Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
October 25th I had a heart attack followed by an angiogram, angioplasty and two stents being fitted. Pretty routine stuff and sounds more dramatic than it is. I posted about this a few months ago.

I know I've been very fortunate and this post is really for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation. Within hours of the diagnosis I determined I was not going back to hospital, would make a 100% recovery and follow all the advice from medical and rehab professionals.

Two weeks ago I felt ready to get back on the bike. I did 30 miles with my legs complaining at 20.

Yesterday, five months to the day, I was back out with the club for a 50 miler which I rode without feeling any discomfort - heart or cycling related!! Most of the ride was completed with an HR of 110-115 going to 135 on the climbs - well within the limits I have been set for the next few months.

Today I'm feeling very pleased and relieved I made it back to this point.

People ask me how I feel about the attack? Mainly I'm very fortunate, a problem existed which was found and fixed before it could kill me.

I was completely unaware of the indicators of a heart attack. The cardiac rehab nurses tell me this is a real problem as there is relatively little publicity on this. I now realise I've probably had the warning signs for 10 or more years but dismissed them as every day aches and pains.

There were a surprisingly high number of women at most of my rehab classes dispelling my view of heart attack bring a primarily male issue. Apparently the warning signs are harder to spot in women than men.

My next target is 75 by end June and then the Manchester 100 in September.
Well done Paul, and good luck with the Manchester 100!

What were the warning signs that you had, but ignored?

I got the all-clear after my DVT/PEs but I do still get sensations in my chest from time to time that unnerve me. It isn't what happens when I am exerting myself, more odd things happening when I am relaxing. I became hypersensitive to health issue for a year or two after my illness so I have had to try hard to calm myself down, but I don't want to risk missing any warning signs of sinister developments!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I fully understand the reaction to any slight twinge which could be connected to the problem any individual has had. I get twinges but it has been emphasised to me time and again this is to be expected and not to worry. My rehab physio and nurses stressed so long as these twinges didn't occur during or after exercise it was OK.

During my heart attack I had no chest pain. I only went to A&E some hours later as a precaution - male, 61. Same principle as if I had a stinging sensation when peeing. My experience was a strong dull ache, on my left side directly below the left armpit, not in it, soreness across the shoulders and complete loss of energy. Once I had a taste of bile in my mouth. I felt awful.

All of the above are heart attack symptoms. In my riding I have experienced hitting the wall a few times; this is exactly how I felt, only far worse, during the attack. That is to describe it not suggest every time someone hits the wall it's an heart issue.

In the months following my attack the two sensations I've experienced are slight twinges in the chest area immediately above my nipple and a warm sensation that feels as though it is directly behind my left breast. For perhaps 10 years + I've felt thes twinges and occasional aches down my side. Not pain just mild very short discomfort. These feelings coupled with the fact I have an unusually highly developed sub artery from my RCA immediately above the point of blockage lead me in no doubt it was building up for years (with a blockage that's obvious) and I ignored those little signs putting them down to everyday life.

My heart attack was due to high cholesterol and being an ex smoker. 80% of high cholesterol, in people who are high, is a genetic disposition and 20% diet.

In 2009 my cholesterol was 6.09, at time of the attack it was 6.17, a month ago it was 3.29. I'm told because I'm fit and exercise regularly the 2009 level would not have caused undue concern.

In recent months three doctors and several nurses have described me as very, very fit which contributed to my survival and full, quick recovery. Comparing myself with others in the rehab classes the difference was huge.

Two remarks on that; I find it hard to imagine the low fitness levels of others and if I, as a bog standard club rider, am very fit the guys I look up to must be close to superhuman.

My advice to all would be do not ignore general chest discomfort, look at every aspect of diet and cut out all the crap and if you are unfortunate enough to have a heart attack stay positive and follow all medical advice.

I have been told my absolute determination to recover my health and cycling ability is real contributor to my recovery. I had already planned to retire and lots of touring was part of my plans. No way was I going to miss that!!!

ColinJ

I fully understand the reaction to any slight twinge which could be connected to the problem any individual has had. I get twinges but it has been emphasised to me time and again this is to be expected and not to worry. My rehab physio and nurses stressed so long as these twinges didn't occur during or after exercise it was OK.

During my heart attack I had no chest pain. I only went to A&E some hours later as a precaution - male, 61. Same principle as if I had a stinging sensation when peeing. My experience was a strong dull ache, on my left side directly below the left armpit, not in it, soreness across the shoulders and complete loss of energy. Once I had a taste of bile in my mouth. I felt awful.

All of the above are heart attack symptoms. In my riding I have experienced hitting the wall a few times; this is exactly how I felt, only far worse, during the attack. That is to describe it not suggest every time someone hits the wall it's an heart issue.

In the months following my attack the two sensations I've experienced are slight twinges in the chest area immediately above my nipple and a warm sensation that feels as though it is directly behind my left breast. For perhaps 10 years + I've felt thes twinges and occasional aches down my side. Not pain just mild very short discomfort. These feelings coupled with the fact I have an unusually highly developed sub artery from my RCA immediately above the point of blockage lead me in no doubt it was building up for years (with a blockage that's obvious) and I ignored those little signs putting them down to everyday life.

