Another WTF is that creak thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Excuse the profanity !
Replaced the BB on the rat bike a couple of weeks ago, well greased and greased the appropriate other bits but something still creaks on every pedal stroke , doesn't matter if im sitting or standing .I checked the seatpost about month ago and it seemed to be ok as it had a light film of grease too and the headset is probably in need of replacing but its one of those where youhave to change the whole headset so i doused it in light grease spray and it does move ok.
I have also checked the tension of chainring bolts, seatpost clamps ( sprayed the setpost with gt 85 too ) and even regreased the pedals.

The only thing left i can think of is when i put the BB in i didnt put any grease between the non drive side cup inner and the BB body so i am going to pull it this weekend and put some in , unless anyone can make any other suggestions ?

It is not the chain rubbing on the FD cage perhaps, as you say it is on every pedal stroke. Unless I am wrong I would`nt have thought it is because you left off grease on NDS BB cup. Have you looked at this website ?
https://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

Grease the spindles of the BB, as well as the cups. Grease the threads of the pedals, check the bolts on the chainrings. Lube the cables under the frame at the BB and the cable guide, and make sure the cable guide is good and tight:

Sharky

Guru
If you have a spare front wheel - try that to eliminate any creaks coming from the wheel.
Were you getting the creaks before you changed the BB?

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
Once had a crack in a head tube which was an unidentifiable creak until it tore open big enough to see.

Top Bottom