Anyone braving the cold today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Sat on the sofa at the moment.
Which I must add is doing a very good job of pulling me back every time I go to get up and get ready for my planned 40 mile ride over Waddington Fell.
The inner conversations nay excuses for not going out are coming thick and fast...

The one thing I know for sure, the sofa will not win...:whistle:

damj

Like cybernight had man flu this week. Not too bad up in the northeast today so feels like a missed opportunity, baring in mind what’s to come.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I had plans for a sunrise start, got up @ 6am looked at the weather forecast (ie looked out the window) saw the frost on the ground and thought 's*d that' and went back to bed. I'm just about getting over a broken hip from last year and didn't want to take the risk. Probably go out later when it's warmed up to, oh I don't know, 5°C?

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just remebered i bought the 365 helmet with visor :becool: I may look stupid but ill be warm ..... i hope !

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My stepson what's ap me to go for a quick ride at 11ish. He hasn't been on the bike since last October so I agreed. All dressed and ready to go now, just waiting for him to turn up. He wanted to go at 8 this morning, told him too cold at that time.
DIY this afternoon though.

Venod

Eh up
Probably, but I didn't go out for my club's 6am ride

Are they riding to, then completing The Tom Simpson Memorial Ride ?

Some clubmates set off at 07:00 to do it 100 mile plus when done, its far too cold for me.

Rest day today probably the turbo for the rest of the week, I am currently doing a circuit of Skye (on the turbo)

Alan O

Über Member
Around 42 miles yesterday, with a lot of the homeward leg against a strong cold wind. Heading out again today for a shorter ride of probably around 8-10 miles. A bad back kept me off the bike for a bit this month, but I only need another 6 miles now to make 150 miles for February - nothing compared to some of you folks, but not bad for a fat old bloke like me ^_^

*Update: I made the effort, but it wasn't long before the bitter wind started freezing the ends of my fingers and toes, so I turned for home. I managed 6.5 miles, which is enough.

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
Day off today ; I think.
Monday , a few hours work, so the bike will be out for that.
Tuesday , trip to the dentist.( On bike ) Few miles on the bike.
Wednesday , it's a few miles to a local tattoo shop ( pics to follow ) . Might have to wear shorts!
Wednesday night , midweek Celtic game , 15 mile round trip.
Thursday , some more work miles.

5 day forecast is pretty much the same as today.
Thermals/ base layers etc are on standby.

D

Deleted member 1258

Our son called of their visit about half nine so I've nipped out for a short ride before taking my Good Lady out for lunch.

Nope, I'm still operationally defective after last weeks unplanned acrobatics, the swelling has gone down a bit on me knee, but it still hurts like a bastard !!

Was supposed to do the Cambridgeshire No Excuses ride yesterday, but that and the football had to be binned.

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Will very probably be out a lot next week well wrapped up and pedalling hard to generate heat. With good wind blocking I don't think it will be too bad - probably feel better than most pedestrians. Almost froze to death yesterday in the wind doing some outside bike maintenance in preparation for the week's icy blast - can't see the bike getting much maintenance next week. Have thought better of my long arranged plan to cycle from Newark back to London on Wednesday with a bivvy en route. Have done this before (from Birmingham twice - and once at this time of year) but I think the weather devils saw me coming this time.

Top Bottom