Any Runners On Here??

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Richard A Thackeray, 1 Sep 2012.

1. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Here for rides.

cranleigh parkrun is evil.

2. Drago

Drago Guru

Getting back into it nicely now. I've the wrong build to be fast like some of you fellers, but I'm a solid plodder. Doing 3 or 4 miles every other day, and 9 once a week.

And I've entered the Milton Keynes Dog Jog in September!

Richard A Thackeray likes this.
  3. I think I've only done one fell-race when the course has been altered, due to sheet-ice on the route
    It would have been the 'Stanbury Splash', not sure what year
    Ponden Clough was buried in ice/snow (where photographer is stood)
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1088761
    Not 2011, though!
    2011. Stanbury Splash. 3.jpg

We were sent down 'The Stairs' instead, which is known to have been on packhorse route
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1083459

That said, the 2010 Ilkley Moor Fell-Race was almost cancelled, as travelling to Ilkley was deemed to be the problem, by the organisers
    5"- 6" of snow on the Moor was fun!!!

Hi-viz hat, & yellow long-sleeves
    2010. Ilkley Moor Fell-Race. 1.JPG 2010. Ilkley Moor Fell-Race. 2.jpg

Last edited: 20 Jan 2018
    Drago likes this.
  4. Drago

Drago Guru

Youre brave Richard. With an arm full of Ti and a recently operated upon shoulder I - grudgingly - didn't run when there was snow around. One slip and I'd have been very much in the guano.

5. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

6. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

My parkrun was very wet and muddy. There was a lot of slipping and sliding about which made fast times tricky.

7. PhilDawson8270

PhilDawson8270 Veteran

I’m really not a runner, and did about 50km over th last 2 years.

However I signed up to run every day in jan for Mind charity. And another charity challenge of 100km in Jan. this is 4 Years worth of running in just 1 month.

I Just got back from my 20th run of the month and my total is now at 70km. And my weight is down by 2.5kg in Jan.

Does this make me a runner yet?

GrumpyGregry, Stephenite and Drago like this.
  8. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Here for rides.

Does you subsist on grilled skinless chicken breast and mineral water?

I'd say you are a runner at the moment but what future holds, in terms of that appellation, remains to be seen....

9. DRHysted

DRHysted Über Member

As far as I’m concerned if you go out your house and run for a while, you’re a runner.

Znook and Drago like this.
  10. flatflr

flatflr Über Member

14 cold, wet and muddy miles along the tow path for me. 2nd half marathon distance of the year:smile:

Znook likes this.
  11. Drago

Drago Guru

No run today. Rather icy, don't want to risk a fall. I'll slip in an extra run in the week so I meet my average for the period.

Znook likes this.
  12. Stephenite

Stephenite Membå

Oslo's parkrun was cancelled the 30th december, and again the following week due to long stretches of ice. :sad:

tøyen icy 1.jpg tøyen icy 2.jpg

Probably, better to be safe rather than sorry as all sorts (I really mean many foreigners) turn up for Parkrun. Recently, we've had a good deal of snow so the council have built a cross-country skiing track around the park. And as local traditions dictate that cross-country skiing trumps all other activities you don't send 40-60 people running along and across a prepped track. So there's been no Oslo parkrun since before the New Year.

Edited to add:
    Ba*d

Znook, GrumpyGregry and Drago like this.
  13. The start of the Ladies race, at the http://pecoxc.co.uk/index.html
    It was race 4, at Middleton Park

I've raced there in the past, in this series, & the course passed old Bell Pits, & the remains of colliery 'wagonways' in the woods

Hope picture can be seen?

317 finishers.............

Last edited: 22 Jan 2018
    Znook likes this.
  14. DanZac

DanZac Senior Member

Farnborough 1/2 marathon Sunday post a black tie dinner event on the Saturday night, certainly not my greatest idea ever, not helped by being bitterly cold with wet snow turning to rain as the morning progressed.
    It's a nice little event though and all things considered I'm happy with a 1:34. Bring on the lighter evenings and warmer weather, it gets easier from here on.

15. Drago

Drago Guru

Slight left ankle tweak this morning, so my scheduled 9 mile will become a 3 miler instead.

GrumpyGregry and john59 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice