Anyone Been To Tunisia??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robson3022

Looking at holidays for the summer. There's some great value on all inclusive deals to Tunisia? Ive never been and don't know anyone else that has.

Just looking for some sun and relaxing for a week.

What are peoples opinions?

Thanks in advance!!!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I went in January 2004 for a week near Sousse. During the week we travelled by local train (cheap) and went on a trip to see the Roman ruins there.

We hired a car (Peugoet 106) and drove to Douz on the edge of the Sahara (and back) for the day to ride on a camel :wacko: .

Just be careful of the local traders, don't get bullied and buy bottled water.

Overall it was a really good week; the locals were generally very friendly and many spoke English as well as French. I'd go back again ...

Ruary

I was there in October, stayed at Port El Kantaoui, it was nice, proper tourist resort, nice beaches, lovely harbour and cheap beer/food outside the AI hotel we stayed in.
You do get the usual hassle from the locals trying to sell you stuff all the time and maybe it was worse as we had the child with us, she's 4 and an easy taget for the sales pitch.
We're planning on going back but I'd avoid Sousse it was certainly not a pleasant place to visit so I couldn't fancy staying there.

akb

Veteran
Yes, we stayed in Hammannet last May, lovely All Inc hotel called the Riu Marco Polo. Lovely hotel with private pool and beach; great service from the staff and managment. We went with Thomson All inc, and we had no issues. The only problem we had was our plane got diverted to a smaller airport due to cleaners being strike at the main airport of Monastir, so we had an extra 30 mins on our transfer time. This is quite a regular occurence apparently.

Stay in the tourist areas, dont let the local folk bully you into buying from their stalls or buying their services. Shop around for deals on day trips and goods and dont be scared to haggle. Most locals will give the 'i work in your hotel' spiel, they probably dont and is a good way for them to get chatting to you to sell you something.

Apart from that we had a very enjoyable holiday and would definitely be going back.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been there for three days and I didn't enjoy it at all, admittedly it was a business trip and in winter but I found it depressing, the towns were lacklustre, the streets muddy and the Police looked like Nazis. All the Tunisians were dressed demurely in winter black but every now and again you would bump into European or Russian tourists, acres of ghastly wrinkled flesh on display, tattoos, sandals and bellies hanging out. The only beach I saw was filthy and rocky and my prospective agent didn't stop haranguing me about terms and prices. His family were charming and hospitable though. I'm quite glad we didn't sign an agency agreement as I'd have had to go back there. Next on my disliked list is Cyprus, another boring place in the Med.

I expect all these places are OK if you are happy to lie on a beach with your mind in neutral though.

gbb

Legendary Member
We did Sousse last year.
You HAVE to go to these places with realistic expectations or you're just headed for disappointment if your standards are high. Its NOT Spain, Greece etc etc, and to expect it to meet standards there is not on.
But, having holidayed all over the place, there are ALWAYS parts of any holiday that are brilliant, while accepting some parts are less desireable.
The beaches at Sousse, soft sand, lots of it, warm clean sea (although one day after winds it did pick up a lot of seaweek particles.)
Our hotel, which by reviews was one of the better ones, was clean, right on the beach with its own cordonned off area to deter the beach sellers.
They do the hard sell on the beaches and in town, but not as bad as Egypt, not by a long chalk. Same in town, hard sell, but you can easily fend it off.
Sousse town is to be frank, pretty much a dump. The market is 'ok', there's not that much there.

We took a long long hot walk to Port El Kantoui (too far, too hot with hindsight)...a lovely looking harbour, reasonable shops but didnt see that much of it. Looks a lot better kept than Sousse.

The wife did get a bout of salmonella while there, could have been the hotel, maybe outside. That was unfortunate to say the least.

Realxing on the beach with friends made out there, using the quite moderately prices water jetskis and parasailing, we had a really good time, very relaxing.
Food...mediocre. Had much better, Egypt was worse.
People...really quite friendly, did have one occasion when a beach seller almost got the better of me and almost made me part with ridiculous money for a coke !! Be vigilant.

I enjoyed it for what it was, a bargain basement holiday that was ok, but i'm a get your head down person, find the good bits and concentrate on those. Some bad bits, some good. The alternative was to spend a considerable amount more and go to Spain etc...and ive had worse holidays in Spain.

gary r

Guru
Another vote for Port El Kantaoui, we went there a few years ago, a modern harbour.not a lot to do but lounge about but good hotels.nice for a relaxing quiet rest.only a 2 hour flight and a short transfer

OP
OP
R

Robson3022

Thanks everyone. To be honest the aim of the holiday is to chill out in the sun. A few walks but to be honest its just a little time away relaxing so sounds like it should fit the bill!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why do people want to go to hot smelly rancid parts of the world and lie on a beach for two weeks? I was forced to go to Corsica for a week last summer and managed not to go near any sand.

Somewhere clean and fresh like Scotland for me, please.

OP
OP
R

Robson3022

I don't want to lie on the beach? I want to lie by the pool and if it takes my fancy go and see some of the culture of a place I have never been to. I also want it to be hot!! Very hot!!!

Top Bottom