Anti depressants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
feckless said:
Thanks Kirstie, you're right of course. And yes, I do have a counsellor.

For all the strong emotions, there remains something inside me that won't yet give up on the hope of feeling normal again. That alone makes me realise that I'm in a far better place than many people.

f

Have you had any time off work sick? It comes highly recommended for this kind of thing. I have done so on a number of occasions and each time it has worked wonders. I've just sat and done absolutely nothing and not felt guilty about it.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I was prescribed prozac once. The GP just gave me a load and that was that. It took someone with sense to tell me to start off with small doses and build up to full dose. Then when I was feeling the effects and getting my life back in order to start very slowly weaning myself off over a couple of months. That long drawn out process meant that I was ok at the end of it and haven't been 'down' ever since.

I have seen people I know follow the GP's prescription and end up having manic highs and lows every time they came off the meds or changed meds or dose.

Smeggers

Fnaar said:
Sorry Smeggers, not meaning to be glib or to offend; as it happens, I have been there, taken the tabs and come out the other side. My comments were from my own experience, and quite seriously, that is my own personal way of dealing with stuff.
Over reaction on my part too sry.

My mothers been clinical for 20 years or so now, been through some terrible times. Maybe its just that coming out.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Smeggers said:
Yet another "pull yourself together" argument from someone who doesn't understand what depression is.

Mental Illness needs some serious PR in this country.

Sorry Smeggers, not meaning to be glib or to offend; as it happens, I have been there, taken the tabs and come out the other side. My comments were from my own experience, and quite seriously, that is my own personal way of dealing with stuff. That, and posting gurning competitions on cycling forums.;) I was a nurse before I found my current career, and have wide experience of dealing with people's mental health issues, and my wife still does that, so there!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Smeggers said:
Over reaction on my part too sry.

My mothers been clinical for 20 years or so now, been through some terrible times. Maybe its just that coming out.

No probs, been there with me own mum, who drank herself into an early grave! ;)

barq

Most antidepressants take a while to work, come with side effects and it can take a while to find the appropriate drug and dosage. However I do think they can be very valuable especially for people who are too depressed to do some of the more proactive things mentioned in this thread. Someone with major depression may not otherwise be capable of getting on their bike for a ride - that's the nature of the disorder.

My personal experience of antidepressants is quite mixed but I think depression is a tough nut to crack and that can mean attacking it in numerous ways: Antidepressants, CBT/counselling, changes in lifestyle/career... (with the caveat that some alternative remedies don't mix with prescription drugs, e.g. St John's Wort).

gbb

Legendary Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
Have you tried Citalopram? They work for me. That's why I'm so cheerful all the time!!!;)

Acupuncture can be really effective also. PM me if you want more info.

Thats the one..i couldnt remember what i was taking.

Differing advice..ditch the tablets may be good for some...but it's not the answer for everyone.
Citalopram lifted me out of a deepening depression where i was getting toward the end of what was tolerable. 10 years of denial or fighting the moods, occasional lifts, deepening gloom...and why ?...because i was too stubborn to get help.
I cant believe the change in me within 3 weeks...why oh why did i suffer for so long when help was there, just waiting.
As i said earlier, 3 months in and i started to lose sexual urge. No more....i'm not having that :biggrin:.
I didnt regress personally....i'm not 100% now ...dont think i ever will be again, thats why its important not to deny the obvious. In the long term your thought processes suffer, you lose the ability to laugh as you used to, you become more introverted, etc etc.
Citalopram did it for me..i'll be eternally greatful.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Smeggers said:
Shes doing that too. Horrible to watch.
Yes it is. I left my job at the time (this was 18 years ago*) to move home and "help" her. I only succeeded in zarking around with my own mental health and career, had to admit defeat, move out and watch from afar while she did what she was always going to do. You have my sympathies, and I wish you (and your mum) well.

(*pedant point... actually 22 yrs ago, now I think of it! I was only 24 myself! She died 18 yrs ago though)

Smeggers

Fnaar said:
Yes it is. I left my job at the time (this was 18 years ago*) to move home and "help" her. I only succeeded in zarking around with my own mental health and career, had to admit defeat, move out and watch from afar while she did what she was always going to do. You have my sympathies, and I wish you (and your mum) well.

(*pedant point... actually 22 yrs ago, now I think of it! I was only 24 myself! She died 18 yrs ago though)
thanks dude.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

yes I have been on Citalophragm celexa as well, also lustral, venlafaxine, parxoetine, fluorextine all on various doses but mostly up to the max allowable. I also had CBT and a 3 week stint in a psych unit....but that was several years ago now.
I can honestly say that the illness is dibilitating, so are th epills imho. I was diagnosed with ME and spent 3 years to fatigued to move, on the floor mattress pretty much....which is why I got so big, i literally didnt go anywhere during that time but was kept well fed by thos ewho loved me.

Then one day I just decided I didnt want to die young which is where i was headed, so i went out and got on my old mtb, promptly fell off and then ended up re discovering cycling...which has done more could for me physically and mentally than any of these dam pills or the pshychiatrists.
It's also easier to come off a bike than it is the pills after so long:biggrin:

I reckon though that an aweful lot of the side effects actually mirror th eillness, to the point where it's impossible to tell what is th eillness and what is th emedication...
On ething I do like about the pills is that they make me obsessive about things...(or is that the illness)...but only one thing at a time, like a blinkered race horse...I latch into something then do nothing else but that until I exhaust it, then I move on...weird.

I am convinced that the pills are far to easily prescribed by Gps though. They should be a last resort, not the first thing they dish out.

Smeggers

BTFB - I think you've already won the 'top bloke' award on this forum in the past, but you are truly a top bloke ;)

mr Mag00

rising member
My doctor has recommended i get some counselling, due to stress at work, its not the work its the boss.i am quite nervous about going as i feel i may reveal things i dont want to and have kept bottled up and i may become the person i try not to be. does that make sense

Top Bottom