Another womens saddle question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'll not mention then that Mrs FF, (her of low/no lower back flexibilty), and much frontal sensitivity has found much relief via a charge Ladle on her Boardman hybrid.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I'll not mention then that Mrs FF, (her of low/no lower back flexibilty), and much frontal sensitivity has found much relief via a charge Ladle on her Boardman hybrid.

The hybrid is fairly upright, though, no? I have an Inbred saddle on my mountain bike, and I have no end of trouble with sensitivity while riding. I was almost at the point of ordering one of those retrofitted Brooks jobs.

I'm quite happy to be corrected. I'm delighted, in fact, even if it does make things more complicated. It's always good to hear that there's another useful saddle out there worth trying.

Although I'll stick with my Selle Italia, thanks.

Sam

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Having worn out one of my trusty Terry tri-gels, I recently tried a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow (not the Diva) and it was comfortable from the off so I'm about to stock up...

Fab Foodie

The hybrid is fairly upright, though, no? I have an Inbred saddle on my mountain bike, and I have no end of trouble with sensitivity while riding. I was almost at the point of ordering one of those retrofitted Brooks jobs.

I'm quite happy to be corrected. I'm delighted, in fact, even if it does make things more complicated. It's always good to hear that there's another useful saddle out there worth trying.

Although I'll stick with my Selle Italia, thanks.

Sam
Correct, we got it (Boardman) because she can be fairly upright as she can't really bend too much and a really stretched position would cause all sorts of undercarriage chaffing, so yes. But from the reviews at Wiggle it seems there are racier users too. At £20 it's worth a punt. As Globalti says, their mens saddles have a very good reputation for comfort, so one assumes somebody at Charge knows what they're doing.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Don't exclude the lads. they have the same trouble as us ladies and are wealth of info.

the best advice i can offer is to get your sit bones measured and then get a saddle to fit your sit bones, and probably no more than 20mm wider than your sit bones, so that you have enough saddle to sit on, but not enough to chaff

i have a standard bontraguer that is 156mm and another saddle (can't think off the top of my head but i think it is a bonty also, but women's specific) that is 160mm. Both bought after having my sit bones measured. (i think i am about 150mm between the sit bones). i also had a fizik that was about 155mm.

Surprisingly, the women's specific one isn't as comfy. it's got a bit of a square edge, whereas the standard one curves softer at the edges.

The fizik was the comfiest, and it was a standard one, not women's specific.

if you get one with a hole in the middle, expect your "best china" to get wet in the rain. :whistle:

fimm

Veteran
Another option (not a cheap one...) is the Adamo saddle . I've just put one on my Time Trial bike. It is taking a little getting used to, but I feel I am getting used to it (the whole bike is new to me, so it is a bit of a learning curve all over). I've only been out on it 4 - 5 times.

It is set up to take all the pressure off the front and middle, err, "bits", because there isn't any saddle there! Instead, your weight goes on the sit bones and on the bones at the side of the sensitive area. (Does this make sense?)

I'm just mentioning it as another option in this useful thread. (Interestingly, they don't do women's specific saddles. They say that the differences between men and women are not significant when it comes to the fit of this saddle.)

Fab Foodie

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

Well.....the Selle Italia DIVA has arrived today. Looks fantastic. Let's hope it feels that way too! Fitting it later today and hoping to pop out later for a spin (although had a migraine this morning so may have to wait until tomorrow). Will keep you posted once I have done a couple of longer rides which I hope to do over the weekend.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Another option (not a cheap one...) is the Adamo saddle . I've just put one on my Time Trial bike. It is taking a little getting used to, but I feel I am getting used to it (the whole bike is new to me, so it is a bit of a learning curve all over). I've only been out on it 4 - 5 times.

That's the most expensive saddle I've ever seen!

Sam

Bluebell72

I am going to do the arseometer :wacko: test on kitchen foil on the stairs (as suggested elsewhere).

Janey, did you also look at your shorts?
When I bought a new pair, I could immediately feel that the gel padding in my old ones had gone pancake-thin.
A much easier ride.

And how much chamois cream are you using? I swear by Vaseline Intensive Rescue Cream (moisture lock) its about a fiver for a tub 250ml, at Tesco/Sainsbury.
I put on a dollop, rather than a smear, each 'side' and everything is fine. On a long ride, of 50 miles+ I check and re-apply, maybe at the lunch stop.

Initailly, I think I was being too sparing, and it wasn't just soreness that I experienced, but a kind of friction tear in the skin. Very painful, and not good for riding the next day.

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

Just a quick update. Quick 30 mile tester ride tonight. OMG what a difference. Could actually feel my sitbones for the first time ever. No chaffing. Very very happy with the Selle Italia Diva gel flow. Worth every penny so far. Thank you all for the advice and persuading me to spend a little more.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Bumpetty-bump!

My Specialized Ruby saddle collapsed at the weekend (right - get the gags out of the way quickly, and we can continue the discussion). I'm not going to buy another one, even though it was comfy, light, and looked good, because is just isn't very well made for the money. I've been toying with the idea of a Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow, but I can't quite bring myself to buy it. It has pink embroidery on and says "Diva" on it, FFS. Another tenner or so would get me the SLK Lady Gel Flow (OK, it's called "lady", but it doesn't have it written on the saddle, and it's a bit lighter). Has anyone tried one of these? Because the Diva is so popular, I can't seem to find any reviews for the SLK.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Claud, my new bike (did you know I had a new one :rolleyes: ?) has a Selle Italia saddle that says 'Dama' on the nose and 'Flow' on the back, and has the slot in the middle. It seems very comfortable so far (over 45- and 75-mile rides), touch wood. OMG I can't believe I just said that :blush: .

You have a new bike?????

:whistle:

Dama is a bit of Orbea branding, innit?

Top Bottom