Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Severe asthmatic, been resuscitated twice. My asthma meds have given me Secondary Addison's disease so basically my body does not produce any/enough cortisol to stay alive (cortisol balances sodium/potassium in the blood stream, helps digest food, produces muscle, stops muscle wastage....) and I also have rare form of tracheomalacia and bronchiectasis from constant chest infections which have damaged my lungs and throat from constant coughing over the years... and then there is the pituitary adenoma... that's the worst of the conditions...

oh and I am partially paralysed from an accident 20 years ago which has left me with osteoporosis, but only in my left femur...

I'm slow, but steady, don't quit easily and don't give in easily either. It will probably kill me, but then something has to... I don't expect to survive my next major asthma attack.

And yet you still manage over 100k - off road - day after day...:bravo:

And yet you still manage over 100k - off road - day after day...:bravo:
I only manage that when I am having a good period - that and doing nothing else - what people don't know is that I basically go to bed after our evening meal (when on tour) and sleep for the best part of 10-12 hours and the 2nd week of our holiday required me to double my steroid dose because it was taking too much out of me (I am meant to double them when ill or under the weather...). Even at home I am in bed for 9pm when I have done nothing all day! Last year I spent 3-4 months in bed unable to do anything over the summer months, expect sleep. thankfully they gave up and put me on steroids permanently back in November last year, so I have been much better since and in the last month, I have had a major break through with my asthma meds (one of them contained dairy products which was being sprayed directly into my lungs - I'm allergic to dairy products!) I still get days where I get as far as breakfast and know that the day is not going to happen and the only thing I can sensibly do is go back to bed (anything else is physically dangerous because my coordination is usually out and I can't think straight), but they are getting fewer and further between those days and I am actually beginning to feel like I could return to work - OK probably only part-time but even considering it is something new! I haven't worked for the last 3 1/2 years. 1 year of that was on the road on tour, but since returning to the UK we have both despaired at me being able to work again, but this last month has seen such a change since getting off that darn medication with dairy in it - living in permanently anaphylactic shock does not do the body any good whatsoever! I have even signed up to college for a single class a week! I know it doesn't sound much but it is progress I have not been able to make for quite some time...

My asthma consultant has also told me to "not stop cycling" because he does not think he can control my asthma with meds alone... so at least that is motivation to continue fighting...

I am now going to give up cycling. After reading all this, it can't be good for your health.
:smile:

Seriously, it's actually great to know how far our knowledge has progressed. I remember a school friend's father having a heart attack in the 1970s. For him, it was just a patient wait in a chair, trying to exert himself too much before the next attack ended his life. Now people are asking how many days before they can get back on their bikes.

kudos to everyone in this thread, and your fight against adversity

Fubar

Guru
I only manage that when I am having a good period - that and doing nothing else - what people don't know is that I basically go to bed after our evening meal (when on tour) and sleep for the best part of 10-12 hours and the 2nd week of our holiday required me to double my steroid dose because it was taking too much out of me (I am meant to double them when ill or under the weather...). Even at home I am in bed for 9pm when I have done nothing all day! Last year I spent 3-4 months in bed unable to do anything over the summer months, expect sleep. thankfully they gave up and put me on steroids permanently back in November last year, so I have been much better since and in the last month, I have had a major break through with my asthma meds (one of them contained dairy products which was being sprayed directly into my lungs - I'm allergic to dairy products!) I still get days where I get as far as breakfast and know that the day is not going to happen and the only thing I can sensibly do is go back to bed (anything else is physically dangerous because my coordination is usually out and I can't think straight), but they are getting fewer and further between those days and I am actually beginning to feel like I could return to work - OK probably only part-time but even considering it is something new! I haven't worked for the last 3 1/2 years. 1 year of that was on the road on tour, but since returning to the UK we have both despaired at me being able to work again, but this last month has seen such a change since getting off that darn medication with dairy in it - living in permanently anaphylactic shock does not do the body any good whatsoever! I have even signed up to college for a single class a week! I know it doesn't sound much but it is progress I have not been able to make for quite some time...

My asthma consultant has also told me to "not stop cycling" because he does not think he can control my asthma with meds alone... so at least that is motivation to continue fighting...

