Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
With all the kerfuffle of lockdown I sort of lost my MoJo. A couple of things changed that, the biggest being Mrs Tenkaykev regaining the confidence to start running again after knee replacement surgery about 12 years ago. She had a major post op infection which nearly did for her. We both have Garmin watches that have Garmin Coach available so we have entered a New Years Day 1/4 Marathon and are both following a " Get you round" 10k plan. You decide how many days you are able to train and it builds a plan around your goal. It's really useful to see what the day's recommendation is and we find it a great incentive to get out of the door. The fact that you get feedback as you progress, and the plan adapts according to how your body is responding to the plan is quite sophisticated ( the watch measures Pace, heart rate, cadence etc and factors this into the next recommended workout )

Tenkaykev

Guru
I find creating a plan tends to work for me, I set one up on Garmin connect and it syncs with my watch, which then tells me what to do. I can get quite unfocussed so having a plan helps, once I have one I tend to follow it!

Done a few halves but only one marathon so far, had a crazy notion to try and do a marathon in each of the English counties but doubt it will ever happen...
The Marathon in every county sounds like a great idea, half the fun is in the planning and logistics.:thumbsup:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Maybe write yourself a fancy curlicued 'Promisary Award Certificate' regarding that spending.
With a picture of what you'll buy, and then stick it on the fridge, or by the front door maybe to remind yourself.

Or even have graded amounts of 'reward' depending on what mileage you achieve..

Depends on what motivates you really :smile:

You are excellent at this! I wish you lived locally!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You are excellent at this! I wish you lived locally!

I do live locally :smile:

To me.

But I also struggle, with motivation to do what I know is ultimately the better plan.

We are evolutionarily programmed to be a bit lazy , and conserve our energies

Made total sense in the world we evolved in , where calories were scarce, and the getting of them would have been hard.

We've reversed that situation now, so calories are abundant, and the energy required to get them in is minimal.

So we have to trick or reward our 'lazy @rse' selves in into 'doing what's good for us'...

Its quite hard.to overcome our instincts to do less.
Without some kind of tangible rewards..

I've never found admonishing, or berating myself into exercise to be much use..

It's got to be some sort of fun..

Even if it's muddy, rainy, endorphin raising "type 2 fun'"

Having a running buddy , even just to start, to make inescapable 'dates' with, because you know they need motivation, helps to get going

Is there anyone local to you, you can do that with ??

Cathryn

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="mudsticks, post: 6574968, member: 76432"

Having a running buddy , even just to start, to make inescapable 'dates' with, because you know they need motivation, helps to get going

[/QUOTE]

I have several running buddies but they're all faster than me, which I find quite discouraging and actually was the cause of me falling out of love with running. They would be mortified to know this, as they're the lovliest girls and I adore them and their company. I just need to maybe swallow my pride a little.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
[QUOTE="mudsticks, post: 6574968, member: 76432"

I have several running buddies but they're all faster than me, which I find quite discouraging and actually was the cause of me falling out of love with running. They would be mortified to know this, as they're the lovliest girls and I adore them and their company. I just need to maybe swallow my pride a little.
[/QUOTE]

I can get that..

I like to consider myself not overly competitive, but it's very hard not to compare yourself with others.

I was lucky to start off with a very understanding person almost half my age..

So I never had that insult to my ego, when I had to send her off on an extra loop of tracks and she caught me up later.

You'd expect her to be more sprightly.

Also I did this sneaky thing of starting her talking on one of her favourite subjects in the hope she'd run out of puff, on the hills ..
It only sort of worked :whistle:

Is there anyone less fit you can introduce to the 'joys' of running ??:rolleyes:

Cathryn

Legendary Member

I can get that..

I like to consider myself not overly competitive, but it's very hard not to compare yourself with others.

So I never had that insult to my ego, when I had to send her off on an extra loop of tracks and she caught me up later.

Also I did this sneaky thing of starting her talking on one of her favourite subjects in the hope she'd run out of puff, on the hills ..

Is there anyone less fit you can introduce to the 'joys' of running ??:rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

Hahaha....I have a husband who needs to do some training too. I may do some influencing.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I can get that..

Hahaha....I have a husband who needs to do some training too. I may do some influencing.
[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that Cathryn.. :rolleyes:

Might be fine, so long as he doesn't get too fit , too quickly .

And then starts going on about doing full marathons :rolleyes:

I'm considering entering this weeks ParkRun. it'll probably be at Pontefract, which will be event ‘477’
If I do, it'll be the first time I've run (at all) since event 456 (22nd Feb 2020)

Firstly, I need to find my shoes, then a t-shirt that still fits over the fat
I used to be reasonably quick on this course, when fit, with a PB of 21:10

I was there, at the first (trial) event, when there was only 42 of us!
https://www.parkrun.org.uk/pontefract/parkrunner/141382/

Last edited:

Spartak