on the front, no matter how flexible your back, unless you're a contortionist with insanely strong abs, you need to make sure that any such weight is as minimal as possible and on the bone either side of... well. I'm sure you get the idea. The bit where it hurts. Make sure you distinguish between pressure and chafing, too. You might find that a saddle that has pressure-relief in the form of a channel or a softer gel area may still cause chafing, or else it might give you just the small amount of pressure relief you need without causing any other problems.

Be careful about how wide any cut-out is. If it's too wide, you run the risk of putting too much pressure on the creases either side of the groin. The goal is to get most of the weight on the sit bones and the rest distributed across the bone cradle surrounding the softer areas. If you've got a stiff lower back and want an aggressive, head-down position then you're really going to struggle, I'm afraid.

I've ditched or passed on most of my unsuccessful saddles already, otherwise I'd offer to post you a couple to try them. All I've got left just now are a Planet X TT saddle, which is torture, and a men's Selle Italia SLR which I sat on for about two minutes before declaring it utterly unsuitable (in other words, both are practically new). The only other saddle I've got is due to be returned to its original owner.

Specialized may well be worth a go. You can measure your own sit bones thusly:

Get an A3 sheet of paper and a pencil. Put the former on the floor and sit on it so you are near to and parallel to one of the long edges. Bring your knees up to your chest and feel for your sit bones then mark where they are with the pencil. Now you can measure between the marks and you know what the effective width of saddle is that you need. Note that effective width isn't always what is quoted by manufacturers and you might want to look for something about 10mm wider if there is just one width measurement.

Sam

Fiona N

Veteran
I'll second Sam's comments on the Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow - I really am reluctant to even try any other sort of saddle and have to fight the tendency to hoard them just in case they stop making them. Although this isn't a problem as there's always something in Selle Italia's range which suits me - I've probably used them for more than 350,000km over the last 29 years (I got my first in 1982).

Anyway the point of this post was to mention that, if I recall correctly, I have an old-ish Gel Flow in the garage. It was replaced by a red one on my mtb but is still in good condition, which is why I was hanging onto it (unless memory is failing and I've already lent it out). I'm happy to mail it for you to have a try out - and if it suits, I'm not in a hurry to get it back so it's fine if you want to use it for your long ride as well.

I'll just go check and then we can go from there :biggrin:

Well I have now a grey/black Gel Flow in front of me. Would you like to PM me and we can make arrangements?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've heard (well I did try myself too :whistle: but decided that the shop was nearby to do it properly) that using playdoh you can sort of make your own cushion to try to measure you sit bones. From what I remember of the process in the shop it was best to wear leggings/cycle shorts (as opposed to the jeans I wore the first time) and that when you sat on the memory cushion thing, that my feet were slightly raised off the floor.

Then in addition to that measurement it depended on your riding style (upright as in sit up and beg vs low over the drops) to which size they recommended. I think if you sat up then you went up one size.

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

I'll second Sam's comments on the Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow - I really am reluctant to even try any other sort of saddle and have to fight the tendency to hoard them just in case they stop making them. Although this isn't a problem as there's always something in Selle Italia's range which suits me - I've probably used them for more than 350,000km over the last 29 years (I got my first in 1982).

Anyway the point of this post was to mention that, if I recall correctly, I have an old-ish Gel Flow in the garage. It was replaced by a red one on my mtb but is still in good condition, which is why I was hanging onto it (unless memory is failing and I've already lent it out). I'm happy to mail it for you to have a try out - and if it suits, I'm not in a hurry to get it back so it's fine if you want to use it for your long ride as well.

I'll just go check and then we can go from there :biggrin:

Well I have now a grey/black Gel Flow in front of me. Would you like to PM me and we can make arrangements?

Thank you so much for the kind offer but my husband hit the nail on the head this evening - we're doing this bike ride for the BHF in memory of a friend who died from cardiomyopathy last September. Aged 43. So you never know the moment and hubbie said I should just spend some money and get a good saddle as riding is what I love. So (before I read your post) I ordered the Selle Diva Gel Flow. But thanks anyway. If I don't get on with it and sell it on I'll take you up on that kind offer.

And thanks to everyone for taking the time and effort to reply. I'll let you know how I get on.

Globalti

Legendary Member
And is this a man's saddle, perchance?

It will be too narrow in the pelvis for a lady wishing to cover long distances.

Sam

Yes, but Theclaud recommended a Charge Ladle.

I read this post with interest because Mrs Gti has the same problem and is convinced a squidgy saddle is the way to go, rather than an anatomically correct saddle.

....and don't assume women have the monopoly on sensitivity! Blokes also have the problem of a couple of testes and tight lycra and a saddle but happily Mother Nature gave them somewhere to take refuge up in the lower abdomen at times of stress.

Ravenbait

Yes, but Theclaud recommended a Charge Ladle.

I read this post with interest because Mrs Gti has the same problem and is convinced a squidgy saddle is the way to go, rather than an anatomically correct saddle.

....and don't assume women have the monopoly on sensitivity! Blokes also have the problem of a couple of testes and tight lycra and a saddle but happily Mother Nature gave them somewhere to take refuge up in the lower abdomen at times of stress.

I didn't. My response was about width, that's all.

I'm just amused that the OP's request for ladies only was ignored within four posts and your recommendation was for a man's saddle, which wasn't clear from context. I have no doubt at all that men also suffer from sensitivity, although you'll have to forgive me for asserting that the particulars of that sensitivity are completely different, and I think it's great that you're interested, whether it's on behalf of your significant other or any other female cyclist you know. But as it's not clear from either your username or your profile that you are a man, I think it's only fair that you make that clear when responding with a recommendation to a thread that was labelled ladies only. Even if all the respondents are aware of it, there may be other women perusing the thread who are not.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, but this is a pretty informative thread on a topic that's of considerable interest to female cyclists. Finding a saddle when you're female can be really difficult, as many of our experienced female cyclists will no doubt confirm. I wouldn't say that my Selle Italia is really comfy when a guy is asking about a numb penis, after all, particularly not if the OP had asked for men-only responses — that's just good manners.

Sam

Top Bottom