Wow. I think this thread and the "Depression Strikes" thread are the two most humbling/inspiring things I've read in a long time.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Humbling, nah......

It is a celebration of the human spirit in the face of adversity, against all the odds blah blah blah.

As the originator of this thread, it is just nice to know that you are not on your own and that there are people as mad as you out there on their bikes.

classic33

Leg End Member
thankfully not me - I've only gone as far as resus twice! That is more than enough for me... ;)

and how come from the church... surely you had to get there first?
Resus came to me.

A fit at Midnight Mass, where I'm told I fell like a log. Led to the local undertaker being coming to the rescue. Carried out, on a board by his employees, to the waiting Hearse. From the church to the local doctor and onto the nearest hospital.
Nearest ambulance was some 50 miles away, when required. The hearse was quicker.

Paul Bromley

Hi Guys,
first post

Had an out of hospital heart attack and cardiac arrest 16th Dec last year. Was resuscitated by ambulance crew and had emergency surgery to fit 2 stents to trap a clot. Got chilled in critical care for 4 days and was kicked out of hospital on Christmas eve with pneumonia as a leaving present

Previously I have been fit and well and have been cycling for decades, the bulk of my riding being 29mile commutes to work and back for 9 months of the year.

All in all I feel fine. Very lucky I have no brain injury. I will never complain about the NHS again. UHNS were brilliant, can't praise their emergency care enough
Cardiology discharged me at the first opportunity in feb with no restrictions on doing anything.

I have given myself a self imposed exile out of the saddle of a year. Don't want to be cycling to work 6:30 in the morning along the canal on my own unitl I build up some confidence in the new me

I've been hitting the gym since mid January and got a routine that, as far as my heart rate goes, profiles my commute to work.

The positives for the cycling life style are clear. The medics said if I hadn’t of been fit I would have died

Can't wait to get back in the saddle to see what the new me can do !

Paul

classic33

Leg End Member
Suitable for this thread and the others of a similar nature!
Before You Judge Me.jpg

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
Hello All,

As per the title, are there any survivors of serious illnesses on here ?

Reason being, I'm slow and don't do big distances and would love to 'follow' others of similar ability on Strava to get and provide some encouragement for each other.

Me.

I have suffered several Sudden Cardiac Arrests (SCA's) and am among the lucky 5% to survive one. I now have an ICD (Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator) in my chest looking after me. It has saved my life three times in the year I have had it, the last time was just under a month ago.

I still get out on my bikes but limit the rides to less than an hour and typically do about four off road miles a day in about twenty five minutes. The biggest rides I'm doing are about 11-12 miles in about an hour.

A Cardiac Arrest is different to a Heart Attack in so far as it is caused by dodgy electrics in the heart rather than blocked plumbing. Thankfully my plumbing is fine. Sometimes it is hard to get out there and anxiety, panic and general worry can play is big part.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has faced or is continuing to face serious health issues and how they are getting on.

My wife has had a SCA in 2010 (48yrs old), I did CPR until the paramedics arrived (CPR cannot revive a cardiac arrest without a defibrillator) to keep her heart pumping, She had 5 shocks and didn't regain consciousness and was very unstable, she spent 3 days in a coma on a life support machine until she came around, she suffered slight brain damage from lack of oxygen, she was fitted with a ICD unit (similar to a pace maker but also defibrilates in the event of a SCA, earlier the year she had 2 cardiac arrests in 24 hrs in which the ICD did its job very well indeed, and a very irregular heart beat for 2 weeks, she is on a variety of drugs to control her heart, as you say a 5% chance of surviving a SCA is pretty low, to have survived 3 is on borrowed time, luckily I am/was a trained first aider as part of my old job. We now take everyday as it comes,

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Dave,

Your Wife is very much like me as the heart events are continuing. I hope you are both coping as well as you can and an important message to both of you is that you are not alone. I've been saved three times by my ICD and it doesn't get any easier knowing that it can and does keep happening to you. What is helping me is developing ways to recover physiologically from the events, it is slow and I haven't got the hang of it yet but each time it happens I try and bounce back a bit quicker.

Thinking of you both, you are not alone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom