Anti depressants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfgurl

I've had depression in the past, I also have OCD. I was on pills for several years but managed to get off them a couple of years ago. I realise now what effects they had on me both good and bad. Ultimately they didn't cure the depression, but they enabled me to carry on living until I got to a point where I could start coping.
I'm now in a better state of mind and that has been improved again with cycling. I'm no longer depressed, although OCD is a real pain at times.
I got scared that it was all coming back a few months ago. I work in a school and one of the pupils died. I now feel the tremendous responsibility of looking after other peoples' kids and couple with my OCD is crippling. Imagine repeatedly counting the number of kids on a trip out. There are eight seats in the bus, there's a kid in each seat, yet I have to keep counting them.

What I need is confidence and self belief and my employer to respect me and believe in me. No Doctor can prescribe that. Only I can get it.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I've never had any problems that I can think of, but feel for people who are genuine sufferers of mental illness. Cannot stick those that jump on the bandwagon and label kids as having ADHD just to mask and make excuses for bad behaviour.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
A good case for cycling on the NHS?

'For example, the link between exercise and good
mental health is well established. NICE has concluded
that “there is [robust] evidence… to suggest that
participation in physical activity, sport and exercise
is positively associated with mood, emotion and
psychological wellbeing.”

A New Vision for Mental Health - Discussion paper (2008)

graham56

Guru
My wife is on Citalopram and has been for the last 11 years.Was first prescribed when she was undergoing chemotherapy (she has been in remission for the last 10 yrs btw) and has never been able to give it up.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I've been on a combination of cipramil & lithium for some 6 years now, following a breakdown caused by nervous exhaustion and Post Traumatic Stress.

I know that I'm not quite the depressed person I once was and more the better, I'm no longer the person I hated myself for being in the first place.

My life is so remarkably different from the one I 'lost' 8 years ago.
The time I have spent signed off work, for want of a phrase, 'socially neutered' and living on benefits has left me unequipped and unqualified for the modern, fast changing world that once employed me.

This is good in the respect that I can no longer put myself in a position that might lead to another breakdown, but that can't last forever.

I have now decided that only I can get myself out of the 'mental health' rut that, after being essentially 'abandoned' by the healthcare services, I have found myself in.

So using the most practical experience I have to hand, I am going to train to become a Cycling Instructor thus making my favorite pastime(besides Parenting)a pedal turn back to 'normality'.

I personally believe that all the symptoms that have been described in this thread comes from the basic human 'animal' trying desperately to, or feeling coersed into, happily and productively existing and participating in 'Modern Western Society'.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Suicidal thoughts. A whooshing sensation in/over the head every other day. A devastating affect on one's dangly bits(for men that is) and that's about it,but isn't that enough?!:unsure:

edit....Just checked to see if this thread really is in the 'Cafe' and not 'Personal Matters',but yes,it is!:scratch:

Kryton521

Über Member
Still take, Effexor 75mg on a daily basis.

Cycling gives me a natural lift and keeps me sane. Mostly. Not sure if I'll ever come of the med'. My life is very see-saw at the best of times and I can't really see it getting better any time soon.

Counselling/therapy. Been there done that.

Depression has haunted me most of my adult life, Starting with PTSD back in the 80's and then just collapsed in on myself. Two suicide attempts and long stay in hospitals.
Cycling should be on prescription? But getting out of the door can sometimes be an issue in itself.

I'm learning, day by day to like me a little more. Weight loss is definitely helping.

Sorry, went on a bit there. But anyone reading this and thinking they see themselves, get to the Doctor, find one that will listen, tell everyone until someone listens, it does make a difference

Top Bottom