Anyone braving the cold today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Wish I could. I can't ride at all til my back is a bit better. Then I'll be out whatever the weather is doing! :okay:

iandg

Legendary Member
About -1 to -2 air temp with a wind chill making it feel like it's -8. It's very dry here with no snow so the main roads are ice free. Did about 28km. Headed out into the wind but after about 6km the council workers were out ripping up the road with a convoy vehicle. Didn't fancy it both ways so came back to town and did some small loops around town.

Katherine

Guru
Got a tad parky after a couple of hours.
Bottle became a slush puppy:-

View attachment 397864
After that happenned to me last winter, I was advised by a cycling friend to put a rehdration tab (e.g. High 5) in the bottle. The salts change the freezing point and I have discovered that it works, no more slush puppies!
On the same ride, I was also advised to keep my phone in the warmest place, i.e. my back pocket, to protect the battery from the cold. As opposed to a bag on the handlbars!

Brandane

Legendary Member
what pressure did you run the spikes ?
At a guess, they will be about 50 psi front and rear - but I don't keep a close eye on pressures on the MTB as the tyres seem to hold their pressure well. I put 60 psi in them when I use the track pump, but haven't checked pressures for a while (a few weeks at least).

Jenkins

Legendary Member
After that happenned to me last winter, I was advised by a cycling friend to put a rehdration tab (e.g. High 5) in the bottle. The salts change the freezing point and I have discovered that it works, no more slush puppies!

Doesn't always work as I tried that on Tuesday for both parts of the commute. On the way in the contents froze at -4° in an hour and 15mins and on the way home the contents were slush at -2° in an hour and a half.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes commute both ways. On mtn bike in snow. No one else on back roads so super grippy snow rather than gritted and refrozen ice. Only -5C so not particulatly cold. Much colder in 2010 and nowhere near the -27C we got in the eatly 90's.

Maenchi

StoneDog
16 miles out to Godrevy point today, it was the first day with real snow and icy winds, not had a ride in the snow for years and thoroughly enjoyable it was too, only suffered a cold hand trying to take photos, gave the bike a full clean and re-lube on returning home, tires gripped fine in the fresh snow,rode through a blizzard and into the sun. ....maybe i'll do it again tomorrow...:wahhey:

Attachments

• WP_008215.jpg
    WP_008215.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 35

betty swollocks

large member
On the same ride, I was also advised to keep my phone in the warmest place, i.e. my back pocket, to protect the battery from the cold. As opposed to a bag on the handlbars!

I'll try that: thank you.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
@PeteXXX

They must have heard you're out for a ride today....

FB_IMG_1519890031403.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm tempted to go for a ride but I don't actually need to go anywhere until later (I could do with a bike part but it's not urgent) and then I'll need the car to transport things. Harumph! Nice problem to have, I guess.

Top Bottom