1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Colin_P, 8 Sep 2014.

Tags:
  1. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

When was that?

2. PaulSB

PaulSB Veteran

I thought I would make a quick comment to follow up my previous posts following my heart attack in October. On Sunday it will be seven months to the day.

My target was always to return to my usual life. I've been back on the bike for a month. Last Saturday I did 66 miles with my club. The last six miles from our meet point to home were tough. Normally I would expect to ride 75 miles without much discomfort.

I feel better than I have for years and expect to be up to speed on my bike in two months.

I'd like to encourage everyone, and I do appreciate the very diverse range of illness people face, that with a good positive attitude and medical care very significant, even 100%, recoveries are achievable.

Good luck to all.

3. Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider Formerly just_fixed

The waiting is scary. I too was lucky that I paid for private. Rushed straight in and had a mastectomy.....I didn't know blokes could get it either.

4. ColinJ

ColinJ Slow Hill Climber/Lift avoider!

I didn't know until you told me but then another man I know developed it. Apparently, the lifetime risk for males is about 1 in 1,000 so it is rare but not unheard of.

5. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

The rates of breast cancer in men are increasing whilst the rates in women are decreasing...

6. MrPie

MrPie Telling it like it is since 1971

Sounds like you are doing fine just_fixed.....having spent a bunch of time on google....which the best and worst thing in the world......I now know that the odds are good for early diagnosis and treatment. Buy yeah, the wait, not knowing....sheer torture. I only really checked because i saw an awareness video. Been checking the downstairs dept for years......never really thought of moobs.

classic33 likes this.
  7. RichK

RichK Über Member

Just back from the hospital. I'm now "officially" on the waiting list for a prostatectomy. Expect a letter with the date in the next few days but have previously been told the wait is around six weeks. :unsure:

8. RichK

RichK Über Member

Surgery now scheduled for next Wednesday 24th August. I still haven't asked how long it will be before I can ride a bike again mainly because the answer will be "it depends." I know I can't drive for six weeks so suspect it's going to be a while.

9. *Dusty*

*Dusty* Returning Hero.

Thankfully I've always been blessed with reasonable health. I have however been electrocuted, crashed a car hard enough to move the engine block 18 inches, nearly drowned as a child once, been within 200 metres of a bomb going off in my hometown, 8 years of marriage and 3 kids haven't finished me off either.

Don't feel like a survivor, so not really sure if it's right for this thread or not.

gbb, Lonestar and Markymark like this.
  10. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

You're still here, aren't you?

*Dusty* and dave r like this.
  11. *Dusty*

*Dusty* Returning Hero.

Yeah but they were relatively minor occurrences. Cancer patients are survivors, people who've gone to war and been injured are survivors. I don't put myself in that class of survival!!

12. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Well looked at like that, the day the bomb went off in Manchester city centre, I slept in. Ticket bought the day before, which if used would have had me walking in the area at the time it went off. Never did get a refund either.

It's on here(third page I think) epilepsy(born with it), cancer, no nuts, waterworks only following some re-plumbing. Not stopped one woman claiming I was the father of her child. There's a thread "Odd things that have happened to you", OP was just another day for me.

*Dusty* likes this.
  13. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

I was there, for an NUS conference. Our hotel was not far from the bomb site and as a result we weren't allowed back that night.

I ended up in crash pad accommodation in the Union at the University of Manchester - which had its advantages....

14. RichK

RichK Über Member

Four weeks after having my prostate removed, I've had the follow up with the consultant. I've been told he was able to remove all of the cancer ie it was contained within the prostate & hadn't spread outside (they slice up the removed prostate & look at the edges). Still a way to go - two weeks till I can drive again & several more after that till I can ride but at least I'm on the way :smile:

gbb, david k, classic33 and 4 others like this.
  15. Colin_P

Colin_P Über Member

That is good to hear @RichK

I've been through two six month medical driving bans and it didn't really bother me at all, in fact these days I don't enjoy driving much at all. But being off the bike, that'd be tough to deal with. :sad:

So pleased about your news. :okay:

RichK likes this.