Any metal detectorists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am very interested in history and have been seriously considering buy some kit. Anyone here in to wandering muddy fields detecting?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I thought about it, then I found out I can't use it in the New Forest so never bothered :sad:

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'm thinking of buying a Garrett bundle myself. Something I have wanted to get in to for a long time. Have a trailer for the bike so I can do both! 😁

Have seen some utube vids and it looks like fun, also some mudlarking stuff. Yet to try either myself.

PS. Tell a lie - a few years back my brother came round with a detector and we had a rummage round mum's back garden. My first go, found an old spoon, maybe early post war era (house being built between the wars so no surprise). Rest was bed springs, nails etc.
Jolly good fun :okay:

Last edited:

Cerdic

Yes, it was an unexpected pressie from 'Santa' a couple of years ago! Inspired by the TV series Detectorists, apparently.

Finding somewhere to use it can be a bit of a faff. You need permission from the land OWNER, which can take some work. The easiest place, unless you are mates with a farmer, is the Crown Estate. They have a website with a map. Everywhere on the map coloured purple is Crown Estate land where blanket permission has been granted for metal detecting. Most of it is beach with some other bits and bobs.

I haven't been out with it as much as I would like, (same story as the bike!) but I've found several lumps of scrap, coins, fishing weights, and a bullet! Nothing really old yet but I live in hope...

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Luckily I live about 250 yards from the beach!

Drago

Legendary Member
Cerdic is right. Without permission, no matter how well intentioned, you risk getting handcuffed and punched in the kidneys for going eauipped to steal.

However, as a responsible and upright member of our forum im sure you would never have such intentions, but I wouldn't want you inadvertantly getting in bother.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Trying to find a shop in Kent that sells metal detectors is a mission.
I think the closest retailer might be Joan Allen. I know they're based somewhere in that general direction but they are also a major national retailer of metal detectors.

Top Bottom