Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Colin. Whilst I'm not (yet) an expert, the success rate of treatment is very high (~95%+) though the side effects are significant & likely. It's the side effects I'm more concerned about than anything.

Yorksman

With regard to getting on the trainer, I wouldn't just yet but if you do, go slowly. You are probably better off just going for a walk for the time being. You need to recognise things are different now..... but they may, in time change back for the better.

Thought oyu might like to know I took your advice, started building up with walking and then moved onto the turbo trainer set at 60% power. I have heart rate alarm set at 120 bpm. I can site there a couple of times per day and pretend I am somewhere else.

I discovered some very good videos from the Netherlands which work with the Tacx software. As they are mostly very flat terrains, you can get some speed up without overdoing it. With the alpine routes in the regular Tacx film library, you end up going so slowly uphill that it gets very boring. I feel great at the moment but they tell me that's the drugs! I'm off to see about AF Ablation next week. I don't think I'll be able to sit on the saddle for a bit after that procedure.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
I'm off to see about AF Ablation next week. I don't think I'll be able to sit on the saddle for a bit after that procedure.

Glad you are doing ok.

As for the ablation, I had an attempted one, catheter in the groin, probe fed through up into my heart but they couldn't induce the arrhythmia unfortunately. But mine was for ventricular tachycardia which is very difficult to treat. After the op, I was up and about within hours and back on the bike within a week, it is just a small puncture wound.

As for AF ablation, this is a far more successful procedure and I work with a chap who's life was changed by it. He suffered quite badly with AF and is now completely cured of it by a single ablation session.

Top tip if you are of a nervous disposition, tell them and ask for some 'more' sleepy juice. I did and cannot remember a thing about it. Some people though lay on the table chatting with the medical team with catheter in whilst they are burning bits of their heart tissue away and report back that it was no bother. I didn't want to try that out so asked to be made oblivious to it all.

Yorksman

Top tip if you are of a nervous disposition, tell them and ask for some 'more' sleepy juice.

You mean this stuff? :-)

b2_24.jpg

Yorksman

On a more serious note though, giving up booze had a huge positive effect on my erroneous heart activity. Stopping it made a huge difference.

Ironically, with no licence, I can't drive to the pub and, when I get my licence back, I won't be able to drink when I drive to the pub.

I too avoid heart stimulants like alcohol and strong freshly ground coffee. Mrs Yorks kindly got me a Nutribullet so I can make spinach smoothies to go with my salmon and broccoli.

I'm so healthy I cry myself to sleep every night thinking of those nights of real ale followed by an asian take away .

Fisheh

Wow what a thread, hat off to you all and hope you all have a good new year.
I have been on borrowed time from the age of 12 (1974) when I had peritonitis (ruptured appendix ) my GP at the time diagnosed constipation. Eventually I passed out at home and ended up in hospital quite close to death with blood poisoning, Took months even at that age to recover and the drain I had inside my body was extracted an inch a day for what seemed like forever.
Full recovery made but it changed my view on life even at that age.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
A belated happy new year to fellow survivors!

How is everyone?

Me; things (touch wood) have remained stable and the heart medication continues to do its job keeping a lid on any dangerous arrhythmias developing. I got my driving licence back after the medical ban in April 2015 although I'd rather not drive at all if I could get away with it, but have to get to work which is too far (for me) to cycle. 2015 was also the first year for quite a few where I didn't have a stay in hospital.

As for cycling, it has really been hugely beneficial to me over the last year or so. I set myself a target of cycling 2,000 miles in 2015 which I exceeded by about 250 miles. I know that that distance is nothing to some but for it was a massive achievement. Mostly plodding along slowly but surely with no option of speed due to the medication limiting my cardiac output. Still, it beats sitting indoors worrying about it.

I had, for me a reasonably good start to 2016 as the mileage ticker below shows but the rain has brought that to an abrupt halt for now. I've also reduced my annual target to a lowly 1,200 miles this year but have said i'll have a go at doing the half metric century an month challenge this year.

I hope you are all well and out there cycling sticking two fingers up to illness !

gbb

Legendary Member
Although I have made a good recovery from my problems, the lingering legacy is that I now take an awfully long time to warm up. I can get very out of breath riding slowly up even a 4-5% slope early in a ride, whereas later I can tackle much steeper climbs riding more quickly, without major difficulty. I'm not sure what causes that but it is disconcerting.
Funny you say that. I know we have different conditions but one thing struck me....I struggle really badly early in a ride. Its kinda confirmed by the fact if I simply walk upstairs, im gasping a bit for a few minutes. If I excercise a bit longer I seem to pass through it , but seem to struggle with that initial call for oxygen.
I had oxygen levels checked last week (just a simple test while seated at the docs)..and they showed no deficiency while resting.
Its like theres a lag in response to demand.

Yorksman

@Yorksman

Have you had the ablation yet ?

Not yet. I'm off in tomorrow so they can wire me up to their infernal devices and see what's up. I bet my heart really behaves itself and is as good as gold until I walk out of the hospital. I'm still chasing up echogram results from November. They all seem to take their time writing their reports.

Yorksman

Have you had the ablation yet ?

Just got back from cardiologist. They gave me a 12 lead ECG and I'm not in AF anymore but am in AFib, my original problem. So, it's away with the digoxin and back on the amiodorone and then cardioversion. Looking at possibly adding a third lead to my ICD.

Oh Joy!

adamangler

Veteran
i have pulmonay valve stenosis which is basically a dodgy valve on the pulmonary side of the heart going to the lungs.

its never really bothered me and doesnt need surgery unless it gets worse which it may or may not ever do..but i noticed when i pushed really hard on the bike i could rarely get really light headed, i now know its the dodgy valve not allowing my blood to get enough oxygen as a normal person would. so i guess having a high v02 max will never be on the cards for me. it does make me nervous to really push it sometimes but i suppose weve all gotta go one way or another.

I found out one day that I had a codeine allergy.
Had a migraine, tried Migralieve for first time.
Within half an hour I had palpitations and a heart rate that wouldn't go below 250 and went as high as 300. Cue blue lights and sirens, large syringes and a nice lady repeatedly jamming her finger into my carotid artery. I was given the all clear after a week of vague meals and tests.

Not up there with many tales on here, but scared the crap out of me for a long time.

Top Bottom