Another WTF is that creak thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Have you checked the stem - handle bar bolts.
yup
Saddle rails often seem to loosen up in these parts.
checked still creaking
Spokes are notorious sources of creaks. Check the tension and condition of the spokes.
not that sort of noise
If you have a spare front wheel - try that to eliminate any creaks coming from the wheel.
Were you getting the creaks before you changed the BB?
no

Once had a crack in a head tube which was an unidentifiable creak until it tore open big enough to see.
Friend of mine had a truvative powerspline on a mtb, creaked from new and couldn't stop it creaking no matter what we did, only stopped when he threw it in the bin :okay:
I have a new truvative power spline on my Boardman Hybrid which creaked like a good’un when I put it in. The creak dissapeared when I put a load of wet lube between the cranks and the BB (the BB side of the cranks ) and lubed the splines on the spindle.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
I had a persistent non BB but BB like creak that was eventually solved by greasing the interface between the forks and the quick release skewers.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I have a new truvative power spline on my Boardman Hybrid which creaked like a good’un when I put it in. The creak dissapeared when I put a load of wet lube between the cranks and the BB (the BB side of the cranks ) and lubed the splines on the spindle.
i have already greased the splines but i will give it another look

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I've had a recent creak caused by rear QR not sufficiently tight. Took me forever to locate it.

Worth a try?
well i have regreased every bit to do with the BB, checked saddle , skewers etc and checked tightness of everything else .Tried it on the turbo but you can only hear the turbo noise so cant test it till the wind drops below blow you into a hedge speed .

Gunk

Guru
I spent an hour recently trying to adjust the head bearings when I finally realised that the front wheel skewer had become loose. :crazy:

Tom B

Guru
Once had a crack in a head tube which was an unidentifiable creak until it tore open big enough to see.

Spent two years chasing a creak before learning to love it. Then found a crack in my forks that looked like it had been there years.

New stock forks, no creak. The crack was hairline and only identified due to corrosion blistering the paint around it.

On another bike I had a creak due to the bar flexing. No amount of tightening, cleaning reassembly cured that.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I once had a mystery creak. After numerous visits to my LBS, well probably three, I went to collect the bike.

I was handed a pair of new cleats. "Would you mind changing these" Silence became golden once again. The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

Top Bottom