Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yorksman

Their was a report on 5Live this week about how many people do not realise they had a heart attack, thinking they have pulled a muscle or have acute indigestion.

By the same token, lots of people go to A&E with acute indigestion thinking they've had a heart attack. My wife, who works in the path labs where they do the tests says that Boxing Day is the worst day of the year for this, the result of over indulgence on Christmas Day. She describes it as an endless series of TNI and CK tests, nearly always negative.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
There is however a recognised sydrome called "Holiday Heart"...

I guess your Wife is looking and testing for the Troponin enzymes which are the tell-tales for a heart attack.

I think I mentioned that the ablation was called off and they cardioverted me yesterday. I am back in sinus rhythm for the time being. Lets hope it stays that way.

They used my ICD to cardiovert me. Only required 25 joules as opposed to the 200 joules when they used pads.

I'm glad you are ok.

D

Deleted member 1258

Their was a report on 5Live this week about how many people do not realise they had a heart attack, thinking they have pulled a muscle or have acute indigestion.

When I was having my close encounter with Angina I found that the pain was usually in the right shoulder and down the right arm into the hand, but sometimes the pain was very like severe indigestion. Even now eight years later, despite a chest full of stents and no pain just the odd twinge now and again, indigestion worries me.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
When I was having my close encounter with Angina I found that the pain was usually in the right shoulder and down the right arm into the hand, but sometimes the pain was very like severe indigestion. Even now eight years later, despite a chest full of stents and no pain just the odd twinge now and again, indigestion worries me.
My angina when mild never showed in my arms or chest but across my upper back, it was only when I had the major episode (the whole filing cabinet on the chest thing) that I ever felt anything in my chest. LAD stent 11 years ago seems to have sorted it thus far.

D

Deleted member 1258

My angina when mild never showed in my arms or chest but across my upper back, it was only when I had the major episode (the whole filing cabinet on the chest thing) that I ever felt anything in my chest. LAD stent 11 years ago seems to have sorted it thus far.

The first I knew something was very wrong was when I tried sprinting away from the Links Rd traffic lights near me and ended up stopped at the side of the road waiting for the chest pain to subside so I could carry on, a few weeks later we were shopping in Jubilee Crescent and I ran for the bus, no car in those days, and ended up spending the trip home with my head between my knees waiting for the chest pain to subside. Going down Beak Avenue by me theres a hill where the road climbs past the Craftsman Garage on the right and the Craftsman Pub on the left, I got to the stage where I couldn't even walk up there without an Angina attack. The thing that annoys me is that I had had chest pains a few years earlier and had them checked out and the doctor never found anything.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Ta. I am optimistic because when I got home, a new driving licence was waiting for me! I had to give it up when I had the ICD implanted. I took it as a sign that things were returning to normal :-)

I know how it is with that having had two lots of six months off from driving. Despite having driven what must be to the moon and back over the last 28 years I didn't miss it.

Yorksman

A month after my cardioversion I am still in regular sinus rhythm and keeping my fingers crossed that it continues. Meanwhile I managed 4 days cycling in Germany, taking it easy of course and glad to see that I was not the only one having the odd rest.

grünendeich.jpg

Woodn88s

Regular
I've had 3 major artery strokes the last one was in May 13th 2013. during that hospital stay they figured out I had a hole in my heart which was allowing blood clots to pass through the hole and go straight to my brain without being filtered out by my lungs. They closed the hole, I spent a yr recovering again and started cycling to rebuild my core. I had to retire from work early.... I now ride approx 13 miles a day 3 days on , 1 day off, 3 days on 1 day off... repeat...... health is much better now but I still eat to much. All is good.
Gregg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've had 3 major artery strokes the last one was in May 13th 2013. during that hospital stay they figured out I had a hole in my heart which was allowing blood clots to pass through the hole and go straight to my brain without being filtered out by my lungs. They closed the hole, I spent a yr recovering again and started cycling to rebuild my core. I had to retire from work early.... I now ride approx 13 miles a day 3 days on , 1 day off, 3 days on 1 day off... repeat...... health is much better now but I still eat to much. All is good.
Gregg
Yikes - sounds like you were lucky to survive that! How come they didn't find the hole after the first stroke?

Anyway, keep up the cycling and have fun!

Yorksman

I now ride approx 13 miles a day 3 days on , 1 day off, 3 days on 1 day off... repeat...... health is much better now but I still eat to much. All is good.
Gregg

That's a heart warming story, no pun intended, you should eat more fish. Salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring are all your heart's friends and they don't pile on the pounds. Well, if you avoid the chips.

fischbroetchen152_v-contentgross.jpg

Woodn88s

Regular
Yikes - sounds like you were lucky to survive that! How come they didn't find the hole after the first stroke?

