Anyone been brave enough to cycle in this cold snap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The main concession I make is that I use a proper pair of skiing gloves (Head),
:laugh: They would work better on your hands than your head! ;)

Today is by far the worst day of this freeze for cycling here in Norfolk. No new snow means that I was riding on the old snow that had been slushed by sun and traffic, then frozen into hard ruts overnight. Even with studded tyres, the bike occasionally went squirrely which I think was the front tyre slipping sideways when it rested on a ridge of ice in between the studs, then they made contact and traction was regained.

Still a few riders out, but the older chap I often see on his old gold shopper was running even flatter tyres than normal, had his saddle right down and was scooting the bike over the worst ice. I warned him about the bit around the edge of the lorry park.

There was a jogger out too. I hope he had yaktrax or similar on!

I suspect tomorrow will be better, as long as the sun stays out, melts most of the snow and then we're back to simpler flat black ice in the usual trouble spots until the thaw on Sunday!

snorri

Legendary Member
I hadn't been cycling for a few days due to high winds and rain, then the winds died down and the snow started resulting in a uniform 20cm covering, and last night the temp got down to -14C, never mind, it's nice looking out over the blue sky and calm sea.
Cycling, no thanks, but I had the beach to myself today:smile:.

Attachments

• DSCF8543.JPG
    DSCF8543.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF8546.JPG
    DSCF8546.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 8

Drago

Legendary Member
I hadn't been cycling for a few days due to high winds and rain, then the winds died down and the snow started resulting in a uniform 20cm covering, and last night the temp got down to -14C, never mind, it's nice looking out over the blue sky and calm sea.
Cycling, no thanks, but I had the beach to myself today:smile:.
T'was -11 at 0600hrs when I arose this morning, and doubtless a degree or so colder than that earlier on when were were deep into the night. Not known weather like this for quite a while.

It is officially colder than usual in the UK (well, northerly bits):
The Met Office recorded a low of -22.9C in Braemar in the Scottish Highlands overnight. Forecasters believe it was the coldest night since temperatures dipped to 27.2C on 30 December 1995.
4 hours ago

Och aye! You northerners should be ready for anything:

Malcolm MacIntyre, of Braemar mountain rescue team, told BBC Radio Scotland conditions were crisp and clear. “It is a beautiful morning actually and it is really cold,” he said. “The snow is squeaky, which always signifies that it is really cold.”

But in a strange twist, Scottish firefighters have warned there is an “extreme” risk of wildfires across the Hebridean islands and west coast, mirroring similar problems during the “beast from the east” period of severe winter weather three years ago.

Fire crews battled a wildfire on the island of Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides on Wednesday, with similar incidents recorded on Skye, Harris and Bernera.

Bruce Farquharson, an area commander for the Scottish fire and rescue service, said very dry winter vegetation along the western coastline made conditions ideal for wildfires, and urged people to be extremely cautious with naked flames. “There are currently vast areas of countryside all over the country that are tinder-dry and vulnerable, this provides all of the ingredients for fire to take hold and spread,” he said.

johnblack

Über Member
Good ride this morning. Nothing fancy, a quick 14 mile loop out towards Easton Neston and back. It was coldmwith a capital 'C', and wuite slippery in places. Fortunately my finely honed professional EMS cycling skills, ninja like reactions, and ability to see into the near future all worked to keep me bald side up.
Easton Neston is on one of my off road loops. Very pleasant.

Milzy

Guru
Even my garage is 1 degree. I have to put oil heater on hours before or go buy a ceramic fan heater.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Easton Neston is on one of my off road loops. Very pleasant.
View attachment 573398

View attachment 573402
My on road commute looked like that last week :smile: road was closed for 3-4 days and now they have traffic lights whilst they med a gas leak and the culverts .

Someone i know decided to run to work rather than risk the bike and fell luckily only road rash , typically where i work is in the trent valley and its like another country no snow or ice , as soon as i start ascending out of the valley you hit the icy roads .

Top Bottom