Anyone braving the cold today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Agree - round Pendle there often appears to be surface run off, trickles down lanes on a pretty substantial part of the year. London groups I used to ride with would often cancel any ride that went anywhere near the north downs if the temperatures dropped.

Praps my wariness of ice dates from my Vespa days :smile:

The Nick would be a very good example of a hill we would dodge in this weather and one we would seek out on better days.

Though saying that I don’t recall seeing much run off on the Nick other than when there has been very heavy rain.

Though saying that I don’t recall seeing much run off on the Nick other than when there has been very heavy rain.

Was thinking of the lanes round Worston leading up and round the hill to Barley. Often "streams" down the road there. Seems to make the area pretty hellish for punctures as well- lots of sharp debris in the run-off. I well remember one hellish day having to sort two punctures in the freezing cold :sad:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Brought the van to work today:sad: Quite happy to ride in cold, but not prepared to risk ice & snow for the sake of saying I cycled in. If todays threat of snow is the same tomorrow then I'll be back on the bike in the morning since it seems to have been a mountain from a molehill....

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Was thinking of the lanes round Worston leading up and round the hill to Barley. Often "streams" down the road there. Seems to make the area pretty hellish for punctures as well- lots of sharp debris in the run-off. I well remember one hellish day having to sort two punctures in the freezing cold :sad:
Very true but the consolation is we always have a fabulous ride over to Barley via Sabden to Downham. Spectacular views and good cafe.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
70D94653-1EAA-40B9-91AD-CB111FA15A79.jpeg

Lovely pedal around Pitsford Res this morning.
Puddles were a bit crunchy though ❄️

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Gonna give it a miss today. The temperature is about zero which isn't too bad once you get going. But it's windy with snow showers so all in all, rather unpleasant for what should be an enjoyable activity

Looking at the forecast it seems to be getting worse before it gets better too

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ok who gave me man flu ?
Full of snot , went hot and cold last night .

Not like i was going to attempt it on night shift with -5 forecast anyway as im wary nowadays after last years interesting riding.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Be setting off to work in less than an hour probably be quite cool by the time I finish at 6am in the morning I imagine. Slow and steady ride back is the plan

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Did the commute today on my new build and it wasn't that cold

Expecting it to be a lot colder tomorrow though

Will probably sling the ice tyres and flats on it, just in case

ozboz

Guru
just got back from 15m ride , again ok going but hard coming back , and the first time in 3 years my feet are frozen , will be much worse in the week they say ,

Very true but the consolation is we always have a fabulous ride over to Barley via Sabden to Downham. Spectacular views and good cafe.
:smile: Yes and although the weather isn't great (it can surely rain and rain) the Ribble Valley is beautiful. And apparently has one of the lowest densities of traffic lights in the country. By the by, at the risk of boring non locals, if you've never been, next time you are in Downham, pop in the church, turn round, look out of the church porch towards Pendle. A particularly wondrous view - apologies if you already know this.

Top Bottom