Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Speaking from experience, when starting running after even a brief layoff it's best to start as if you were a novice. If you go out and try to match the level of endurance/ fitness that you had before layoff then you're far more prone to injury, and another layoff. You will quickly regain your fitness by starting slowly.
I know this from bitter experience, but do I learn? Not often enough šŸ¤”

Yeap I usually start a month before at 12 then, 16, finally 20 miles.
I should perhaps start 3 months before and build up more gradually giving more time for muscle adaptation..

Tenkaykev

Guru
Another two mile this morning, baby steps, but a full minute faster than yesterday šŸ˜Š

Hopefully try and build up the mileage tomorrow, however meeting a few mates for a pub session tonight so tomorrow's performance may be directly linked to tonight's beer consumption!!

I've done some of my best ( and worst ) runs with a bit of a hangover. I routinely had a couple of pints of Guinness the night before a Marathon. I found it helped me to relax and have a decent nights sleep. Poole is twinned with Cherbourg and there used to be both a Poole and a Cherbourg Marathon. The twinning committee arranged an annual exchange where athletes from Poole running club who were doing the Cherbourg Marathon could travel free on the Barfleur ferry and were put up by members of the Cherbourg running club. This was reciprocated each year.
I went over one year with a few other local runners, one of them, John, was a sub 2:20 for the Marathon. The Mayor of Cherbourg had arranged a welcoming get together in a local bar which had Guinness on draught šŸ˜Ž. Around this time there were a lot of Eastern European athletes from the previous Soviet block countries " doing the tour " of the various European Marathons as they could earn good prize money. We sat in the upstairs room of the bar, and after the speeches were made, tucked into a few pints of Guinness. The beer was free, and from time to time a waiter would appear to take drinks orders and ferry them up from the bar. John, as well as being an excellent runner, was also very fond of his Guinness. One of the other runners in the room was a Russian athlete, on the prize money tour, and in with an excellent chance of winning the race. He sat their with his soft drink and looked askance as John downed several pints of Guinness ( I stuck to two, despite the temptation of free beer šŸ˜®)
The next day started warm, and got hotter, yet despite this John ran really well, it was neck and neck for a while, but John went on to win the Marathon by a significant margin.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Wednesday evening wobble safely negotiated. God Iā€™d miss the sea if I lived inlandā€¦..

Attachments

• 9CBE088D-8F82-4B90-BCB2-7AC4751BB5E8.jpeg
    9CBE088D-8F82-4B90-BCB2-7AC4751BB5E8.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1

Jameshow

Veteran
Ran with my old club tonight only to clip the curb and come clattering down.
Don't know what I have done...
Hip is sore on the inside near groin if I move it any direction. Cannot weight bare unless totally vertical. Taken two ibuprofen.
GP wife doesn't think anything wrong..

Going to be a painful night I expect.

Chislenko

Veteran
A real park run disappointment this morning. Wasn't feeling good on way there, got to one mile and absolutely nothing there. Ended up walking back to the caršŸ˜Ÿ

On the bright side there is always next week to look forward to.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
First parkrun since last November, first run since I did a five-mile jog with my bro when I stayed with him in early December. Very slippery on the grass slopes at Bramshall Road Park (Uttoxeter), but managed a 19:12, which is a course PB šŸ˜. My Zwifting fitness is at an all-time high and itā€™s interesting to see how transferable the cardiovascular isā€¦ but my legs are very wobbly now!

DRHysted

Guru
Todayā€™s race didnā€™t go to plan. Overtook my ā€œtough mudder, ultra marathon runningā€ work colleague. Only for one slip too many which tweaked something in my left thigh, which resulted in walking, you can see on the map where I slowed šŸ˜ž

Attachments

• 11D5A49C-B712-4397-81E2-955FF952CD81.png
    11D5A49C-B712-4397-81E2-955FF952CD81.png
    231.1 KB · Views: 1

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Some Sunday moving completed. Bit dank out. But avoided any heavy wet stuff and still really enjoyed being out in the fresh airā€¦.

Attachments

• FDAA050A-5549-46C1-9973-2A2660E3A60C.jpeg
    FDAA050A-5549-46C1-9973-2A2660E3A60C.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 2
  • B9009746-4525-4577-AA15-8B1C1EA79098.jpeg
    B9009746-4525-4577-AA15-8B1C1EA79098.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 2
  • CE9FA108-09F3-4596-B907-C1F46DE885CA.jpeg
    CE9FA108-09F3-4596-B907-C1F46DE885CA.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 805D9C3D-E86A-485B-A080-CE921D4FBE39.jpeg
    805D9C3D-E86A-485B-A080-CE921D4FBE39.jpeg