Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surgery now scheduled for next Wednesday 24th August. I still haven't asked how long it will be before I can ride a bike again mainly because the answer will be "it depends." I know I can't drive for six weeks so suspect it's going to be a while.

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
Thankfully I've always been blessed with reasonable health. I have however been electrocuted, crashed a car hard enough to move the engine block 18 inches, nearly drowned as a child once, been within 200 metres of a bomb going off in my hometown, 8 years of marriage and 3 kids haven't finished me off either.

Don't feel like a survivor, so not really sure if it's right for this thread or not.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thankfully I've always been blessed with reasonable health. I have however been electrocuted, crashed a car hard enough to move the engine block 18 inches, nearly drowned as a child once, been within 200 metres of a bomb going off in my hometown, 8 years of marriage and 3 kids haven't finished me off either.

Don't feel like a survivor, so not really sure if it's right for this thread or not.
You're still here, aren't you?

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah but they were relatively minor occurrences. Cancer patients are survivors, people who've gone to war and been injured are survivors. I don't put myself in that class of survival!!
Well looked at like that, the day the bomb went off in Manchester city centre, I slept in. Ticket bought the day before, which if used would have had me walking in the area at the time it went off. Never did get a refund either.

It's on here(third page I think) epilepsy(born with it), cancer, no nuts, waterworks only following some re-plumbing. Not stopped one woman claiming I was the father of her child. There's a thread "Odd things that have happened to you", OP was just another day for me.

Four weeks after having my prostate removed, I've had the follow up with the consultant. I've been told he was able to remove all of the cancer ie it was contained within the prostate & hadn't spread outside (they slice up the removed prostate & look at the edges). Still a way to go - two weeks till I can drive again & several more after that till I can ride but at least I'm on the way :smile:

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
That is good to hear @RichK

I've been through two six month medical driving bans and it didn't really bother me at all, in fact these days I don't enjoy driving much at all. But being off the bike, that'd be tough to deal with. :sad:

So pleased about your news. :okay:

bladesman73

Über Member
I thought I would make a quick comment to follow up my previous posts following my heart attack in October. On Sunday it will be seven months to the day.

My target was always to return to my usual life. I've been back on the bike for a month. Last Saturday I did 66 miles with my club. The last six miles from our meet point to home were tough. Normally I would expect to ride 75 miles without much discomfort.

I feel better than I have for years and expect to be up to speed on my bike in two months.

I'd like to encourage everyone, and I do appreciate the very diverse range of illness people face, that with a good positive attitude and medical care very significant, even 100%, recoveries are achievable.

Good luck to all.
hi mate i had a heart attack 3 weeks ago, currently been told just to walk 20 mins per day.i attend my first rehab session on Friday. How long did it take for you to start riding again? Also any tips regards to proactive rehab?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
hi mate i had a heart attack 3 weeks ago, currently been told just to walk 20 mins per day.i attend my first rehab session on Friday. How long did it take for you to start riding again? Also any tips regards to proactive rehab?

First I think everyone is different and it's very important to follow the advice you are given.

I had an attack while on a club ride but didn't realise what had happened! I had two stents fitted and was home in less than 72 hours.

My first tip is to be 100% positive, you can and will make a full recovery. Get a simple chest strap HRM - the NHS use Polar - and monitor your exercise. I was asked to work in the range 90-120 BPM. Walking as fast as possible I hit 96, the hardest exercise in the rehab classes had me hitting 125. My resting HR is 48/50

I was offered rehab exercise classes and took these along with every other programme offers. If you're not offered NHS rehab classes the British Heart Foundation run them all round the country. I went to some after the NHS rehab finished - they were good.

For the first three months I spent my time walking. Initially 2 x 30 minutes working up to 3-4 miles a day after a month and then 5-6/7 miles everyday for two months. I have continued to walk 3-4 miles 2 or 3 times a week. Borrow a dog if you can, makes a big difference! Get some walking boots if you can.

