Anti depressants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, I'm taking them at the moment. The one benefit is that I sleep a full night when I'm taking them. They take such a long time to work that you begin to think they never will. Last time I was on them they took over a year but work they did.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I have been on them for ten years now, i hate them. They hav e totally ruined everything, all brands and different levels over the years, currently just 60mg fluorexetine...the worst were effexor sl venlafaxine and paxil paroxetine.
They hav etaken years out of my memory and are in my opinion highly addicitive....but the docs wont say so 'cos they are all on a pill sales target

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I took some when I was a lot younger, was much better when i stopped taking them, but i got into narcotics instead, which at least were a lot more fun. I'd not recommend LSD as an anti-depressant, but it works for some!

At the end of the day you know it's not the best way to approach the matter, it's normally an issue of getting your head round a difficult issue. I wish you all the best with it!

gbb

Legendary Member
I was prescribed something beginning with 'p' ?? huh, same memory problem i think ;)
After about a 10 year on and off bout of mild to deepening depression, i used them (i'll try to find out what they were)...and the results were fairly spectacular.
I was lifted, happier, the gloom evaporated...but i did start to get problems with my libido after 3 months....and came off them.
You (speaking for myself) are never the person you were, but i feel acres better now.

zimzum42 said:
prozac?

Tip: don't snort it, it's mostly cellulose filler!

:rolleyes: that's the sort of thing I'd try...
I nearly ended up on these this year, but managed to sort it with some counselling, generally-ignoring-the-world and bloody fantastic friends instead. Turned out I wasn't clinically depressed after all...

So many of my friends and colleagues are taking these. Life in this country in this particular time period is certainly not easy on the head.

andharwheel

I stopped taking them years ago as I felt they made my life worse in some ways. I still take St John's Wort a natural anti depressant which I find works for me. I stilll suffer SAD as it can be so bloody dark up here in the winter.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I have suffered from depression for many years. However I have totally avoided taking anti-depressants. I am not sure if this was advisable or not given what I have gone through at various points, and I've got a lot of life to go yet before I can tell for sure. I decided that living with myself, controlling the worst through meditation, exercise and writing, and accepting that without it I would no creativity either, has been a largely successful approach. For some others I know though, anti-depressants have been life-savers.

The daily hatred and disgust at the person I see in the mirror each morning is just a part of my normality. I've learned to cope with it only because I fear the mind-paralysing effects of anti-depressants. My work is creative (only advertising, but still it requires an imagination) and I daren't mess with what little capacity I still have for the task.

Finding the small thing that get you through each day is far more important than blocking out reality.

f

feckless said:
The daily hatred and disgust at the person I see in the mirror each morning is just a part of my normality. I've learned to cope with it only because I fear the mind-paralysing effects of anti-depressants. My work is creative (only advertising, but still it requires an imagination) and I daren't mess with what little capacity I still have for the task.

Finding the small thing that get you through each day is far more important than blocking out reality.

f

Hatred and disgust are strong words to describe yourself with :evil:
Maybe you could see your doc with a view to getting counselling? You don't have to continue living like that although I understand because I've been in the same situation myself.

I propose a 'group hug'...

Mr Pig

Fnaar said:
Ditch the tabs btfb... exercise and the occasional indulgence is the way to go!

That's good advice. I went to the doctor because I was streesed out a few years ago, because the wife nagged me into it. He just slapped a prescription for anti-depressants on the desk having made no effort to understand anything about what was actually going on in my life.

I went home, read up on the pills he'd decided to give me and binned the prescription. These people are robots and have no buisness dealing with emotional issues they can't even try to understand. Buy a dog, go for a walk, anything, but the doctor? No chance.

Thanks Kirstie, you're right of course. And yes, I do have a counsellor.

For all the strong emotions, there remains something inside me that won't yet give up on the hope of feeling normal again. That alone makes me realise that I'm in a far better place than many people.

f

Smeggers

Fnaar said:
Ditch the tabs btfb... exercise and the occasional indulgence is the way to go!

Yet another "pull yourself together" argument from someone who doesn't understand what depression is.

Mental Illness needs some serious PR in this country.

Top Bottom