My heart attack was due to high cholesterol and being an ex smoker. 80% of high cholesterol, in people who are high, is a genetic disposition and 20% diet.

In 2009 my cholesterol was 6.09, at time of the attack it was 6.17, a month ago it was 3.29. I'm told because I'm fit and exercise regularly the 2009 level would not have caused undue concern.

In recent months three doctors and several nurses have described me as very, very fit which contributed to my survival and full, quick recovery. Comparing myself with others in the rehab classes the difference was huge.

Two remarks on that; I find it hard to imagine the low fitness levels of others and if I, as a bog standard club rider, am very fit the guys I look up to must be close to superhuman.

My advice to all would be do not ignore general chest discomfort, look at every aspect of diet and cut out all the crap and if you are unfortunate enough to have a heart attack stay positive and follow all medical advice.

I have been told my absolute determination to recover my health and cycling ability is real contributor to my recovery. I had already planned to retire and lots of touring was part of my plans. No way was I going to miss that!!!
I have decided to ignore minor odd things going on in my chest because I have had CT scans, blood tests, ultrasound scans and so on and got the all-clear. I will try to pick up on anything sinister early though, not leave it late the way that I did with the clots.

I was told that I only survived because I was pretty fit and strong. Knowing how bad the symptoms were, and how long they went on for, I can believe that.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
To add a bit of balance to ignoring the twinges...

Only do so to a point. If you ever feel weak or dizzy, get it checked out as it could be an arrhythmia which can lead to cardiac arrest.

A distinction needs to be made between heart attack and cardiac arrest, they are different. A heart attack is due to the blood supply to the heart muscle being reduced and is extremely painful so I believe. I've not had one. A cardiac arrest is due to a disruption in the electrical signals withing the heart that make the heart beat. Put simply; Heart attack = plumbing, Cardiac Arrest = Electrics.

A cardiac arrest can happen out of the blue without warning and will quite often lead to death if that person is not defibrillated. They are usually completely painless with the person simply feeling dizzy and loosing consciousness. Personally, I have extra electical pathways, scarring, within my heart caused by severe viral infection that can cause arrhythmia.

A heart attack can cause and leave scarring which can leave the person susceptible to arrhythmia.

I really don't want or mean to scaremonger, but if you have any doubts or concerns, get it checked out.

Yorksman

I'll underline the above. I felt OK with my heart beating at 163 but didn't know it wasn't pumping much blood at all. I felt OK. It was only because I was being cautious that I was checking my heart rate.

Pulse and blood pressure monitoring devices are worth investing in. Just get one that is recommended by the British Heart Association.

And once you get to my age, just keep within reasonably safe limits.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Having had the heart attack I'm with Colin on ignoring the little twinges though I confess I am more than aware of them. I think that's natural.

Last Friday I did 25 minutes on a treadmill, constantly monitored with an ECG and BP every five minutes. No problems.

Today I have a stiff left shoulder and have to keep telling myself not to be daft!!

As Yorksman says self-monitoring is worthwhile. I use an HRM during exercise just so I know where I am. Mostly my HR is low when cycling on flat and gently undulating at 110-115. I've yet to try serious hills.

I would though advise anyone, especially men late 50s etc. as we are rubbish at this, not to ignore the unexpected or unusual and seek advice.

shortone

Just to add another story.

First cardiac arrest aged 29 sat in a car minding my own as a passenger. Was a blip and hardly noticeable, a kind of wow what was that moment. Thought nothing of it and several days later I hit the deck in index shop as I had another event but this time my heart stopped for slightly longer, causing me to black out.

Doctors and tests started to find out what is was and my first diagnosis was for epilepsy by my local GP. Shortly after this I had another event stood in the middle of Nuneaton town centre. The pause lasted even longer, notice the theme here? This is when I went to see a cardiologist who put me on an independently funded internal heart monitor called a revel device. This is like an internal ECG but I have a remote control to take data snap shots when I had an incident.

Shortly after having this device fitted I was sat at work and passed out into my lunch. Took the snap shot and went straight off to the hospital who took one look at the readings and wouldn't let me go home until I had a pacemaker fitted. My heart had stopped to over 30 seconds before it restarted itself.

The electrical pulses that make the heart beat would get weaker and weaker until they were not strong enough to make my heart beat. Then kind of recharge itself and restart my heart. I was told that had it been left much longer and the heart wouldn't have been able to restart itself.

I had my second pacemaker fitted last year, new one is all singing and dancing and MRI safe.

