Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Somebody mentioned that anyone could increase their average speed, if they went shorter and faster, instead of going for distance. So I thought I would give it a go, because my last longer rides sees me flag badly over the last few miles which then sees my average speed fall off a cliff. One hour today over 15 miles, so my average went up by 1 mph, and I'm chuffed. If only I could get out more, I would probably be able to do 15 mph over longer distances. When you're out by yourself and see a group of riders swoosh past and vanish in the distance, I just tell myself that I'm on the front all ride long, not taking turns and then hiding in the pack for most of the ride. Not bad for a cardiac patient in recovery and almost 60-years old ....... Does get frustrating though when ladies and gents more senior to me blast past me :wub:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Somebody mentioned that anyone could increase their average speed, if they went shorter and faster, instead of going for distance. So I thought I would give it a go, because my last longer rides sees me flag badly over the last few miles which then sees my average speed fall off a cliff. One hour today over 15 miles, so my average went up by 1 mph, and I'm chuffed. If only I could get out more, I would probably be able to do 15 mph over longer distances. When you're out by yourself and see a group of riders swoosh past and vanish in the distance, I just tell myself that I'm on the front all ride long, not taking turns and then hiding in the pack for most of the ride. Not bad for a cardiac patient in recovery and almost 60-years old ....... Does get frustrating though when ladies and gents more senior to me blast past me :wub:
But it beats the alternative, eh? :thumbsup:

I was getting frustrated on the bike the other day but then remembered that 2 years ago I was bedridden, barely able to walk 20 yards. I am fitter now than I was before I got ill, but having got the taste for it, I want to get REALLY fit!

We can only do what we can do. Let's just build ourselves up at whatever rate and to whatever level our bodies and cope with, and enjoy the journey!

Effyb4

Veteran
But it beats the alternative, eh? :thumbsup:

I was getting frustrated on the bike the other day but then remembered that 2 years ago I was bedridden, barely able to walk 20 yards. I am fitter now than I was before I got ill, but having got the taste for it, I want to get REALLY fit!

We can only do what we can do. Let's just build ourselves up at whatever rate and to whatever level our bodies and cope with, and enjoy the journey!

I too am much fitter than I was before my heart attack. I do get frustrated that I'm not as fast as other female cyclists I know, but then remind myself that they haven't had open heart surgery a year ago.

D

Deleted member 1258

I too am much fitter than I was before my heart attack. I do get frustrated that I'm not as fast as other female cyclists I know, but then remind myself that they haven't had open heart surgery a year ago.

I'm a lot slower than I was before the angina, and occasionally I find my lack of pace annoying, but then I think yes I'm still here, living breathing and still pedaling, and then the lack of pace seems unimportant.

classic33

Leg End Member
Out on your own, the only person you're racing is yourself.
So what if your passed by someone else.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just passed the 7th anniversary of my throat cancer operation. I had to forfeit my right pectoral muscle as it was directed to my neck to fill in the bit they cut out. I also had to have my jaw cut and lose two teeth to reach the tumour. I had a steel plate fitted in my jaw which sometimes gives me pain. Now i have restricted movement of my neck due to a lessening in strength of the neck muscles. I also can't put my right arm up straight due to the operation.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe next year we should organise a survivors ride somewhere?
Something like this one perhaps ...? :whistle:

I enjoyed it a lot so I have decided to repeat it at the end of March 2015. I wouldn't expect such a big turnout next time, but it would be nice to get a group of at least 10 riders. You'd be welcome to join us! :thumbsup:

(I'll start a new thread ride in 'Informal Rides' at the end of February.)

D

Deleted member 1258

Out on your own, the only person you're racing is yourself.
So what if your passed by someone else.

Out on my ride today I was passed by the Clubs veterans ride, not many on it today, my regular ride years ago, I said a cheery good morning and watched them pass, if I'd jumped on the back I would have lasted till the next hill then had to watch them disappear over the horizon.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Something like this one perhaps ...? :whistle:

I enjoyed it a lot so I have decided to repeat it at the end of March 2015. I wouldn't expect such a big turnout next time, but it would be nice to get a group of at least 10 riders. You'd be welcome to join us! :thumbsup:

(I'll start a new thread ride in 'Informal Rides' at the end of February.)

Colin I'll have some of that mate, I think it's a great idea

Effyb4

Veteran
I'd really like to join this but I think 100 miles is too much for me (although I've done 50) and I'm not sure what sort of speed people would be doing.

Top Bottom