Anyone braving the cold today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Just a short ride today, a solo ride due to my two cycling buds wimping out due to the cold weather.

Loved it. Glorious clear blue skies, the wind wasn’t that bad to be fair and there was plenty of like minded cyclists out enjoying the winter sunshine. Even though the Garmin didn’t get above -2 degrees I wasn’t cold in my deep winter gear.
41 miles on the Mercian up 3 local climbs.
Happy days

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I did 78 last Sunday, Wednesday 66 (beautiful), Friday 62 (cruel, cold wind), Saturday 56 (cold). The bike said she would like a lay in today!!!

I have a theory. We had virtually no wind yesterday and today. The temperature was around 2-3C. Does riding create a wind chill factor equal to one’s speed. Riding at 16mph is equivalent wind chill to standing still in a 16mph wind??

None of you folks worried about ice in sub zero temperatures?

Or even a bit above zero when there has been a prolonged sub zero overnight?

I'm always wary of ice - well remember being angry with a ride leader who could have got a couple or more of us killed when, not much to my surprise, we slid off on black ice on a busy road.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

I'm always wary of ice - well remember being angry with a ride leader who could have got a couple or more of us killed when, not much to my surprise, we slid off on black ice on a busy road.

Nope, studded tyres on the hybrid

wormo

Guru
70 miler for me out towards Chester. Set off 7.45. No ice. Lovely out of breeze, a little hard into the breeze. Only my 4th ride of the year, so wanted to get out.

Katherine

Guru
Well done to everyone who braved the cold for a ride today. It was stunning today but that wind! I don't mind though, it's still better than rain or storms. We have been having some really good turn outs on club rides this winter despite having to cancel a few for bad weather and enforcing our mudhuard rule. We saw loads of other groups out in the Cheshire lanes so plenty with the same idea.
Another 'all the layers' ride. I bought some Northwave winter boots with Christmas and birthday money which allow me to stay out for longer rides. Plus I bought a Buff in the January sales. I'm picking up some more toe warmers from Halfords next week as I used the last set today.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
These are actually my favourite conditions. Bright sunny weather and bone dry roads, but with frost off the side of the road. You can always layer up and generate your own heat. I struggle to cool down in extremely hot weather, and would always prefer a dry Winter ride. I did come across one little patch of ice today, but it was nothing like as dangerous as the massive potholes everywhere around this part of Gloucestershire. Some of them would have been given names if they were on the moon.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Slight thread drift, but I get dried blood showing in my nasal mucus the day after a long ride in sub-zero temperatures. I don't understand it as I work outside all day in the same temperatures and it never happens. Only on the bike.

Anyone have a plausible theory?

kipster

Guru
Did a 52 miler yesterday, and had a severe case of brain freeze in the first 2 miles. My face really ached and I really thought about turning around and going home, but stuck with it and it warmed up nicely. Went out again today, and I didn't think it was as cold, although it did feel chilly after the café stop, and the ride home was into a head wind.

Buck

Guru
I’m hoping to get out later. Let it warm up a degree or two! I’ve got a silly tickle cough at the minute so don’t want to make it worse - will end up like a bank robber with a snood over my face!

Forecast has some sun for this PM so might make it more bearable.

Well,I did manage to get out - just 11 chilly miles but great to be out and enjoying the sunshine ^_^

PS. A bit weird quoting myself!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
15 mile slow round trip for a quick catch up with my Mum and to get soiime milk and then a 35 miler this afternoon. Both in beautiful, bright sunshine but with a biting cold wind - especially this afternoon.

Thermals have been laid out ready for tomorrow's commute.

Buck

Guru
Slight thread drift, but I get dried blood showing in my nasal mucus the day after a long ride in sub-zero temperatures. I don't understand it as I work outside all day in the same temperatures and it never happens. Only on the bike.

Anyone have a plausible theory?

When you’re working you are probably not exerting yourself to the same level as when on the bike and the small capillaries can easily get damaged.

If you get nosebleeds other than this, it can be a sign of hypertension or high blood pressure.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Zero or thereabouts but bone dry....humidity about 50%. No worries.

sarahale

Über Member
I was too hot within about 10mins first thing. It was warmer than I was expecting and had a very effective wind proof layer on.

Then decided to go out on a horse in just a jumper and was far too cold.

Top Bottom