Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A trip out to get bread rolls but took the long way round... including a whizz through the wetlands flood water!

Just over 10 miles in some dodgy snow- no ice today- but it was fun, though very blustery on the top.

Attachments

• B273C257-2ED8-4E09-BBB3-B2ED118EA3BC.jpeg
    B273C257-2ED8-4E09-BBB3-B2ED118EA3BC.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 3E76B5A4-3E05-4AAB-84BA-14F37968C751.jpeg
    3E76B5A4-3E05-4AAB-84BA-14F37968C751.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 5
  • C8C3B716-6C97-4628-8C87-EA6A95435281.jpeg
    C8C3B716-6C97-4628-8C87-EA6A95435281.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 0FEED525-EBEB-40BD-9C07-5509FA674CB1.jpeg
    0FEED525-EBEB-40BD-9C07-5509FA674CB1.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 5

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The temperature was just above freezing but a brisk north easter made the "feels like" temperature around -6 C. As I set out I spied bearded Brian. We rode at a social distance to The Rampings where he headed off for Bushley. We'd had a bit of a chat while snow fell. By the time I got to Forthampton the snow had stopped. Floods are going down slowly but still very high so I was required to take the Wickridge Street dodge from Chaceley. I took the Murrell's End route to begin my run back into that cold wind. Hedges and woods helped shield the worst at times but the exposed sections were tough going. Plenty of cheerful snowdrops along the lanes. Buzzards seemed to like hovering on the wind and woodpeckers amongst others were active. Might not feel like it but Spring is in the air. 49 smiles

colly

Re member eR
I have just noticed that my Garmin is 12 hours out. :blink: So my early morning rides look like an afternoon ride and vice versa. How did that happen ? Maybe it's been like that always???

This 'afternoon' I finally managed to get free from doing all sorts of nothing and dragged the bike out. 4pm it was and yet another break in the clouds and swirling snow. None of it has settled today so the roads were clear if a little damp. I didn't venture far from home just in case the threatened snow arrived in force. Yet again local roads taking in Easterly Road and Roundhay Park and out via Moortown and Shadwell to Stairfoot Lane. A loop somewhere near Lineham Farm then around the reservoir and back via The Dexter and Shadwell Lane to Moortown again. Street lane took me back to the clock and still feeling frisky I added another trip through the park. The snow had begun to settle on the road through the park. No traffic and only a few walkers left it pretty much undisturbed. I had to take it steady up the hill and at times could feel the rear wheel beginning to slip and lose traction. Then back to The Clock at Oakwood and up Easterly Road again to home.

All in it was 25.8 miles and 1626 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/62412675

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Lots of layers on and out to brave the cold this afternoon. The route was a slightly lengthened version of my regular Longnor - Acton Burnell - Harnage route by heading over Lyth Hill on the way out and the way back.

Although it was just above freezing the wind always feels bitter when you get easterly winds like this and today wasn't an exception. The roads are drying out fairly quickly and where they were still wet they weren't icy, which was good. I did run through some snow showers which didn't cause any bother - the snow was dry pellets so bounced or brushed off my clothes and there wasn't enough for it to settle on the road.

The wind direction gave the route a different feel as it made some roads feel easier but drastically slowed me down on the run from Longnor to Acton Burnell and Cound Moor. Usually I'd have a tailwind for most of this section and cruising speeds of 18 to 20 mph are easy on the favourable sections. Today I could only manage 11 or 12 mph for much of it.

There were very few people out walking or running which made it great for the social distancing. I only got a glimpse of two other cyclists during the whole trip.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention the tractor on the approach to Cound. I think its trailer had been loaded with lime and there must have been a fair bit of spillage as clouds of dust were streaming off various bits of the bodywork and looking like it was towing a James Bond style smokescreen.:laugh:

25.7 miles at 12.1 mph average.

The view from Lyth Hill with a few showers marching across the landscape.

Later on there is a more substantial shower about to obscure the Wrekin and heading my way.