After 6 weeks I went spinning twice weekly with my cycle club for 45-90 minutes depending on the session but only worked at a level which felt comfortable. Usually at HR of 130/140 for 3-4 minutes and then easing off till HR dropped back to 95ish.

After 10-12 weeks I tried a ride of 10 miles. I was OK but the following day felt very, very bad. Could have been coincidence but I decided not to chance it. I waited till five months before trying again. First ride did 15 and the second 30. I then rode lots of our club "intro" rides. These are 30 miles at about 13mph and intended to introduce people to group riding.

It's a year now and I'm riding better than ever. Last two Sundays people have commented on how strong I look. I'm doing 60/65 at around 16mph. I can get to 75 miles. Before the attack 85 miles was when it started to hurt. Can't get my HR above 162!!

My advice is don't try to be too quick to get back on the bike. Follow the rehab programme. You body AND mind will tell you when your ready to ride. Walking gets you very fit and if you go every day the weight will drop off. If you are already fit as a cyclist you may find the rehab programme doesn't extend you much so use the walking to increase the exercise.

I also took the chance to improve my diet. It was always OK but with more knowledge about cholesterol - that was my problem - I realised there were lots of small changes I could make. In the three months at home I got into cooking all sorts of things which we never really made time for before.

Have you been told about cold air and temperature change? I wasn't. When weather turned cold after my walks I would get real discomfort. This is common for heart patients. It's caused by rapid temperature change. The trick is this. Put on your outdoor clothes and stay inside for five minutes until you are very warm. While out cover your nose and mouth so you breath in moist warm air. When you get home strip off quickly, don't sit in your coat getting hotter.

The discomfort is caused by blood being pulled to the body core when you get cold - wrapping up stops this - and then being pumped rapidly to the extremities when you get in. I was really worried till this was explained to me

Hope this helps. Ask away.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For the first three months I spent my time walking. Initially 2 x 30 minutes working up to 3-4 miles a day after a month and then 5-6/7 miles everyday for two months. I have continued to walk 3-4 miles 2 or 3 times a week. Borrow a dog if you can, makes a big difference! Get some walking boots if you can.
I used hill walking after my clotting problems to get me fit enough for hilly cycling. I found it very effective and it was easy to vary effort according to how I felt.

Have you been told about cold air and temperature change? I wasn't. When weather turned cold after my walks I would get real discomfort. This is common for heart patients. It's caused by rapid temperature change. The trick is this. Put on your outdoor clothes and stay inside for five minutes until you are very warm. While out cover your nose and mouth so you breath in moist warm air. When you get home strip off quickly, don't sit in your coat getting hotter.
My lungs were in a bad way and really objected to gulping in cold air for the first couple of post-illness winters. They seem to have settled down now, 4 years later.

Reactions: gbb

Yorksman

Cheshire NHS trust have a cardiac rehabilitation video on youtube. Just simple exercises done at home to get you started but they exercise more muscles than cycling alone would. They are designed to give a a safe workout but as it is gradual and varied, it is good for seeing how you feel as you go on.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Cheshire NHS trust have a cardiac rehabilitation video on youtube. Just simple exercises done at home to get you started but they exercise more muscles than cycling alone would. They are designed to give a a safe workout but as it is gradual and varied, it is good for seeing how you feel as you go on.

Very much as I remember. I found it much easier to to be with a group than trying to go through the exercises at home, and really recommend continuing with the cardio rehab follow up sessions at local sports centres if available in your area. The Hospital rehab sessions also offered lots of advice about lifestyle and diet, drugs you might be prescribed etc.etc. .

Yorksman

I have just got back to riding again, 6 weeks after my heart attack, I too wrap up well and put a buff over nose & mouth, the only thing is my sunglasses steam up as soon as I stop :eek:

You need:

09c75bc02f0659d8473e64c9145fc841.jpg

Top Bottom