Anyone been brave enough to cycle in this cold snap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
DSC_0098.JPG

DSC_0104.JPG

Even my 6 yr old grandson loved getting out for a pedal..

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Roads were free of ice and snow today so i chanced it. -3'c, got snowed and sleeted on but i had my hour of exercise. (regular short loop - 16miles)

It was rather refreshing though not refreshing as last year when the streets were absolutely empty

Went out yesterday for a 12 mile ride. I have Reynaud's condition which makes my hands very painful in the very cold weather, and wear lobster claw gloves, which normally help.

They were little help and, by the time I got home I could hardly shift the gears or pull the brakes I was in so much pain. It didn't help that I wasn't wearing my heaviest jacket.

I went from the freezing cold into a very hot kitchen and had to go for a lie down on the sofa because of the dizziness that hit me.

It's happened just once before and I really should learn from my mistakes.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Went out on Sunday for a ride and it was bitterly cold, windy, snowy but perfectly rideable as it hadn't frozen at that point
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-1860#post-6304836

Absolutely no way I was going to use the bike yesterday so a nice afternoon walk in the snow was had, then a slow 50km on the 29er this afternoon when the main roads had cleared, but the back roads in the countryside and some residential areas were still somewhat problematic with ruts, soft snow on top of ruts/hardpacked snow/ice or just plain hard packed polished snow/ice
Road conditions.JPG

Durango Bay

I have managed to cycle whenever I wanted this winter with the help of marino base layers, DeFeet woolly boollie socks and double gloves but this week has defeated me. Sunday is looking ok.

Nope.

Out here in the fens there's nothing to stop the wind, and that easterly is right brutal. It's ok around the house as it's sheltered by trees, but outside the gate, no. Just... no.
Yes a nice fat windproof layer did help today. On the plus side the roads were clean(ish) and dry for probably the first time since October!
WA_0DlfpsWVR-1tsq8A3OZmUrudrXzqjXAibWOPi7_o-2048x1536.jpg

The sky does look bigger in winter!
(The bit in the middle is my hill training area ^_^)

Yes a nice fat windproof layer did help today. On the plus side the roads were clean(ish) and dry for probably the first time since October!
View attachment 573155
The sky does look bigger in winter!
(The bit in the middle is my hill training area ^_^)

Gotta love those big fen skies! :wub:

Roads still fairly mucky here, alas. And just a little bit up the road, totally under water to the tune of about 5 foot...

Gotta love those big fen skies! :wub:

Roads still fairly mucky here, alas. And just a little bit up the road, totally under water to the tune of about 5 foot...
Might get a rare chance to get the ice skates out if it does get a bit colder and make use of the flooded fields!

nonowt

Über Member
20210209_233440.jpg

Yep, been out the last few weekends. First cold one was beautiful with sparkling frost clinging to the trees. Next time it snowed all the way home which was great fun (see pic). The following one seemed much milder until me and my riding buddy both came a cropper on what turned out to be a 100m section of black ice. Luckily we suffered nothing worse than a few bruises and some slightly shredded kit. I sat this last weekend out (on my non-bruised cheek) but chances are I'll be out again this weekend albeit with a renewed caution around anything that could possibly be ice!

Top Bottom