Another WTF is that creak thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
An advantage of using SPDs is that you can still pedal unclipped so it's a quick rule out of a cleat being the issue.
yup i know the spd creak and its not that :sad:

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I had a persistent and annoying creak from my bike and only discovered what was causing it when my handlebars snapped while climbing a big hill. It was quite an experience riding about 15 miles with one half of the handlebars attached to the bike and the other half loose in my hand. :whistle:

Stu Smith

Veteran
20170701_131311.jpg

Snap...

Stu Smith

Veteran
How did that happen?
Not sure. I set off to ride 60 mile hilly route, heard a quiet creaking around mile 30 this wasn't in time with my pedal stroke.
Got out the saddle to climb, I felt what I can only describe as a spongy feeling through the handle bar. At first I questioned myself, was I feeling okay 😆
Over the summit got off checked the bike and found nothing untoward. Carried on for a while, then around 50ish mile out the seat climbing again and snap the handle bar give way. A slow 10 mile ride back to the caravan.

Not sure. I set off to ride 60 mile hilly route, heard a quiet creaking around mile 30 this wasn't in time with my pedal stroke.
Got out the saddle to climb, I felt what I can only describe as a spongy feeling through the handle bar. At first I questioned myself, was I feeling okay 😆
Over the summit got off checked the bike and found nothing untoward. Carried on for a while, then around 50ish mile out the seat climbing again and snap the handle bar give way. A slow 10 mile ride back to the caravan.
In other words, no crash or anything else that could have set it up to break? Damn, that's bad. A handlebar that breaks must be one of the most dangerous things that can break on a bike other than a fork.

Looking at the angle you photographed that bar, I do think it is a poor design. A flat oval like that is very poor in flexion and that sharp transition from clamp area to aero area is looking for trouble. Look (it is a Look, isn't it?) should know better.

I was more shocked by the tape wrapping :eek:
Wrapping those flat bars is a nightmare. Turning that top, flat corner is neigh impossible without big chunks and steps. But...now that we are critiquing Stu's wrapping, there is just no excuse for not hunting down the exact red required. It simply isn't acceptable to use plain black on red tape.

Stu Smith

Veteran
In other words, no crash or anything else that could have set it up to break? Damn, that's bad. A handlebar that breaks must be one of the most dangerous things that can break on a bike other than a fork.

Looking at the angle you photographed that bar, I do think it is a poor design. A flat oval like that is very poor in flexion and that sharp transition from clamp area to aero area is looking for trouble. Look (it is a Look, isn't it?) should know better.
No, no crashes no knocks.
I was very wary of the handle bars when I first purchaed the bike, but after 5 years and thousands of miles confidence grows.
Standard bars fitted after that.

crossfire

here`s a laugh for you. My Carrera Crossfire developed a creak in the wet when the left pedal was at the bottom of the stroke, was thinking I`ll have to sort it later. Turns out it was the inside edge of my trainer rubbing against the crank arm, 3 days to work it out! So it may not be what you think

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
After buying new shoes I had a creak from the right shoe/pedal.:cursing:
It didn't creak with the old shoes.:wacko:
I spent 3Hrs faffing around with the shoe/cleat trying to find what was causing the creak.:angry:
I even went as far as trying the old SPD cleats from the old shoes.
After removing the cleats and packing the shoes ready for returning as faulty....

…….The wife calls out and asks "Is this supposed to be loose!":notworthy:
One bolt holding the cleat on the pedal was slightly loose!:whistle:

Top Bottom