Any bike detectives around here? Trying to find more about a bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoatBeard

It's a Coyote 'coyote' Indiana men's mountain bike. Some research pointed me to Avocet bikes. They don't exist any more and have either changed name or merged with another company. I emailed them but they don't have any historical data sheets or brochures unfortunately. Still, I think it's got great potential especially being more ridable over the shocking state of the local roads compared to old faithful, my Subway 1 hybrid.

The bike has an all alu-frame, running a triple and an 8 speed Acera groupset. Front shocks, disc brakes. Lots of nice branded parts (I'm not sure if those are stock or have been added) flick shifters rather than the usual twisters.

It'll need some doing to make it more hybrid/roadie. Slick tyres (I'm not a knobbly/off road fan) new chain, possibly new cables, possibly new rear mech hanger, general overall lubrication/clean/fettle.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Coyote were always a budget brand although yours may have some upgraded components?
There are still Coyote branded bikes available now.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
As far as I know, the named parts were standard and not added later (unless they have been upgraded).

These are quite unheard of, considering they weren't bad for the price. a real good budget bike with a capable frame

Pics would be nice :whistle:

OP
OP
G

GoatBeard

As far as I know, the named parts were standard and not added later (unless they have been upgraded).

These are quite unheard of, considering they weren't bad for the price. a real good budget bike with a capable frame

Pics would be nice :whistle:

Capture.JPG

The Pure Animal Aggression on the rear tube is pure class. I'm sure that'll warn away all the four wheeled idiots that want to swap paint with me ;-)

Threevok

Crankset does indeed look like it's upgrades. The brakes also look like they have been changed from the standard I/O ones I thought they originally came with, but I could be wrong.

I think the elastomers in that fork have probably had it.

Chain's a bit slack :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GoatBeard

Crankset does indeed look like it's upgrades. The brakes also look like they have been changed from the standard I/O ones I thought they originally came with, but I could be wrong.

I think the elastomers in that fork have probalby had it.

Chain's a bit slack :whistle:

Got it, thanks. I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to shocks. Never had them, what do they need servicing wise? Got spot on the chain, I would've missed it :-)

Threevok

Got it, thanks. I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to shocks. Never had them, what do they need servicing wise? Got spot on the chain, I would've missed it :-)

The forks aren't serviceable. Bung a bit of grease on the seals and hope for the best. They weren't the best forks to begin with

As @Spiderweb says, hardly worth spending a lot (if anything) on.

classic33

Leg End Member

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Turns out it's got SRAM RockShox Dart One forks. So at least there's some nice, non BSO bits going on here

The Dart fork was pretty poor, I really wouldn’t spend money on this bike, if I’m honest, it looks knackered!
If your Carrera subway needs a bit of a fettle then concentrate on that, it’ll be a better bike.

OP
OP
G

GoatBeard

The Dart fork was pretty poor, I really wouldn’t spend money on this bike, if I’m honest, it looks knackered!
If your Carrera subway needs a bit of a fettle then concentrate on that, it’ll be a better bike.

I hear you, the argument to not bother is strong. But as a purely casual rider (no commuting) I enjoy doing a lot of hills and occasional off road paths. The subway is struggling specially with it's puny V brakes on very steep sections which I've fettled to death and then there's the shocking local roads which are bone rattling even on 1.75's at 50 PSI. Yes the forks are crappy but I'm not planning to do some serious off road mountaineering or competitions, I just want to not feel like a rattle can on regular lumpy gritty roads better than a rigit fork.

If I can get this project tidy for less than say £100, that's pretty damn good value for money over the price of a new entry level bike (£350) or a potentially dodgy 2nd hander.

Just my thoughts.

Top Bottom