Anyone been brave enough to cycle in this cold snap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And if the wind is more than 20mph it's also turbo time.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Exactly my thinking. No point in going out and getting no benefit.

Good illustration of how diverse the cycling community is. I tried a turbo once and it made me realise how much the sense of freedom and connection with nature and the elements is central to why I love cycling.

I decided I'd rather be out in the sleet than in a garage on the turbo. I'm missing my commute during lock down which brought routine to the enjoyable misery of daily cycling in the dark, cold and wet. Harder to motivate when not essential.

Not remotely intended to be critical I hasten to add - just musing.

I don't have to ride a bike for a commute or other reason. I do it generally for health and fitness benefits, because I like the freedom of riding round the local lanes and because I do like tinkering with bikes.

Given all that I see no reason to go out just to say I've been out. Guy up the road from me claims to ride a minimum of 5 miles every day. Whatever the weather. Not my idea of fun, but it takes all sorts.

Lovely sunny day here. From the window it looks great, from the garden it's bloody freezing:cold:

Until I can figure out a way round this Reynaud's problem I'll give the cycling a miss on cold days near zero. The pain really is excruciating.

I have a turbo trainer in the shed I could use but tbh it's not really my thing sitting indoors on a bike, legs going round and round but going nowhere. Luckily I live just 400m from the edge of the city and have some great countryside hills to walk in. My fingers don't get so cold without the added headwind effect of cycling.

Back in the day when I was competing and winning my winters were all spent in the garage following turbo programmes along the lines of 20 minutes in 53 x 12 followed by 5 minutes in some other gear. That went on for an hour and was hard both physically and mentally.

Now I have a Tacx smart trainer. I run their app on a tablet. Pick a route and I get a nice video of the road to watch. Sun always shines. I get performance indicators on screen and I can see other - real - cyclists. This morning I spent 90 minutes in southern Belgium in a real battle with someone called Henk. We will never meet again but it was fun while it lasted.

mythste

Veteran
image0 (1).jpeg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I do spend three nights a week twiddling away on the turbo and I must admit I'm really feeling the benefits.

However, for me my weekly rides are also really important. Winter riding is all about the gravel bike. Not only do my rides get me out and about with fresh air in my lungs, but they also give me loads of invaluable bike handling experience on snow and mud.

In common with many others, icey roads do scare the heck out of me and I will either completely avoid them, or in the case of my commute, I'll set off 15 minutes earlier and take my time around the places I know black ice forms.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
This is the thing as well. Black ice doesn’t form in random locations. It needs particular conditions and it’s usually just a few places under certain weather conditions it happens. So if you have a regular commute you’ll know where. Besides black ice isn’t invisible at night, the time many of us commute. You can see it in your lights, if you’re paying attention.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So if you have a regular commute you’ll know where. Besides black ice isn’t invisible at night, the time many of us commute. You can see it in your lights, if you’re paying attention.

That was what caught me out the other year, I noticed the sparkle of ice in my lights and thought I'd better take care at the corner at the end of the road. Then I drifted off into random other thoughts, next thing I was on the deck. Luckily no damage that time:blush:.

Top Bottom