Anyone been brave enough to cycle in this cold snap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most likely be out with the ice tyres.
Indeed. No bravery required! Well, as long as you can find routes away from the daffodil drivers trying to deal with ice by pressing the accelerator harder :rolleyes:

Attachments

• mpv-shot0045.jpg
    mpv-shot0045.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 5
  • mpv-shot0047.jpg
    mpv-shot0047.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 5
  • mpv-shot0048.jpg
    mpv-shot0048.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 5

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Out here in the fens there's nothing to stop the wind, and that easterly is right brutal. It's ok around the house as it's sheltered by trees, but outside the gate, no. Just... no.
What makes me slower in one direction makes me faster in the other!

I'm currently dealing with the windchill by wearing ski gear and army-pattern boots while riding the studded-tyred hybrid. :laugh:

The main difficulty with the quieter fen roads is remembering where the road edge is and if there is a drain beside it...

What makes me slower in one direction makes me faster in the other!

Cold face versus cold arse... :laugh:

The main difficulty with the quieter fen roads is remembering where the road edge is and if there is a drain beside it...

Tell me about it... Ice, especially black ice, is the big problem here as it's just been so damn wet, especially where it's shaded by the hedgerows... I don't have spiked tyres and ergo don't fancy ending up on the deck. :blush:

proletaratOne

I live in buffalo ny , this morning it was -10c

don’t really stop the show for me, wind protection protection is more important to me than heavy clothing...you heat up pretty quick if the wind isn’t hitting exposed skin

hand and ears are the exception to this... I bundle them up
Ice no probs
snow... they plow and salt pretty good here

and I know this is gonna sound stupid but I like the challenge and the odd looks I get from folks

Ok I’m also pretty new around here

what is this turbo you guys are speaking of

proletaratOne

Given that it looks like this outside and is currently minus 8, I think I’ll pass on cycling. Lol.

View attachment 573163
That looks gorgeous btw

nmfeb70

Hi,
It's been a pretty cold few days here in the UK. Each day I've thought about venturing out for a ride, but soon changed my mind once I feel how raw it is.
Anybody here been braver than me
^_^
Yes, I've continued with my daily seven mile ride up to the frozen lakes near me.
An extra layer, Thinsulate gloves, heat holder socks & a beanie under my helmet are a must. It's quite refreshing to ride on the fast frozen ground after struggling through the treacle-like, rain sodden surface conditions of a week ago. Get out there! (but take care!)

Top Bottom