I’m now 40 and the in the best shape of my life bar the pacemaker. I can happily push myself to over 200 BPM with a resting rate of 40 though this is controlled by the pacemaker. Last year I rode London Surrey 100 at an average of 20mph. my half marathon run time is 1hr 45min. so I’m not doing to badly for damaged goods.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Turned away from heart rehabilitatuon due to BP, although I tried to explain that the problem occurs when stressed or visiting hospitals, but asked to go to docs and get more tablets. Doc suggested keeping a log for the week with three daily readings. They turned out to be averaging at 133/80 rather than the 200 at the rehab centre. So I would keep a log for a week just to see whats going on, as someone mentioned earlier the 'white coat syndrome' can really throw readings out.
I bought an Omron M7 blood pressure gadget four years ago at about the time of my operation. It stores all the readings that have been taken previously. It's useful ammunition to have if you, like everybody else, suffers from White Coat Hypertension. I don't worry about what the practice nurse writes down on her form anymore.
Here's a link, but you can find them for about £55 if you search about.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-Intellisense-M7-Pressure-Monitor/product-reviews/B000F7NXCK

Last edited:

ColinJ

To add a bit of balance to ignoring the twinges...

Only do so to a point. If you ever feel weak or dizzy, get it checked out as it could be an arrhythmia which can lead to cardiac arrest.

I really don't want or mean to scaremonger, but if you have any doubts or concerns, get it checked out.
That is generally good advice, but when you are already ill, have already been diagnosed, and are already being treated then it becomes more complicated.

I spent over 6 months thinking several times a day about phoning for an ambulance. I felt really ill and very scared but what could I do? I would have had to have lived in the hospital, permanently wired up to monitors. The NHS couldn't have done that for me, and I couldn't pay to do it privately, and nor did I want to.

I was very short of breath, I had stabbing pains in my chest, frequent arrhythmia, and felt weak the whole time. I couldn't even open a bag of crisps without using a pair of scissors.

In the end, I decided that I would only go back to A & E if I blacked out again, was in long-lasting agonising pain, or was too terrified to be able to sleep. It never quite got that bad so I only went to the hospital when the consultant called me in, or when I had to have blood tests.

That's why I spent so much time on CycleChat discussing my health problems in 2012/13. It irritated some people, but it helped to stop my fears getting the better of me.

Definitely seek help if you have any of the symptoms described above and you don't know what is causing them!

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
That is the problem, we are all unique in what is wrong with us that good advice for one is bad advice for another.

However, if anyone is in any doubt, the best advice is to seek medical help immediately. There are very few second chances when it comes to Sudden Cardiac Arrest. There are various figures banded about of the survival rate ranging from 5% to 10% and unlike a heart attack, once one looses consciousness, that is it.

What I could have been clearer on is the fact that heart attack survivors are more susceptible to cardiac arrest due to muscle loss and scarring of the heart muscle providing auxiliary electrical pathways in which arrhythmia can develop.

Definitely seek help if you have any of the symptoms described above and you don't know what is causing them!

That is extremely good advice.

Yorksman

My DCM and poor LV function means I have to take my time over things. I can cycle, but it's best not to push it. You never know .....

I did push it once and ended up in VT, a dangerous fast heart rhythm but was defibrillated out of that and subsequently had an ICD fitted, in case it happened again. It had however a positive effect on my Atrial Fibrillation and the way I feel. Although the ICD's primary purpose is to shock your heart out of dangerous rhythms, it also speeds up slow rhythms. With atrial arrhythmias, your heart beat fluctuates and can be quite slow at the bottom end of the scale and beats can be missed. Not only can this make you feel terrible but you end up with swelling and fluid in the lungs. The ICD's pacing function, as opposed to its defibrillation function, speeds it back up to a more normal rate so you have less time with a slow beat. The oedema disappears, the lungs clear, sleep is much better and you generally end of feeling that you have much more energy. I have to remind myself that I still have heart failure and better not push it, but quality of life is pretty good.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I bought an Omron M7 blood pressure gadget four years ago at about the time of my operation. It stores all the readings that have been taken previously. It's useful ammunition to have if you, like everybody else, suffers from White Coat Hypertension. I don't worry about what the practice nurse writes down on her form anymore.
Here's a link, but you can find them for about £55 if you search about.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-Intellisense-M7-Pressure-Monitor/product-reviews/B000F7NXCK

Be careful how you use it. I got one on the recommendation of my neurologist and cardiologist and had it tested against a professionally calibrated heart rate monitor. It over-read by about 20%.

Yorksman

@Yorksman

Have you had the ablation yet ?

I think I mentioned that the ablation was called off and they cardioverted me yesterday. I am back in sinus rhythm for the time being. Lets hope it stays that way.

They used my ICD to cardiovert me. Only required 25 joules as opposed to the 200 joules when they used pads.

Mike_P

Guru
Their was a report on 5Live this week about how many people do not realise they had a heart attack, thinking they have pulled a muscle or have acute indigestion.

ColinJ

Their was a report on 5Live this week about how many people do not realise they had a heart attack, thinking they have pulled a muscle or have acute indigestion.
I'm sure that's true.

I suspect that many people (including me) have had problems with blood clots without even realising what the problem is. After my first DVT/PE I looked back through old diaries and found references to mysterious illnesses which I described as 'snotless cold'. 'another snotless cold' and even 'YET ANOTHER snotless cold'! I was short of breath, felt very weak and wobbly, my temperature and heart rate were elevated but I wasn't getting a congested chest or nose. They were the initial symptoms of my confirmed DVT/PEs.

Top Bottom