Anyone braving the cold today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Not too bad this morning. -3°C when I left for work this morning. Lots of traffic in queues, great to be able to just filter. Bit worried about the amount of salt and crap on the bike, so I'll jet wash it on the way home, it'll have to sit through the day though.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
NO!

Yeah, did my 50K challenge ride today, on the mtn bike though. The roads turned out to be OK, especially when the sun came out later but the smaller roads were pretty slippy when I took the dog for a walk so I passed on using the road bike. Temperature varied between 2 and -2 but mostly around 0.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just noticed the unconventional definition that @gavroche has for the seasons ... :whistle:

1st September, 2017:
Why are you all going on about winter? We still have 3 weeks of summer and a full 3 months of Autumn yet. Life is too short to wish it away like that.
So, winter starts in January ...

But, 20th February, 2018:
With winter coming to an end, there is no stopping you now. :okay:
Phew, thank heavens - that pesky 8 week winter is finished at last!

Todmorden, 28th 27th February, 2018:
Todmorden cricket ground.jpg

Anyone for cricket? :laugh:

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I'm in the club. As long as it's not icey, I'm riding.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would have ridden but taxi service first thing meant I had no time. Pesky motorists clogging up the roads ;)

BBC news at 8pm said it was the fault of light traffic that the gritting wasn't working. You know, after a day passing on police and government messages telling everyone not to travel. They make their own news stories :crazy:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
With all the right gear in place, I would love to ride on these sunny mornings, but I'm recovering from a chest infection, still not got full use of my lungs yet & I have been off the bike for over a week now :sad:

Maybe Friday a gentle pootle to work might be allowed.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Had 2 miles of fun on the recumbent trike this morning, -3C but suitably dressed only the face was cold

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I am in Ashford, Kent and it was -6 this morning. I had the day off yesterday which was nice as mums school was closed so myself, mum, dad and the dog went for a lovely walk and it was just a great day.

I was not looking forward to the early commute anyway. I start work at 6:15, I usually leave at 5:45am in good conditions! I woke up at 4am, all wrapped up - took a broom out and cleared the car IN THE PITCH BLACK!!!. The roads where I live (rural Ashford) don't get gritted so it's a 50/50 chance whether you die or not!

Thankfully my colleague stepped in and did the earlier shift so I didn't die - I was so annoyed with the main roads not being gritted! It's such a busy road, I didn't get out of 2nd gear or above 20mph!!

Not looking forward to driving home at all!! I cannot believe all the mad people driving in early to do swimming and fitness classes IN THEIR CARS?! It's like GET A GRIP.

By the by, reminded by charlotte's post, are roads gritted less these days? Am from rural lancs and very definitely have the impression that they are far less cleared than of old.

Wouldn't altogether surprise me as, outside the london bubble, the county council can no longer afford many libraries, nor many rural buses to stir up the slush.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
By the by, reminded by charlotte's post, are roads gritted less these days? Am from rural lancs and very definitely have the impression that they are far less cleared than of old.

Wouldn't altogether surprise me as, outside the london bubble, the county council can no longer afford many libraries, nor many rural buses to stir up the slush.

I definitely think they are gritting less - it's ridiculous - I mean face it, our country is not set up for snow - no extra money for gritting lorries and It's just depressing.

We have local farmers who have been helping, thankfully, but it is still scary. By looking at the most recent forecast, it has changed, still under freezing all day for the next 2 days but no more snow forecast! It just means hopefully the snow will be broken up eventually?!

Top Bottom