A couple of shots from Cound. The flag of New Zealand was the one flying in the village today

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Still cold and windy with snow showers although the sun did appear a couple of times. Started out on my commuting route past the Moatshed but turned back to Whixall rather than to Wem, turned back to Northwood passing the other end of the lane I live down then to Bettisfield avoiding the large puddles which are hiding big potholes, over to Breadon Heath, Welshampton taking the lane by the church to Lyneal then to Loppington. As I wasn’t too cold I decided to go a bit further so turned by the pub to Nonely, Myddle turning back to Loppington in Burlton. Made slow progress in the cold wind to Brown Heath, English Frankton going past the woods to Lyneal back to Northwood taking the second turning home. Got home on 47.8km so went to the end of the lane and back to get past 50km just for @13 rider. Only saw one other cyclist and a couple of dog walkers.
Pictures from the woods going to Lyneal and Breadon Heath.

13 rider

Guru
Still cold and windy with snow showers although the sun did appear a couple of times. Started out on my commuting route past the Moatshed but turned back to Whixall rather than to Wem, turned back to Northwood passing the other end of the lane I live down then to Bettisfield avoiding the large puddles which are hiding big potholes, over to Breadon Heath, Welshampton taking the lane by the church to Lyneal then to Loppington. As I wasn’t too cold I decided to go a bit further so turned by the pub to Nonely, Myddle turning back to Loppington in Burlton. Made slow progress in the cold wind to Brown Heath, English Frankton going past the woods to Lyneal back to Northwood taking the second turning home. Got home on 47.8km so went to the end of the lane and back to get past 50km just for @13 rider. Only saw one other cyclist and a couple of dog walkers.
Pictures from the woods going to Lyneal and Breadon Heath.
View attachment 572904

View attachment 572906
I thought my ears were burning earlier :laugh: ,

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well with over 30cm's of fresh snow outside, I really couldn't resist going out for a play on the Gravel bike. It's been really cold these last days and minus 14 last night so the snow is really dry and like a soft powder. I set off after lunch when it had warmed up to minus 6 and headed west. The tracks leading to the forest had seen a lot of traffic and were relatively easy to find traction on.

After a few kilometres, the track winds between horse paddocks on the banks of the river and several cars had been down here. The wheel ruts left behind made for rough, but ridable tracks. The bike dancing and weaving along always on the edge of traction, but never quite losing it.

The going is slow in the soft powder however, I'm getting ample opportunity to practice my bike handling skills. After the horse paddocks, the car tracks dry up and I'm left floundering around in the deep powder finding traction wherever I can.

After a short uphill section, I find the snow getting ever deeper, until eventually I grind to a halt and a few hundred metres of hike a bike ensue.

Back on more solid ground, I continue on the larger forest tracks around the horse farm near Stedden. Rather than carry on my usual route down to the Hydro Electric plant I decide to make a short loop in the forest here, up and past the farm house. The first kilometres are deep and hard going, the track under the snow was all churned up with deep muddy ruts before the snow came, now it provides a rough frozen underlay to the soft powder snow.

Past the farmhouse, the track becomes more compacted again as I come out onto tracks that have been traversed countless times by cars in the last days, further on, a short downhill section brings me to the end of my loop and I set course for home. Pausing for a break and a drink from my frozen water bottle, the snow starts lazily falling again.

Not long after, as I'm battling through more deep powder, the clouds start to break and the late afternoon sun makes a brief appearance, colouring the landscape in the most beautiful light.

Onwards I ride, probably the slowest average speed I've managed, but loving every moment in this stark and beautiful winter landscape. The bike is probably not the most suitable for this, but the fun I've had has been immeasurable, my legs burning from the effort.

Overall it's been just under 16 kilometres of sheer crazy fun and remarkably, no crashing. The temperatures are not due to rise above freezing for another week, so plenty more time for some more snowy forest adventures.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Just a quickie today, a gap in meetings allowed for it. Dressed in ‘all the clothes’ I ventured out and stayed warm for the whole ride. I experimented with those Hot Hands sachets in my gloves and they worked well, no cold hands or fingers at all and I could feel the warmth as I rode. I also popped one in each overshoe on top of the toe area of my shoes but these didn’t make an appreciable difference - although my feet were not that cold anyway.

