Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One at the surgery thought it was that @ColinJ, commenting "there's not a lot in it(small sample amount), could I do a bit more next time?"
Bang your head against a wall a few times first - that would help! :whistle:
It's a good job they classed it as urgent. It's the date itself that gets me though.
How long would they take if they thought it were NOT urgent - a year? :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
Bang your head against a wall a few times first - that would help! :whistle:
Knowing it's going to happen would be better. I'd not be trying to get the lid off the sterile specimen containers carried.
How long would they take if they thought it were NOT urgent - a year? :wacko:
Don't want to think/speculate on that one.

flatflr

Guru
Guess i can join this exclusive club now. Woke up this morning with tight pain in chest, numb fingers and generaly feeling weak. Called NHS direct who went through the symptoms and despatched an ambulance. 4 1/2 hours later i've had an angiogram which confirmed a heart attack and had a stent fitted. Just had lunch and a cuppa tea and feeling much better now, going to be in under observation for 48hours. Looks like i might have to cancel the ride i had planned for sunday:sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

Guess i can join this exclusive club now. Woke up this morning with tight pain in chest, numb fingers and generaly feeling weak. Called NHS direct who went through the symptoms and despatched an ambulance. 4 1/2 hours later i've had an angiogram which confirmed a heart attack and had a stent fitted. Just had lunch and a cuppa tea and feeling much better now, going to be in under observation for 48hours. Looks like i might have to cancel the ride i had planned for sunday:sad:

If you're treated the same as me you'll not be allowed to cycle or drive for about a month and have to do cardiac rehab, gym work. Take it easy, listen to your body and the doctors and you'll soon recover.

Alan O

Über Member
That was quick treatment! That's the key though, very quick attention to a heart attack can greatly reduce the risk of further problems. You might well be offered cardiac rehab once you've recovered sufficiently, and if you're a regular cyclist you'll probably find it pretty tame stuff - but I'd urge you to do it, as you'll get your HR and BP checked and recorded at the start and end of every session, and that's important information at that stage.

(I see Dave R beat me to essentially the same thing :smile:)

D

Deleted member 1258

That was quick treatment! That's the key though, very quick attention to a heart attack can greatly reduce the risk of further problems. You might well be offered cardiac rehab once you've recovered sufficiently, and if you're a regular cyclist you'll probably find it pretty tame stuff - but I'd urge you to do it, as you'll get your HR and BP checked and recorded at the start and end of every session, and that's important information at that stage.

(I see Dave R beat me to essentially the same thing :smile:)

I was suprised at how benificial the rehab was, it didn't feel like I'd worked hard but at the end I'd lost weight and improved my fitness.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
My local hospital has what they call a rapid access clinic for heart attack (heart plumbing) patients.

During the six weeks or so I've spent on the cardio ward over the last few years I've watched people come and go very quickly.

It is a shame they have not yet come up with similar for heart electics patients.

@flatflr you will be back on the bike soon and will probably feel better than you did previously.

flatflr

Guru
Cheers for the comments guys. I'm in the cadiac care ward at the moment hooked up to the machine that goes "bing".
Going to follow the doctors instructions to the letter.
Turns out i've had a restriction for some years which the have addressed, so i should be better than ever:smile:

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Cheers for the comments guys. I'm in the cadiac care ward at the moment hooked up to the machine that goes "bing".
Going to follow the doctors instructions to the letter.
Turns out i've had a restriction for some years which the have addressed, so i should be better than ever:smile:

Top tip with regard to that bloody bonging noise....

When they are not looking it is very simple to silece the alarm noises on it, they are normally touch screen and it is easy to do. :whistle:

Madness some will say but on a cardio ward they will have screen which also alarm at the nurses station. They will still be on you like a rash if anything is amiss.

Alan O

Über Member
Top tip with regard to that bloody bonging noise....

When they are not looking it is very simple to silece the alarm noises on it, they are normally touch screen and it is easy to do. :whistle:

Madness some will say but on a cardio ward they will have screen which also alarm at the nurses station. They will still be on you like a rash if anything is amiss.
Oh, and a tip for a bit of fun when you have a visitor.

The ECG/HR/etc monitor (not sure if it's the one that goes ping), the one where all the wires connected around your body all go into a single multi-way connector which then connects to the main machine lead...

If you get a visitor staring at the display in fascination, following your every heartbeat, quietly slip the connector under the sheets, lie still and roll your eyes back and stick your tongue out, and pull the plug... what a laugh you can have when they see it flatlining and turn to look at you!

flatflr

Guru
Just had my review before i get kicked out tomorrow, glad to see that my discharge status is "alive"

Had a bit of a laugh when the doc asked how much i excercised (650 miles running and 1600 miles cycling so far this yesr). Have been told that due to my current fitness ans if i feel ok i can skip the first week of the 4 week recovery and start with 30 min flat walks every day for a week as soon as i get home, then walks with hills, then i should be ok to start back with gentle running and short rides.

Have a load of drugs to take but these will be checked over my my local doc.

classic33

Leg End Member
One at the surgery thought it was that @ColinJ, commenting "there's not a lot in it(small sample amount), could I do a bit more next time?"

It's a good job they classed it as urgent. It's the date itself that gets me though.
Wasted morning, MRI scan has been requested. And I've been referred back to the surgery(that made the Urgent referral), so that they can refer me onto someone else.

Hello All,

As per the title, are there any survivors of serious illnesses on here ?

Reason being, I'm slow and don't do big distances and would love to 'follow' others of similar ability on Strava to get and provide some encouragement for each other.

Me.

I have suffered several Sudden Cardiac Arrests (SCA's) and am among the lucky 5% to survive one. I now have an ICD (Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator) in my chest looking after me. It has saved my life three times in the year I have had it, the last time was just under a month ago.

I still get out on my bikes but limit the rides to less than an hour and typically do about four off road miles a day in about twenty five minutes. The biggest rides I'm doing are about 11-12 miles in about an hour.

A Cardiac Arrest is different to a Heart Attack in so far as it is caused by dodgy electrics in the heart rather than blocked plumbing. Thankfully my plumbing is fine. Sometimes it is hard to get out there and anxiety, panic and general worry can play is big part.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has faced or is continuing to face serious health issues and how they are getting on.
I've suffered panic attacks,work related depression,now through the worst, historical marathon runner in my thirties now 57,bought road bike two months ago,now up to steady thirty thirty fine miles aweek,having bike near patio doors,purchase cycling rain Cape help me get over reluctance,inertia to get out,also has a door to door one mileostomy circuit with stiff half mile climb,...jUstinov do three four slow circu it's if,unmotivated on days off work. Check booked by Dr claire weekes essential help for your nerves,publisher Angus and Robertson for your panic issues,she also wrote self help for your nerves,has short vignette interviews on u tube.good luck keith in england

Top Bottom