Anybody Generate their own power.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Looking into this at the moment. Ive got 2 options, either a small stream we have for hydro,or wind (as we live in probably the windiest part of the country and are on top of a hill nearly 1000ft).

Looking to do a fair bit of construction of it myself,its the tech side Im having problems with. There does nt seem to be much info on the net about matching the components of the different systems.

Everybody wants to sell you something and charge massive ammounts for site visits and planning and instalation.

Wondered if anybody could point me in the right direction or has any expeirience of a project of this kind.:biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I would start here if I was you: http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks for the link - we are considering the solar options at the moment so its good to have another source of information.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well its Mr Summerdays baby really - I agree with the principle I'm just a lot less technical than him. So from what I gather he wants to heat the water (we have teenage girls - say no more!), and we have a due south facing roof. (And live in a city so can't have substantial wind turbine etc). But we would need to change our tank... its all getting a bit complicated into which order we need to do the changes. Our boiler is about 18 years old, and we would need to replace the tank too.

We have friends in Switzerland who have a huge solar panel in their garden and were generating a reasonable amount from it even on coolish days.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've got solar panels for water heating and I'm getting an air source heat pump installed for central heating soon.

The panels have been in for one summer and I got about 3.5 months DD payment back from my gas supplier. And it wasn't the best of summers!

I'd highly recommend my installer - he's genuinely interested in the environmental issues rather than just making a profit out of installations. He only works in the north east of England so probably not much use in Wales or Bristol but he might be able to recommend someone in your area. Google "Northburn solar" if you want his details.

Anne

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have already got a 160 litre copper cylinder installed in the attic in tandem with the existing house cylinder and this spring I'm going to buy a panel from Viridian Solar and use that to pre-heat the water entering the main cylinder. They have an impressive product, see: http://www.viridiansolar.co.uk/About Viridian Solar.htm

The system is very simple and I plan to get scaffolding up and install it myself. Actually I'm going to plumb the primary heating circuit with a motorised Y valve and set it up so that, when we get a bigger house cylinder, I can set the two cylinder 'stats to divert the primary hot water from the panel to whichever cylinder needs it most, thus giving myself over 300 litres of solar-heated water on a good day.

I'll post a few pics on here when I do the job. Gotta buy the panel and kit first.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

I think for those that can it is definitely the way forward, but at the moment it does seem to be in its infancy, once more suppliers come on line and the industry grows it could make it far more attractive financially.

When we re-did this house I had a solar capable hot water tank and the piping installed but haven't got the money to finish it off yet.

Top Bottom