Anyone been brave enough to cycle in this cold snap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Annoyingly my turf rival does not appear to be fazed by the snow, since they were still out at 9:30pm tonight taking every zone I captured. :cursing::sad: and going at a fair lick too, by my calculation they averaged 7mph between zones.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't mind cold weather too much. I've got lots of clothes to keep me warm. Certainly my feet and hands get cold but that isn't really morale-sapping. It's ice that stops me cycling when it gets cold. The main roads in London tend to get gritted and ice doesn't form, but as soon as you turn off onto quieter streets, it can get a bit dicey, especially on thin road bike tyres. I came off yesterday when it was barely freezing and it happened in the blink of an eye. No harm done, just a grazed knee, but it makes me mighty apprehensive, and that's no fun. I'm grounding myself for the moment.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
slowmotion said:
It's ice that stops me cycling when it gets cold. The main roads in London tend to get gritted and ice doesn't form, but as soon as you turn off onto quieter streets, it can get a bit dicey, especially on thin road bike tyres.

That's the reason why I tend to avoid riding in freezing conditions. Main roads that get gritted aren't a problem, apart from the fact you and the bike will get covered in gritty, salty crap - so don't wear anything or ride anything you care too much about! Fresh snow is not a problem on tyres with some tread, so long as you take it easy. The problem is in places like London, it soon gets compacted even in the back streets and on cycle paths, then it becomes really treacherous, especially the next morning after temps have dropped overnight. Unless you live on a main road and your destination is on a main road, and you can use main roads for the whole route, then you inevitably have to ride some dodgy sections that haven't been gritted, and may conceal black ice or be covered with compacted snow and ice. That's when it gets dangerous, and I leave the bike and either walk or drive.

Not me. Learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I lost it on black ice. Now it's got to be 4° and above for me to venture out.
I'd go out in anything above freezing if there hasn't been a deep freeze with moisture overnight but then you are in Kent - gets more extreme weather than some folk might think - and ice can linger well into the day. I agree totally that ice has to be respected.

I've not been out - won't until the weekend thaw - I live at the top of a dead-end steep hill - don't fancy sliding off down it.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Given that it looks like this outside and is currently minus 8, I think I’ll pass on cycling. Lol.

Adam4868

Guru
No pleasure cycling as works getting in the way.But cycling to work 8 miles each way.Missed a couple of days (four/five) due to ice.Still in shorts aswell ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Debating another ride today. It seems icy rather than snow now, with a bitmof a thaw yesterday, a re freeze overnight, and another light dusting atop. I'll check out the surface while walking Mini D to school and ,ake a judgement on whether its worth the risk. However, the mere cold itself - currently -4°C - won't stop me.

shnjmsn

Über Member
It's not the cold, I can dress up like an eskimo. The fingers and toes still go though, no matter what I'm wearing ! I just don't do ice and slippery roads. I'm working from home so don't have to commute. I'll wait until the ice goes and the risk of falling off is less......... I could do without a few months of Spring and Summer off the bike because I've broken myself, all for the sake of a couple more days. I'll go for a walk instead............:laugh:

Anderoo

Regular
I am finally getting my moneys worth out of that smart trainer I purchased a year ago. That came with the "What a waste of money, you will never use it" :smile: I am looking forward to getting back outside though.

Top Bottom