Anyone braving the cold today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
:smile: Yes and although the weather isn't great (it can surely rain and rain) the Ribble Valley is beautiful. And apparently has one of the lowest densities of traffic lights in the country. By the by, at the risk of boring non locals, if you've never been, next time you are in Downham, pop in the church, turn round, look out of the church porch towards Pendle. A particularly wondrous view - apologies if you already know this.

Is this the view you mean? I took this a couple of years ago when me and Mrs Rh went for a drive up the Ribble Valley to Downham, as well as a few other places nearby, such as Roughlee, Barley, Whalley and Sabden.

It is a wonderful part of the world, like a time warp back to the 1950s (or what I imagine that would be like). There is a small shop in a cottage about 200 yards down the road from there that sells very nice ice cream, it also sells bantams' eggs so we buy a box or 2 whenever we visit.
upload_2018-2-26_17-1-7.png

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
IMG_2472.JPG
I did 35 miles and 1400 feet of hill things. Bit fresh. Buckinghamshire.

Hi Roadump

I do hope you realise that you are encouraging very serious thread drift here, but:

yes, that's pretty much the view, though (no disrespect to your photography) it doesn't really do it justice. I sat on that bench on Christmas day - shamefully the only time I got out on the bike for a very short tootle that still caused gf problems. If you follow that path to the right you can sometimes go through a door in the wall to another nice-ish view, albeit you are trespassing into someone's very nice large garden.

>> like a time warp back to the 1950s (or what I imagine that would be like).

Not sure I'd go that far :smile:

(though if I told you that both of my parents worked in cotton mills and that at Christmas as a special treat the owner of one of them used to play his organ to the workers in an upstairs room of the mill you might think it positively Victorian :smile:

edit:

>> also sells bantams' eggs so we buy a box or 2 whenever we visit.

I know another place not too far away that does as well. I was intrigued by the wayside sign selling them as my granddad used to keep them. When I asked the old lady whether, as sometimes rumoured, bantam eggs were particularly good/healthy/potent in some way, she was honest enough to say: "not really, they are just smaller". I bought some anyway.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Is this the view you mean? I took this a couple of years ago when me and Mrs Rh went for a drive up the Ribble Valley to Downham, as well as a few other places nearby, such as Roughlee, Barley, Whalley and Sabden.

It is a wonderful part of the world, like a time warp back to the 1950s (or what I imagine that would be like). There is a small shop in a cottage about 200 yards down the road from there that sells very nice ice cream, it also sells bantams' eggs so we buy a box or 2 whenever we visit. View attachment 397529
Was in and around Downham yesterday with the kids,had a walk up Pendle hill aswell.Was in the ice cream/cafe you mention.You know your getting old when I ate two cups of soup shivering and they ate cake and ice cream outside ! As for pictursque it certainly is.Downham has been used quite a bit for tv,im pretty sure its owned by someone as your not allowed satellite dishes or changing of things.Theres no signs for the villiage if I remember rightly.

pretty sure there are signs to it Adam.

Or do you mean on entering?

It was most famously used of course in Whistle Down the Wind, an excellent film. Used lots of local kids.

Were you riding with mark etc, coming back through Clayton Vale? If so I was the weary guy on a MTB that shared the ride through.

Guilty as charged

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
16km and a bit done on the school run. Wasn’t too bad wearing a down coat and my Nepalese beanie. New neoprene gloves worked a treat. Youngest daughter was perched behind me listening to Nirvana on the Bluetooth speaker and wearing two coats. I didn’t hear one moan. Negative 3 Celsius.

Well...Until I was riding straight into the wind from the east. Slow and cold.

Last edited:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
@Blue Hills Yes, perhaps a bit off topic, so I won't post the other pics I took that day in this thread. Taking a couple of steps to get back on topic, I would say that, that area must be amazing cycling country, but being from the flatlands and getting on a bit, I imagine I would struggle immensely riding over that terrain. We visit there a few times a year, but considering that Ashurst Beacon https://www.hmiddletoncc.co.uk/blog/hill-5-ashurst-beacon is abour the most challenging hill I take on, I am in awe of the cyclists I see out there and in Bowland. I am not too bothered by the cold, but with the increased likelihood of ice at times like this, and the potential danger that causes, especially on a rapid descent, I wouldn't even contemplate it.

Top Bottom