Anyway, keep up the cycling and have fun!
ColinJ, that's a great question.....I'm in the states, I've been self employed my entire life. I had no health insurance, just couldn't afford it. the first 2 strokes were in 2005 and 2010......when the hospital finds out you have no insurance they rush you out the door and pass you you through a series of interns till you're healthy enough to go home. In 2013 I had gotten married, my wife worked for a major university and I WAS INCLUDED in her health plan so when I had the 3rd stroke I was assigned to a wonderful young neuro doc. after 5 days in hospital he told me they were going to do 1 more test because there was no reason health wise why I should be having strokes, on the last day of my stay they put a camera down my throat and took a pic of the back of my heart.......he instantly found the hole....the rest is history.
I'm one incredibly lucky dude
Gregg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Gregg.

After I read your post in this thread, I spotted your other one introducing yourself as being from the USA and I then realised immediately what the score was! We don't have to worry about medical bills here. We have to pay 'National Insurance contributions' which pay for our health service but those contributions are based on income. Really, they are just another form of income tax with the money being allocated to health and welfare. If you don't earn above a certain threshold you don't pay anything, and beyond that contributions are graduated but all patients get equal treatment

Once we need treatment we don't need to pay extra for scans etc. (There are exceptions which I have never understood - we have to pay a small prescription charge for drugs, but that is not related to the cost of the drugs and prescriptions are free once we get to 60. We also have to pay part of the cost of dental work or for glasses.)

I was very aware when I spent my 9 days in hospital that it would have cost A LOT if I had been in another country without private health insurance. I literally didn't pay a penny. They even sent me home in a hospital bus at the end of my stay. A nurse did free home visits for my regular blood tests until I was well enough to go to the local clinic to have them. They let me decide when that was - they didn't put any pressure on me. I knew that they were busy so I didn't abuse the privilege once I could make my own way to the clinic.

Woodn88s

Regular
Hi Gregg.

After I read your post in this thread, I spotted your other one introducing yourself as being from the USA and I then realised immediately what the score was! We don't have to worry about medical bills here. We have to pay 'National Insurance contributions' which pay for our health service but those contributions are based on income. Really, they are just another form of income tax with the money being allocated to health and welfare. If you don't earn above a certain threshold you don't pay anything, and beyond that contributions are graduated but all patients get equal treatment

Once we need treatment we don't need to pay extra for scans etc. (There are exceptions which I have never understood - we have to pay a small prescription charge for drugs, but that is not related to the cost of the drugs and prescriptions are free once we get to 60. We also have to pay part of the cost of dental work or for glasses.)

I was very aware when I spent my 9 days in hospital that it would have cost A LOT if I had been in another country without private health insurance. I literally didn't pay a penny. They even sent me home in a hospital bus at the end of my stay. A nurse did free home visits for my regular blood tests until I was well enough to go to the local clinic to have them. They let me decide when that was - they didn't put any pressure on me. I knew that they were busy so I didn't abuse the privilege once I could make my own way to the clinic.

here's a comparison, you said a nurse came to your house till you were well, In 2010 the doctor wanted me to go to a physical therapy facility for a month after he released me. The facilty wouldn't take me because i had no insurance. I was left alone to fend for myself at home. I had to research strokes on the internet and figure out how to rehab my self, which I did. I didn't work for a year but finally came back.
We are fighting hard for universal health care for all in the states but the health industry is a massive cash machine for the insurance industry.
As you probably already know our govt. is incredibly corrupt, everything is pay to play. My 2010 hospital bill for an 8 day stay was $180,000 dollars. They took everything I HAD except my property. But.....I'm alive, enjoying life. All is good now.
I often wondered if you folks across the pond have any idea how corrupt our system here in the states is. They are ruthless, If you get sick and can't pay they just clean you out, trash your credit and leave you sick and in the poor house. It's a little bit better now with Obama care but still the insurance companies write the laws.
Don't mean to whine. It is what it is.
I'm OK now.......And my biking has a lot to do with it.
Gregg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Here's a US website that tells the story...The Healthcare Blue Book.
https://healthcarebluebook.com/
I spent ten days in hospital in 2012 for an entirely uncomplicated cardiac bypass graft. Prior to that I had had about half a dozen tests lasting about half an hour each. There were another half dozen brief consultations post-op to check progress before I was let loose on the bike again. The Blue Book showed that I would have been very approximately eighty or a hundred thousand pounds poorer if I had those procedures in the US. I mentioned this to my cardiologist at our last meeting three years ago. She said that the US health system was nothing short of an absolute scandal.

Top Bottom