Anyone been brave enough to cycle in this cold snap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Bitchin new shooz
20210210_170354.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Very erm....bright!

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
A banking hall, or a snow bank?

Oh the hall rather than snow... it was fairly icy here yesterday, so the fixie provided great control... so the snowfall overnight actually improved riding conditions, though all the busier road have been well gritted now.

Minus 6 today and 30 cm of snow when I popped out:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6307038

I was also out last week when it was Minus 9. It helps riding in the forest, no problems if I slip off!

I'll ride all through winter, not to bothered about the cold just layer up and off-road riding means no need to stress about icy roads.

You've been getting it colder up there I noticed. Tomorrow we get it here.

I'm commuting as normal, which will be interesting and rather chilly.

Milzy

Guru
Managed the festive 500 ok but this has been on another level. Could have put on warm clothes & hard man attitude but I wouldn’t have enjoyed it one little bit so there’s no need to put up with it & risk an off.

Managed the festive 500 ok but this has been on another level. Could have put on warm clothes & hard man attitude but I wouldn’t have enjoyed it one little bit so there’s no need to put up with it & risk an off.
Yes, it's interesting to think about "What if the 500k challenge was this week?" My average speed is massively down in these conditions. We have gritted roads but they're way too boring for 100k rides!

johnblack

Über Member
The main concession I make is that I use a proper pair of skiing gloves (Head), bike gloves just do not cut it, would probably be a bit too cumbersome on a roadie, they're staying in the shed with MTB trigger shift it's no problem.

Drago

Legendary Member
Good ride this morning. Nothing fancy, a quick 14 mile loop out towards Easton Neston and back. It was coldmwith a capital 'C', and wuite slippery in places. Fortunately my finely honed professional EMS cycling skills, ninja like reactions, and ability to see into the near future all worked to keep me bald side up.

Top Bottom