Any Runners On Here??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I've been using the dwMap app on my Forerunner 230 to map and follow cycling and running routes which are virtually on my doorstep but which 'd not explored before.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
End of August report:

By the end of this month I will have done a total of 186.8km (more than 50km more than last month) - I only have a couple of short ones to go - which breaks down to:
5 tempo runs (35.4km);
5 marathon-pace runs (60.5km); and
5 long runs (90.9km).

My speed has also increased. At the end of July, my paces were 4:55 tempo / 5:25 marathon-pace / 6:20 long; now I'm on 4:35 / 5:05 / 5:55

Just to make it a little more complicated, one of the long runs and one of the marathon-pace runs, were boggy fell runs in the Lake District, shorter than normal but with significant vertical ascent (650 metres and 250 metres respectively) - they aren't included in my speed calculations. But in fact, quite a few of the runs this month had more ascent than I've been used to in flat Ontario, giving me a total of 3770 metres in total. This has certainly improved my strength and overall conditioning.

I had one injury scare - on a 16km marathon-pace run along the North-east coast, I felt a sharp ping in my left calf and had to jog back at recovery pace. I gave it a few days and did a test run before resuming, and everything was (and is) fine.

My first half-marathon for a few years is on Sunday, in Denmark. I'm aiming at 5:00min/km, for just over 1:45, especially because it's on forest trails and is a little hilly. Anyway, because this is part of my training rather than an end in itself, I won't be upset if I'm slower, but obviously I'll be delighted if I'm faster.

The next month following the race is going to be a weird one. I've got to increase my mileage (to around 225km), but I've got just two weeks in Denmark before it's a succession of ferries and trains between Copenhagen and Tokyo (a Trans-Siberian+). I'm going to have to get my runs in on the days we are staying somewhere. It does just about work out: if we've got two nights (or more) somwhere, I do my tempo (10km) and marathon-pace runs (15km) on successive days, if we've got just one, I do a long run (25-30km). I'll have to get up early in any case...

BigMeatball

Did my first run in years yesterday night.

Ran 3.2km in just above 21:30

It felt alright, definitely not as knackered as I thought I'd be. I made an effort to warm up properly before taking off and most importantly did 5 minutes of stretching afterwards.

Looking forward to improving my level of fitness

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Ran a very tough off-road half-marathon today (in Denmark). Constant up-and down, and I got slower and slower after about 13km due to my (bad) decision to wear some overthick compression socks at the last minute - which meant I ended up with very painful bruised insteps. I was aiming at 1:45:18 (5:00 min/km) but I hadn't really taken enough account of the terrain. In reality, 1:49:17, 5:10 pace, 45th overall (out of 181 who finished - and a few didn't). Not bad considering, but it could have been much better if only I had just worn my normal socks.

BigMeatball

Did my first run in years yesterday night.

Ran 3.2km in just above 21:30

It felt alright, definitely not as knackered as I thought I'd be. I made an effort to warm up properly before taking off and most importantly did 5 minutes of stretching afterwards.

Looking forward to improving my level of fitness

Decided to stick to a stable routine, start small and be consistent rather than do too much too soon and then get injured/too sore.

So I'm sticking to 1 run per week, same day of the week, same time of the day, same route. No changes whatsoever, for now.

The second run felt even better than the first one; I managed to shave 45 seconds to my 3.2km and I had to stop only once and just because I had to cross the road and there were cars coming.

I feel great, not sore at all. Things are shaping up nicely. Consistency and hard work pay off :smile:

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
No pain.... no gain !

stephec

Legendary Member
For a couple of years the only exercise that I did was lifting weights, then I started running, but there was no way I could give 100% to both of them, squats had to drop back but I could still keep up the deadlifts.

BigMeatball

For a couple of years the only exercise that I did was lifting weights, then I started running, but there was no way I could give 100% to both of them, squats had to drop back but I could still keep up the deadlifts.

Fingers crossed for that. I worked pretty hard to break 500lbs on deadlift.

Anyway yes, I know it's impossible to give 100% to both, especially with other life commitments getting in the way of training. I just started juggling with 4 activities (powerlifting and triathlon) so I guess I just have to experiment and learn from mistakes until I get to the point where I can get decent progress in all of them. It's going to be a busy year :rolleyes:

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
It certainly is !
Powerlifting and Triathlon , its an unusual mix!
I have done a few sprint triathlons now but really need to sort my swimming out to progress...... not enough time though I am afraid

stephec

Legendary Member
:ohmy:How much food do you eat, and where do you get the time?

Fingers crossed for that. I worked pretty hard to break 500lbs on deadlift.

Anyway yes, I know it's impossible to give 100% to both, especially with other life commitments getting in the way of training. I just started juggling with 4 activities (powerlifting and triathlon) so I guess I just have to experiment and learn from mistakes until I get to the point where I can get decent progress in all of them. It's going to be a busy year :rolleyes:

Top Bottom