Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

classic33

Leg End Member
Take it you followed and read the last link given.
"No Antidote
While all blood thinners carry the risk of internal bleeding, older drugs like warfarin have emergency antidotes to prevent serious harm. Xarelto does not have an antidote, and the drug cannot be flushed out of the system through dialysis. People who suffer bleeding can end up hospitalized, and the bleed may be fatal."

I check my own anti-epileptic medication before starting, whenever possible.

classic33

Leg End Member
https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/news/news/trobalt-warning-effects-skin-and-eyes
Effect on the eyes
Trobalt%20internal%20pic%201.jpg

"These abnormalities take the form of pigment (colour) changes in the retina, which can lead to serious eye disease and loss of vision. Whether the specific issue with Trobalt can lead to such serious problems with vision is still unclear. However, some people have reported reduced visual acuity. This is a loss of the sharpness of vision, where numbers and letters may become blurred.

The FDA warning advises anyone who is taking Trobalt (or Potiga in the US) to have an eye examination and regular check-ups. People with epilepsy should have these examinations to make sure there are no negative impacts on their vision. If any are noticed by an optician, medication should – where possible – be changed (with medical supervision).

Although the skin discolouration appears to be less serious as a side-effect, if this happens to anyone taking Trobalt they should also consider switching medicines."

Its one that was considered, but I'm not overly keen on either blue eyes or blue skin. Unknown if the effect is reversable at this time.

ColinJ

Take it you followed and read the last link given.
"No Antidote
While all blood thinners carry the risk of internal bleeding, older drugs like warfarin have emergency antidotes to prevent serious harm. Xarelto does not have an antidote, and the drug cannot be flushed out of the system through dialysis. People who suffer bleeding can end up hospitalized, and the bleed may be fatal."

I check my own anti-epileptic medication before starting, whenever possible.
Oh yes!

They are working on antidotes, and there are techniques that hospitals can use but I read somewhere that only about 25% of A&E departments would know what to do, and do it! At least with warfarin an injection of Vitamin K would do the trick and warfarin has been around a long time so it is well understood.

Nasty, isn't it!

Are you on anticoagulation for life? I wouldn't dare risk coming off it again, having reclotted less than 3 months after stopping it in 2013.

Oh, and if so, are you taking warfarin or one of the new drugs? (I have decided to stick to warfarin until there is more data on long-term use of NOACs.)

Yes, on Warfarin & now "for life." It took about 9 months for me to re-clot after stopping the original six months. Alternatives to Warfarin have not been discussed - but as my INR (& dose) has settled & stayed in range I'm in no particular hurry to change.

The scariest thing for me was being involved in an RTC (whilst on Warfarin), which could have been nasty and how much persuasion it took in A&E to not send me home!

ColinJ

Yes, on Warfarin & now "for life." It took about 9 months for me to re-clot after stopping the original six months. Alternatives to Warfarin have not been discussed - but as my INR (& dose) has settled & stayed in range I'm in no particular hurry to change.

The scariest thing for me was being involved in an RTC (whilst on Warfarin), which could have been nasty and how much persuasion it took in A&E to not send me home!
I worried about accidents when I was first on warfarin, but decided to just get on with life now. I did buy a medical tag to wear round my neck whenever I go out though, so at least paramedics would know why I was bleeding so much if I were to be found unconscious.

woohoo

Veteran
Although NOACs don't have a chemical antidote, they have a fairly effective antidote in the form of time. You also have to take into account the real world timings involved in these events. The impact of vitamin K treatment is by no means immediate. Warfarin has a long half life and remains in the system much longer than the short half line NOACs (these have to be taken twice daily because of this) and in some studies I saw a while back the the clotting of the blood increased quicker when the NOACs were stopped than in the case of vit K injections being given to warfarin users. This of course depends on the timing of taking these drugs, the time taken to get to A&E etc. I opted for using NOACs because, IMV, it is as safe an option in real world conditions, I can stop and start them easily when need be e.g. elective surgery / dental work, the independence from diet dependency e.g. feasting or otherwise on vit K-rich food, the standard dosage and no blood tests. I've been on them for over a year without any problems.

.... But it all comes down to personal choice/attitude to risk, life style impact if you are offered the choice.

PK99

Legendary Member
if I were to be found

OT

ohhh! proper English!

Top Bottom