1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Colin_P, 8 Sep 2014.

Tags:
  1. PaulSB

PaulSB Veteran

Absolutely 100% this. When I had my heart attack I'd no idea what it was. My main thought was I'd bonked. After getting home I told myself look Paul, you're 61, something doesn't feel right, get to hospital.

I now know, because I experienced them for 3-4 months during rehab, the little twinges I had for years were in fact my heart. Get it checked out! Apparently it's more difficult to detect early signs of heart attack in women so ladies should be even more aware.

There's no need to feel embarrassment. Couple of years ago I found a pea sized lump in my groin. Phoned the surgery at 8.00am and was offered an appointment three days hence. I said to the receptionist I'm 60, I have lump in my groin. Oh, can you get here by 10.15!

When my GP pronounced it was a.cyst I first laughed with relief and second felt very embarrassed. She was quite clear, any symptoms of major issues see the GP immediately.

slowmotion and The Jogger like this.
  2. Alan O

Alan O Active Member

Yep, thumbs up to that from me too. I got my first sign of trouble when I was walking round town doing a bit of shopping, and I suddenly found that walking 100m or so made me feel exhausted and produced a strange tightness in my chest - it was a sudden step-change, and I knew something wasn't right. I happened to be very near a taxi stand at the time, so I got right in and went straight to A&E.

3. The Jogger

The Jogger Guru

Did it turn out to be a heart attack Alan?

4. Alan O

Alan O Active Member

Ah, I thought I'd said earlier in the thread, but it seems I didn't. Yes, a heart attack, followed by a quadruple bypass. It was 10 years ago, and I've been great ever since.

slowmotion, The Jogger and Slick like this.
  5. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

My assesment this morning went very well, I'm in good shape, my first gym session, cardiac rehab, is set for Friday afternoon, could be back on the bike in a couple of weeks.

gbb, derrick, Slick and 8 others like this.
  6. JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

dave r likes this.
  7. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

First cardio rehab session this afternoon, laps of the gym to warm up, six minutes on the bike, rower and treadmill, working light and steady, then more laps of the gym to warm down. I'm not a gym bunny but I enjoyed that, it was nice to do some work and stretch myself a little. Downside was putting on a pair of cycle tights and a short sleeved top for the session, first time in cycle gear for three weeks, and I appear to have gained a belly from somewhere, hopefully it will vanish as I get more active. The good news is I've been OK'd to start using the turbo trainer again, short steady sessions but its a start.

The Jogger, gbb, ColinJ and 4 others like this.
  8. Slick

Slick Senior Member

Well done. The gym just bores me to tears, but compared to watching TV, I would take it, especially in the absence of anything else.

Is there a group, or one to one?

9. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

At the moment it's one to one but as I learn my way round I will become a part of a group doing a similar routine, all the rehab routines are tailored to suit the individual.

derrick and Slick like this.
  10. Alan O

Alan O Active Member

That sounds great Dave. I enjoyed my cardiac rehab far more than I thought I would, and it got me into a long-term habit of enjoying exercise just for its own sake rather than as a side effect of, say, cycling or whatever.

The Jogger and dave r like this.
  11. RichK

RichK Über Member

More positive news from me. Results of my first post-op PSA test. I scored a big fat zero. That's like a pointless answer on, err, Pointless. Only better, much better.

12. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Well done

13. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Cardio rehab session today, should have been tomorrow but I won't be able to fit it in. At the end of the session I was told that from next week they will be increasing the intensity of the workout. I was also told I can start cycling again, I've got to start off short and slow but I can start peddling again. :hyper:

Katherine, The Jogger, JtB and 5 others like this.
  14. Alan O

Alan O Active Member

^_^:okay:

dave r likes this.
  15. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Not been given the all clear, just the need for no surgery. Third time with cancer.

The epilepsy is lifelong, if anyone wants to say that living with it for the last fifty odd years is a lie, let them. I'll ask them to back that claim up. I lost the nuts to cancer in '99, and this last month hasn't been the best for me by far.

Neither's a joke, don't treat either as such.

dave r likes this.