A mix of road and shared paths on my gravel bike.

ECDBB404-7098-46D3-B3E3-D1767FE9E877.jpeg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Cloudy start, icy patches, snow flurries and sunshine to finish. An enjoyable 12 mile pootle, albeit on main roads.
Icy 10th Feb 21.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I saddled up despite some snowflakes falling. They didn't last long but the temperature was just above freezing and the wind chill took it down to -2 C equivalent. We rode to Callow End and detoured to Pixham Ferry where the River was back between its banks. We looped back homeward by Clevelode where we purchased a Hellebore from a roadside plant sale. Mrs 26 headed for the warmth as I took to the Castlemorton lanes and rode to Longdon Marsh where floods are still all around but the lane is clear. I took the Queenhill loop before taking to The Boynes and Brotheridge Green for home. Despite there being a fair amount of ice around the lanes had mostly dried out in this cold wind. There were a few patches of ice on the roads but they were easily avoided by dismounting briefly. Safety first for me! 36 smiles

geocycle

Legendary Member
Well, I was expecting snow apocalypse this week but had three freezing cold but bright sunny days! With dry roads the risk of ice was low even though temperatures below freezing. Managed to get out each lunchtime for a 12-13 mile ride on the Thorn up to a local wind turbine. View across the Conder valley toClougha Pike and across Morecambe Bay to a snowy Lake District.

colly

Re member eR
A sunny day so what can I do ?
Out at around 10 am with the intention of a longish ride. A quick loop before I set off in earnest and I found that after just 3 miles I was feeling dead. Legs aching, every stroke was an effort, it was hard work, and was it cold? Oh dear me yes it was. :sad: I almost gave in and turned for home.
I didn't, because I've been here before and sometimes one just needs to get into it a bit and let things settle down.
I had a route in mind and so I pressed on. Out of Leeds via Shadwell and East Keswick and into Wetherby by way of Linton.
14 miles in and I was only just coming to terms with things, each upwards turn of the road though brought misery.
Out from Wetherby into the Easterly wind, past the race course (racing on the 12th apparently for those that like such things) and I was STILL pondering a turn for home. Past Bickerton and the last viable get out slipped behind me as I pressed on to Tockwith and Rufforth. I finally seemed to get into some kind of rhythm and found I was relaxing into the effort and the ride. York ring road came and went and as I slid down into York via Acomb I felt much better.
York is a busy place traffic wise but as it happened I pretty much just cruised through despite having to stop at almost every set of lights and every pedestrian crossing.
Out from York on the unusually quiet A19 rather than the Solar Way cycle path, only because the roads were free of ice and snow. Cyclepaths around where I live are as slippery as it gets. I was cruising along passing the turn for Escrick and stopping near Ricall for a 'comfort break'. I think that's what we call a pi55. Down into Barlby and then into Selby, passing the old BOCM place where it looks like they are pulling many of the old massive grain silos down.
Once over the old toll bridge I was heading for home, but what's this ? A headwind ? I was promised easterly winds today and I imagined sliding back into Leeds for the last 20 miles with a nice push at my back. As it was I was pushing into a block headwind, not all that strong to be fair but it was icey. I stopped at Monk Fryston for a pastie and a coffee, both of which were very welcome. It was only a local shop and no seats so I was stood outside in the cold. I hopped back on right after scoffing. :sad: I could have wandered about letting it digest a bit but it was too damn cold and I didn't want to get chilled.
Heavy legs after the stop soon disappeared but it was still a slog for the last 14 miles or so. I was tempted to do a few local laps to get over the 70 mile mark and considered it for all of .5 seconds. Bugger that.

62.5 miles and 2150 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/62474554

Last edited:
Top Bottom