Any Ideas on this?!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dogvole

Hi new to all this any idea on this bike and its value, I've been offered £20 for it, seems very little maybe Im wrong would appreciate any advice thank

Attachments

• IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1905.JPG
    IMG_1905.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1906.JPG
    IMG_1906.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1907.JPG
    IMG_1907.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1908.JPG
    IMG_1908.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1909.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 14

oypolloy

I would say even as a restoration project it must be worth £60 absolute minimum. You've done the photos put it on Gumtree - it's free, ask £125 or so and see what happens, you can always come down. You could also use facebook marketplace, that's free too. The frame looks massive so make sure you measure it and include in your advert along with the make of the wheels, derailleurs, frame composition (looks like Reynolds 501 tubing decal) and so on.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's worth more than twenty odd quid for sure, and my best wishes to the OP, but hang on...

... when did cyclechat become a free bike valuation service? I see a lot of this at the moment.
Didn't new members previously have to post something like ten times before they could post pics, to discourage this kind of use of regular member's time and experience to profit only the potential seller who, having made his hundred on eBay, would never return?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The frame looks massive
Known in the trade as a garden gate.

Worth a bit more than £20, but the large frame really knocks its value.

Hardly anyone, not even people who could fit the bike, wants a large frame anymore.

Probably due to the pros who ride with loads of seat post showing and a stem the size of a cucumber.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Look on eBay for a guide. It’s a Raleigh Record Sprint. Large frame (looks like 25”) so really only suitable for someone around 6’.

Last edited:
It is definitely worth more than the £20 offered.
It could do with a good clean.
I can manage to ride a 25 inch frame with the saddle right down , I am 5ft 10 1/2. I must have longer legs than body .

Sharky

Guru
Potential for an enthusiast for a restoration project, but from the eyes of a buyer, what would he have to replace?
- saddle, front derailleur and levers, brake and gear cables, new chain and block.
- are the bearings all ok, BB, headset, wheels?
- tyres and tubes?
- stem and seat posts - are they siezed?

Could be quite a cost in time and money.

If the offer is from a friend - try and squeeze a little more out of him, but a "bird in the hand etc"

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
While £20's perhaps a bit low I'd say it's not worth a lot more.

As previously mentioned the model is a Record Sprint from the mid-late '80s; a low-mid range offering in the company's "sport bike" lineup; positioning it higher than the gas-pipe entry level road bikes but below the more valued lightweight series. With all the gold bits it's styled to look more expensive than it is.

IMO in good working condition it'd be worth ballpark a ton give or take; factor in the time, cost and hassle of getting it going (new saddle, probably tyres and tubes, bar wrap; maybe cables etc) while considering the reduced market for the large frame and currently depressed vintage bike market and realistically I don't think you could expect more than maybe £30-40 absolute max.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Honest question @wafter , why is the vintage bike market depressed?
Alologies if I haven't been paying attention.
Seems from my own (admittedly green / limited) experiences as well as feedback from others on the forum that stuff in this sector is hardly flying off the shelves; and certainly doesn't seem to have seen the same growth as more mainstream areas of the industry (i.e. low-mid range new stuff and fairly modern parts).

I'm seeing a lot of cheap old stuff failing to sell on FB marketplace and ebay; with realised prices often being very much lower than sellers' expectations - although to be fair I'm new to this market so have no pre-covid frame of reference.

Faratid

It's only worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it.
Each to their own, but to me it's just a worthless piece of scrap, but then as you might have gathered, I don't do enthusiasm about old bikes, and can't see any point in it at all.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Market wise - I think we are well and truly back to pre-Covid prices, although not all sellers realise that. You might get lucky and find some in the late 40s to 50s who missed out on a bike over summer and had one of these as a kid and wants to rekindle their youth. It was also make a good student hack, but students are locked up at the moment.

If you just want rid of then £20 is low, but not massively low. The most I would pay is £25 based on the shabby condition and potential work that needs doing.

Top Bottom